Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Budgeting for my first year in Hawaii (Rent)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budgeting for my first year in Hawaii (Rent)

Aloha,

As I stated on the introductions thread, my family and I (wife and 2 daughters) are moving to the greater Honolulu area in November.

I have a job lined up and waiting for me when I arrive, thank god!

I have visited Hawaii several times and I know that the prices for rent/groceries/gas can be higher than some places on the mainland.

My first year, we have decided to rent a place. Because of the relatively high rents in O'ahu and the fact that I will be on a fixed income my first year, I want to find a decent place to live, but at the same time I don't want to get in over my head! My second year and beyond should be much easier financially.

My question is this, is it an unreasonable expectation to find a 2 bedroom place that isn't roach central, relatively close to the city (Ideal would be Pearl City/Aiea) for around $1,200-$1,300? Are there any fellow renters out there who have had any experiences to report on?

Any advice/anecdotes about renting in Hawaii would be MOST appreciated!

Mahalo!

Re: Budgeting for my first year in Hawaii (Rent)

Originally posted by The Grasshopper Unit
    My question is this, is it an unreasonable expectation to find a 2 bedroom place that isn't roach central, relatively close to the city (Ideal would be Pearl City/Aiea) for around $1,200-$1,300? Are there any fellow renters out there who have had any experiences to report on?
    Possible, but it probably won't be the nicest place. I'm paying $1200 a month for a one-BR in town myself--that that's MUCH LOWER than what other people are now paying for a 1BR in my bldg. Honolulu's Craig's List is the best gauge for current rental prices.

Comment

It's easy to control cockroaches.

Clean up after yourself.
      FutureNewsNetwork.com
      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
        It's easy to control cockroaches.

Clean up after yourself.
        But how do you clean up after your dirty ass neighbors? Cockroaches will wonder...

You might be hard pressed to find a 2 brm place for 1200.00.... but I'm sure there are some out there... (already rented for life)

Comment

A 400 sq. ft. unit in Makaha covered in this thread might be indictive of the difficulty in finding something bigger and closer to town. It's probably not impossible but if there's anyway you can adjust your budget upward you'll have an easier time with your search. Good luck to you.

Comment

Our friends (a couple) recently found a really nice, clean and modern unfurnished 1 bedroom in a posh building in Salt Lake (near Aiea) for $1300/month, which includes ALL utilities. Usually 2 bedroom units in the same building avg. about $500 more.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
            X