• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii bound

Originally posted by ErikaMarie
    Tis OK!

I've been an outsider my whole life!

Now... it's my large white (well, he's 1/3 black but you'd never know it) boyfriend who would really stick out! lol
    Wow... echo...

Thanx
    I'm guessing that means to sleep... I'm nocturnal... an effing hamster, I tell you.

I'm in the same time zone, but not in FL anymore.
    How does one obtain third parts of ancestry?
    “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
    http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle
      For some people that is no different than any other place. No matter where I wander I will always be an outsider marked with a scarlet letter. Some people just accept it and deal with it the best they can and make their own way.
      And others try too damn hard, make fools out of themselves, and are still marked as "outsiders."

Then again, being an "outsider" might just mean you choose not to go along with the crowd.

Not necessarily a bad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin
        I was curious about this as well...menage a trois, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN
          And others try too damn hard, make fools out of themselves
          And then there's those of us who are not trying so hard to fit in, we just get overly excited about learning new cultural things.

Hey, being a damned fool isn't too bad once in a while either if it's fun and you can take it in stride

Comment

Originally posted by Bard
            And then there's those of us who are not trying so hard to fit in, we just get overly excited about learning new cultural things.

Hey, being a damned fool isn't too bad once in a while either if it's fun and you can take it in stride
            Been there, done that. Probably doomed to do it many more times before I die, being a member of the human race and all.

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin

His grandpa is 100%. His grandma is 50%. This makes his father 75%. So, my boyf Chase is 37.5%. I'd say that's somewhat silly to go around saying "My boyfriend is 37.5% black" so I rounded to 1/3. It was closer than 1/2 & 1/4.

Been there, done that. Probably doomed to do it many more times before I die, being a member of the human race and all.
              werd
              Last edited by ErikaMarie; September 27, 2006, 05:27 PM.
              <3 EriKa
              ErikaMarie.us

Comment

werd
                Oh?

Comment

Oh?

Sorry...

I concur.
                  <3 EriKa
                  ErikaMarie.us

Comment

Erika...

I was thinking the same thing... I wish more leeway around some corners would be given on other subjects....

But a lot of us take a lot of things very literal around here...thanks for explaining your definition of a third.

Comment

His grandpa is 100%. His grandma is 50%. This makes his father 75%. So, my boyf Chase is 37.5%. I'd say that's somewhat silly to go around saying "My boyfriend is 37.5% black" so I rounded to 1/3. It was closer than 1/2 & 1/4.
                      When you're talking ancestry, it's always by halves, quarters, eighths, and sometimes sixteenths and thirty-secondths (is that a word?). So instead of using a percentage I'd have said 3/8 -- which makes it easy to recognize that three of his eight great-grandparents were black.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                        When you're talking ancestry, it's always by halves, quarters, eighths, and sometimes sixteenths and thirty-secondths (is that a word?). So instead of using a percentage I'd have said 3/8 -- which makes it easy to recognize that three of his eight great-grandparents were black.
                        Of course, those who subscribe to the "one drop" rule would say that he's black, not matter what his other ethnicities might be.
                        Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Thanks, Glen - you summed it up succinctly (and saved me from doing the math - so I hope it's accurate as well.)
                          Erika, you could just say "part black," if it really matters - but genetic science really doesn't allow for rounding to thirds. What's most important is what HE says, I guess. Like Manoa, the mix is only as relevant as he wants it to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                            Erika, you could just say "part black," if it really matters - but genetic science really doesn't allow for rounding to thirds.
                            Actually, genetic science does not allow for any distinctions between 'races' as the human race is a single species. All this talk of blood percentage is 100% b*llshit!

Comment

Originally posted by Mahi Waina
                              Actually, genetic science does not allow for any distinctions between 'races' as the human race is a single species. All this talk of blood percentage is 100% b*llshit!
                              Not so "100%" cut-and-dried, in the world of genetic science. Scientific American had an article on this back in December 2003:

Does Race Exist? ---
                              If races are defined as genetically discrete groups, no. But researchers can use some genetic information to group individuals into clusters with medical relevance. The outward signs on which most definitions of race are based--such as skin color and hair texture--are dictated by a handful of genes.

Comment

Hmmm... I wasn't aware there were guidelines.

& I didn't think it was that important.
                                <3 EriKa
                                ErikaMarie.us

Comment

Working...
                                X