• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WindwardOahuRN
    replied
    Re: Debating job offer

Originally posted by LeiKaina
    My best friend is a RN and lives about 3 hours away from NYC in central NY. She makes only about $9 less than the highest pay on there and only pays $500 rent. With rents the amount they are in O'ahu it's sad that it doesn't equal out to that much more at all. Not too appealing for a nurse to go to the islands unless she/he wants to live there for some reason or another.
    The sad thing is that it's often not appealing to new local nurses to stay here, either.

I've helped precept quite a few new grad nurses here and many of them have left for the mainland, usually either California or Las Vegas. A real shame, too---they were all great kids, bright, eager, and enthusiastic, and I'm sure they've become wonderful nurses.

Years ago a nurse had to work at least a year after graduating to be thought of as desirable to a recruiter. Not anymore. They've got endless opportunities in virtually any place they want to go, with hospitals ready and willing to train new grads in just about any specialty area.

Hawaii is starting to almost match some areas of the country as far as the hourly rate of pay for nurses but falls way short on the valuable perks such as vacation time, shift and weekend differentials (the ones listed on the Queens website are terribly paltry in comparison to those paid in other areas of the country), pay for specialty areas and certifications, and flexible scheduling.

So we continue to lose our bright young local nurses and continue to see articles about the desperate need to expand nursing programs to provide more nurses for Hawaii, all along ignoring the fact that so many of the ones who are trained here leave for greener fields elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• Lei K
    replied

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN
    Actually, an experienced RN here makes more than that.

http://queens.org/jobs/rnsalary.html

Still a tremendous shortage here, though.
    My best friend is a RN and lives about 3 hours away from NYC in central NY. She makes only about $9 less than the highest pay on there and only pays $500 rent. With rents the amount they are in O'ahu it's sad that it doesn't equal out to that much more at all. Not too appealing for a nurse to go to the islands unless she/he wants to live there for some reason or another.

Leave a comment:

• 1stwahine
    replied

Originally posted by Lei Liko
    Why, hello there.

Hahahahahaha
    Go away! I asked first!!!

hahahahahaha

Lynn (No Auntie) Juss Lynn

Leave a comment:

• Lei Liko
    replied

Originally posted by youngrd2

I am 25, single...

The job offer carries an annual salary of $60,000 to start.
    Why, hello there.

Hahahahahaha

Leave a comment:

• WindwardOahuRN
    replied

Originally posted by Pomai
    I really thought you were going to say this was a medical position at St. Francis West, such as RN. I don't think even RN's get paid that much (which they should).

Actually, an experienced RN here makes more than that.

http://queens.org/jobs/rnsalary.html

Still a tremendous shortage here, though.

Leave a comment:

• Queenolu
    replied

Originally posted by luv2dive
    Kekaha Roots,

I live in Culver City, but that's only for another 2 weeks after which I'll be living in Kane'ohe on Oahu. In about 3 weeks I'll be meeting with my recruiter for the first time to start my job search. She's assured me that I shouldn't have a problem with finding a good job, I hope she's right. I have about 8 years of experience in Finance (budgeting, reporting, financial analysis, etc.). I'm looking to get a job that will give me more accounting experience, since I need that for my CPA.

I'll keep you posted. How serious are you about moving to Hawaii (Oahu or Kauai)? I know that Kauai doesn't have very many jobs, that was my first choice, but it doesn't have as much opportunity as Oahu.

Are you from Kekaha? My wife has a friend from there that still lives there.

If you don't mind, I will like to know what recruiter you are using as well.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Kekaha Roots
    replied

Kekaha Roots,

I live in Culver City, but that's only for another 2 weeks after which I'll be living in Kane'ohe on Oahu. In about 3 weeks I'll be meeting with my recruiter for the first time to start my job search. She's assured me that I shouldn't have a problem with finding a good job, I hope she's right. I have about 8 years of experience in Finance (budgeting, reporting, financial analysis, etc.). I'm looking to get a job that will give me more accounting experience, since I need that for my CPA.

I'll keep you posted. How serious are you about moving to Hawaii (Oahu or Kauai)? I know that Kauai doesn't have very many jobs, that was my first choice, but it doesn't have as much opportunity as Oahu.

Small world. I currently work in Culver City and, yes, my family is actually from Kekaha (they've been there for the last 110+ years). Most of them attended Waimea High.

Which recruiter are you using? You can send your response to my email, or PM, if you'd like. Anyway, I was quite serious about moving my wife & kids over to O'ahu a few years ago when I was at my previous job. I would still prefer to move to O'ahu if the right opportunity came up.

Yes, I remember your thread about living in Kane'ohe. Great choice! That's one of my favorite places in Hawai'i. Anyway, look forward to your responses. Mahalo.

Leave a comment:

• luv2dive
    replied

Kekaha Roots,

Leave a comment:

• Kekaha Roots
    replied

I'm in the process of moving over from Los Angeles now.
    Where in LA do you live? I live in Torrance. With my previous job I used to have an office in Pearl City & Wailuku and used to travel there quite a bit. I had seriously considered moving there two years ago because I have a lot of family on O'ahu & Kaua'i, but then I left that job. Like you, I have used a recruiter, but it's difficult as you mentioned. Good luck w/ your search and please keep me posted. Mahalo.

Leave a comment:

• 1stwahine
    replied

k-den. My turn to welcome The Financial Analyst! Aloha & Welcome!!! You'll love Hawai'i and the Ewa Beach area.

I'm Auntie Lynn.heheheh

$60,000? Wow! Need help spending it? Juss call me.

Nah, juss joking. Not!!!

Leave a comment:

• damontucker
    replied

On the mainland, if you continue to drive, you going end up on the other side of the planet!
    No...on the mainland if you continue to drive... you don't end up on the other side of the planet... you end up in an ocean.

Leave a comment:

• Dale
    replied

Yup. Went away and came right back. Can't handle the big rock since Hawaii has Zippy's, poke and also da beach! Plus, if you get lost, you just continue to drive. On the mainland, if you continue to drive, you going end up on the other side of the planet!

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

Originally posted by youngrd2
    Pomai,

No offense taken at all. I have three years of cost analysis experience within the defense industry, and I think that is what made me attractive to the hiring company. Just enough experience to know what I'm doing and not enough to have to pay me a sky high salary.

What can be so hard about analyzing costs? Yep it's cheaper at this store than at that store.

And are they still paying $5,000 for a toilet seat in the defense dept? I think another analysis is in order there.

Anyway I've met a few people who've moved from the Big Apple to Honolulu and the first thing they tell me is that we're too laid back. But we like it that way. I tell them that they're too wound up and to relax, this is Hawaii not the mainland. Come here to Keaau on the Big Island and it's more like going comatose.

Grab that job and welcome to Hawaii...you're gonna love it here!!

Leave a comment:

• luv2dive
    replied

I'm in the process of moving over from Los Angeles now. I also work in the Finance/Accounting field. I was a Finance Manager in Los Angeles for one of the movie studios. You're fortunate to have a job already. It's nearly impossible to get a job in Hawaii without already living there.

I'm using a recruiter and she told me not to start looking until I get over here. She however tell me that I shouldn't have a problem finding a good job with my experience. Fortunately, I was laid off in Los Angeles, so I'm able to collect unemployment until I find a job.

Anyway, I agree with one of the earlier comments that if you've never been you should visit first, because it's very different from New York.

Good luck with your decision.

Leave a comment:

• Dale
    replied

Ewa Beach is really laid back compared to NYC. I lived in Chicago for two years and guess what? It was too fast for me, and it wasn't NYC. $60K starting salary? My gosh, I wish I got that!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X