What music stores on Oahu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What music stores on Oahu?

Y'know, Kimo ... their guitars aren't made in Hawaii, by people born and raised here. So you probably wouldn't be interested.

Comment

'scuse me while I throw up my made in socal tamale.. WHAAAT!?
      'taint so! damn
      they fooled me again.

Pick up my guitar and play
      Just like yesterday
      Then I'll get on my knees and pray
      We don't get fooled again
      Don't get fooled again
      No, no!

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza

Y'know, Kimo ... their guitars aren't made in Hawaii, by people born and raised here. So you probably wouldn't be interested.
        Touchet.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
          Pick up my guitar and play
          Just like yesterday
          Then I'll get on my knees and pray
          We don't get fooled again
          Don't get fooled again
          No, no!
          Some classic stuff there, Kimo. I saw them at the LA Coliseum ('82) and it was the best concert I'd ever been to.

Comment

Originally posted by Kekaha Roots
            There is a Tower Record in Honolulu.
            Also in Kahala Mall.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
              fave guitar shops are basically all three;
              kailua one.
              island guitars.
              Kapahulu one.

and then special realllyyy cheap deals on shit like a marshall halfstack... or an effects pedal... a kickaround studio/practice guitar, honolulu craigslist has stuff pop up pretty often, i find.
              Kailua - COCONUT GROVE MUSIC
              Kapahulu - GOODGUYS MUSIC

Also, EASY MUSIC (Young-Keeaumoku, soon to move to 1314 South King); DAN'S GUITARS (Beretania-McCully); MUSIC MAC (Pearlridge Uptown); HARRY'S MUSIC (Waialae Ave. between 9th and 10th).

Another TOWER RECORDS in Pearl Kai Center. SAM GOODY'S in Pearlridge Downtown, Ala Moana, Windward Mall.
              Last edited by oceanpacific; August 14, 2006, 05:11 AM.

Comment

I was just about to mention Easy Music. I'm not a musician so I can't speak to their 'cred,' but they seem to do good business, have a very messy store (always a plus), and know their stuff.

I didn't even think to look there, once upon a time, for various computer interface stuff for music... but it turns out they carry a smattering of gadgetry, including a couple of Flash-based portable recorders I was checking out online. Same price, no shipping charge or wait, and I got to fondle the stuff before buying.

And yeah, they're moving soon. Probably a little harder to find than their current spot, but supposedly much bigger... and it'll give 'em a chance to reorganize their store layout a bit!

Comment

Don't be surprised if the Tower Records locations close very soon. Due to non-payment of bills, all the major suppliers of discs cut off shipments to the company last week.

Comment

Originally posted by LocalMotion

Are there any big music stores on Oahu like Sam Ash, Guitar Center, etc?
                    Here's a listing of some music stores on Oahu to help get you started, although I don't think you'll be finding a store that will even come close inventory-wise to the ones you mentioned above.

Comment

Kailua - COCONUT GROVE MUSIC -- extremely tiny store and very limited inventory. http://www.coconutgrovemusic.com/

EASY MUSIC (Young-Keeaumoku, soon to move to 1314 South King) -- By far the best of the bunch named so far. (See Island Guitars, below.) http://www.easymusiccenter.com/

DAN'S GUITARS (Beretania-McCully) -- Lots of local musicians have had "issues" with this small store. Use extreme caution. http://www.dansguitars.com/

MUSIC MAC (Pearlridge Uptown) -- Limited inventory and a lot of off-brand items. Staff's background was in asking "Would you like fries with that order?".

HARRY'S MUSIC (Waialae Ave. between 9th and 10th) -- An island institution, and obviously the choice for sheet music; limited inventory of instruments. http://www.hawaiibid.com/harrysmusicstore/

And I don't think anyone mentioned Island Guitars, in Ward Centre. Absolutely the most extensive inventory, and the most knowledgable and helpful staff. http://www.islandguitars.com/

I'd go to Island Guitars first, then Easy Music.
                      The others are just... amusing.
                      Last edited by LikaNui; August 14, 2006, 08:55 AM. Reason: Added links

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

There's another guitar place (maybe it's been mentioned above) on the second deck of the Harbor Center warehouse shopping place. It's above Jellys. Can't remember the name off the top of my head, though.
                        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

abbbbbssoooooolutteeeeellyyy hate Easy Music Center...blah!

like harry's..even my pop's goes there.. first stop after they land from the Big Island!

still put in my vote for Hot Licks though.

but if you're looking for deals Musician's Friend is a good place to place orders. was able to get a half stack for $499 with shipping it was less than $600 which is considerably less if we bought it any of the music stores, got a GT6 effect pedals for less than $199. oh and American Musical Supply. their prices are comparable. oh and if ya need to you can also get stuff from MusicGuyMic...i don't know what he has in inventory aside from ukeleles but he also sells guitars n such. if you really want/need it i'll send you his website but i dont know what it is right off the bat.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                            There's another guitar place (maybe it's been mentioned above) on the second deck of the Harbor Center warehouse shopping place. It's above Jellys. Can't remember the name off the top of my head, though.
                            That's HOT LICKS .........

Comment

Interesting thread...

Here are my takes on it (as a gigging musician):

Easy Music has some good prices that will match ordering from the mainland... I bought two speaker cabinets from them... Ther people working there are generally knowledgeable. They are in the midst of moving, so the place is in a shambles, but from next month they claim to be having a big moving sale.

Good Guys might have some things, but the place is so chaotic I usually leave after a few minutes. String prices are good, though.

Dan's Guitars has a good selection of new and used. New depends on what maker you're looking for. Used is whatever. They recently expanded, and the acoustic section is looking good. Plus, the guys working there are generally straight up working musicians.

Island Guitars was not bad when they were behind where Dixie Grill on Ward is now, but they moved to Ward Warehouse, and now the prices are off the charts. Most people I know stay away from there. More of a boutique place for rare used stuff.

I haven't been to Coconut Grove in Kailua since I bought my last acoustic in '93. But I'm looking for another one, and will get there in the next week. That last experience a decade ago was great, though.

Harry's Music is a pretty crusty, archaic place. Not much there in terms of instruments, altough they are known for their sheet music. There are some brass and woodwind behind glass, and a percussion department I haven't ventured though. I've purchased many a book of arpeggios and drills over the years there. Plus, the place is a few blocks from my house. Wouldn't buy any instruments or equipment there, though. I did buy some strings there once, only because I was desperate - very expensive.

One thing to note, however, is that selection is limited here in Hawaii, especially with new stuff. I wanted a certain GK cabinet and had to order (and pay for shipping) from the mainland just because it's not carried here in Honolulu.

I wonder what the impact of the internet has been on music stores here in Hawaii... I mentioned earlier about Easy Music matching internet prices. But that's only on what they carry. If I want something obscure, I'm still stuck with ordering from the mainland. And shipping (almost always 2nd day air) is crazy.

Comment

I haven't been to the monthly Musicians Swap Meet in the parking lot at Easy Music for a while. Used to find some great deals there. Anyone been recently?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X