Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Second Stop: Eternal Sunshine

Originally posted by LikaNui
    Well, yeah, it never rains here in Hawai`i. The reason we have all these dense tropical rainforests and thundering waterfalls and daily rainbows and all that lush foliage everywhere is because it's always sunny and because it doesn't rain here.
    Uh-huh.

Like, oh, you know, those 43 straight days of rain that we had just six months ago.
    Uh-huh.

And FYI, the wettest place (highest annual rainfall) on planet earth is in, you know... Hawai`i.

[/scratching head at comments from those who apparently come from another planet]

I'm not trying to be mean to ya, Wanderlust06. I'm just trying to point out some facts that perhaps have escaped your attention, that's all.
    yes..but at least the rain is warm and you can enjoy it. here you duck for cover as it beats down on you and then quits only to leave you with a depressing overcast that has become cause for oregon to have the highest rate of sad in the us. if you don't like hawaii so much why do you live there? everyone i know says it's amazing...the people are amazing...the food is amazing...so if it rains then good...it'll help when i have that one second of homesickness.
    "Life is like the surf. So give yourself away to the sea."

Comment

Originally posted by wanderlust06
      yes..but at least the rain is warm and you can enjoy it. here you duck for cover as it beats down on you and then quits only to leave you with a depressing overcast that has become cause for oregon to have the highest rate of sad in the us. if you don't like hawaii so much why do you live there? everyone i know says it's amazing...the people are amazing...the food is amazing...so if it rains then good...it'll help when i have that one second of homesickness.
      Yes, yes, it's all "amazing."

Did you know that, in certain age groups, the highest cause of death here is suicide?

Not to burst your bubble, but some research might be in order.

Comment

if you don't like hawaii so much why do you live there?
        You must be referring to me, since your reply included a quote from me. So I must ask you: exactly where did I say that I don't like living in Hawai`i? I never said that. Not in this thread or in any other here on HT or anywhere else.
        You've apparently confused me for someone else.

everyone i know says it's amazing.
        Are those people who live here, or tourists?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

they have indeed lived there and plan on returning. sorry if i offended you . as for the research...that defeats the purpose of my adventure...and as silly as it sounds i'm done planning my life for a while and just want to go as it comes.

Comment

Leaving this january for a study abroad in barcelona and then moving to hawaii for some much needed time away from the grind of every day life. any advice on moving, living, etc? and does anyone know about being an esl teacher over there? <3
            You say, "for some much needed time away from the grind of every day life". That gives the impression you are coming to Hawaii for just awhile, as a short adventure, and planning on returning to your "grind" later on. If that is the case, you will do just great here, you will fit in with the many, many who move here and then leave within a couple of years. Only, you will be ahead as that will have been your "plan" all along. Come, have fun while you're here.

Comment

they have indeed lived there and plan on returning. sorry if i offended you . as for the research...that defeats the purpose of my adventure...and as silly as it sounds i'm done planning my life for a while and just want to go as it comes.
              Funny, as we see co-workers go back to the mainland at an alarming rate at work, we often refer to their leaving as "the end of their Hawaii adventure."

Have fun. Store up some good memories....

Comment

I have actually met several people who have moved back to Oregon from Hawai'i.

Top 3 reasons...#1 Couldn't handle the pressure (one gal came home bawling because people were so angry with her for taking their jobs)
                #2 Finances
                #3 Not able to go anywhere ( I am assuming like drive to Montana)

And if I have met a few and I don't meet many people often, there must be thousands!
                Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                Sharing withother survivors...
                www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle
                  I have actually met several people who have moved back to Oregon from Hawai'i.

Top 3 reasons...#1 Couldn't handle the pressure (one gal came home bawling because people were so angry with her for taking their jobs)
                  #2 Finances
                  #3 Not able to go anywhere ( I am assuming like drive to Montana)

And if I have met a few and I don't meet many people often, there must be thousands!
                  I would think that the number two reason would be the number one reason.

I'm surprised about the "taking their jobs" thing. IME, local companies are far more likely to hire a local than a transplant, assuming both are equally qualified. Perhaps she was just exposed to a "sour grapes" attitude?

BTW, you can drive for days here. As long as you just keep turning left

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN
                    I would think that the number two reason would be the number one reason.

I'm surprised about the "taking their jobs" thing. IME, local companies are far more likely to hire a local than a transplant, assuming both are equally qualified. Perhaps she was just exposed to a "sour grapes" attitude?

Well, the sour grapes attitude very well could be. I mean really she worked at Discovery Zone for Kids. I didn't know her well just when we went to Hawai'i the last time she complained to me for a while about it.

The travel thing was from 3 older couples who missed being able to travel extensively.
                    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                    Sharing withother survivors...
                    www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Then, after that road trip, you can turn around and travel in the opposite direction and just keep turning right for days.

Comment

BTW, you can drive for days here. As long as you just keep turning left.
                        That's why so many NASCAR drivers come from Hawai`i.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle
                          The travel thing was from 3 older couples who missed being able to travel extensively.
                          That's my parents for ya. They love to just load up their van and drive for two weeks, seeing a bunch of different stuff. They hate planes. Hawai'i would be hell for them

I'm partial to planes myself, especially since I don't get any PTO at work. The voyage is nice in itself sometimes but planes are the only way I can visit faraway places practically these days.

Comment

Funny, as we see co-workers go back to the mainland at an alarming rate at work, we often refer to their leaving as "the end of their Hawaii adventure."

Have fun. Store up some good memories....
                            do i plan on staying forever? that i am not sure of...do i plan on staying until wanderlust takes me away again.. most likely....but maybe it's the home i've always been searching for. in any case i'll be well inclined to make the years spent there the best ones yet. oh man i can't wait!!!!!!

Comment

do i plan on staying forever? that i am not sure of...do i plan on staying until wanderlust takes me away again.. most likely....but maybe it's the home i've always been searching for. in any case i'll be well inclined to make the years spent there the best ones yet. oh man i can't wait!!!!!!
                              Interesting. Pardon my nosiness, but do you have any practical plans for living here, other than satisfying your wanderlust?

Any thoughts on where and how you're going to live?

I'm assuming you're not a trust fund baby?

Comment

i'm the farthest thing from a trust fund baby...just a girl looking for a new path after the one she has been on for sometime is beaten and worn out. as far as living...i have a small amount of job security through the cheesecake factory... although i would love it if they would open one in maui. but if honolulu is where i'm supposed to be then great in any case i'm not looking for a new life, simply a new branch to sit on for a while.

Comment

Working...
                                X