Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Only been to Oahu, looking at Big Island from Washington!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Only been to Oahu, looking at Big Island from Washington!

Yup, attending UH Hilo. First opinion is the school is alright. Again, a total change from WA. I'm use to the rigidity of the instructors there (I'm a transfer) and here, wow. That's about all I can say. One of my teachers openly admitted to us that he passed one girl cause she "drew pretty pictures" even though she didn't get the material. lol What I like most about it over here altogether is how relaxed everything really is. Nice change of pace from my brief stint in downtown Seattle.

I do have this snazzy flip-flop tan line on my feet, though.
    ~ Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
      Right on Plummy!!!
      Ditto! Be happy to send you some PNW cold if you want it, Plummy It actually hasn't gotten super cold yet but the days are already short, gray, and rainy. We just closed the blinds and turned on all the lights today about 4PM. ;_; Tell you what, I'll trade you some PNW cold for some Hawai`i sun

Comment

One thing that I found really amazing as I migrated from Washington to Hawaii...

was that there weren't Baseboard heaters! Or for that matter furnaces or many fireplaces. Not like I need them now...

I do miss fire! for some reason... I guess I'm a pyro in my own sense... because there is nothing better than a good bon fire... and there aren't many legal places on Oahu to do that!

Washington... we lived by the bon fire!

Comment

We've got a wood stove in our house, and we've burned a couple of good fires already this year. The firewood's a little expensive to heat the house with unless you buy a mass amount of it in the spring and season it yourself, but it's fun to do once in a while.

Comment

Just piggybacking on this thread...

I'm in a similar sort of situation and could really use some advice!
            I've lived on Oahu for a few months--unlike HOOKROUNDMYNECK I really enjoyed my time working (and working!), staying, and playing there .

But I have a tentative job offer to work in Kohala....I've been having difficulty really finding a lot of information about living on the Big Island other than the lack of roads and running water in some places and what happened after the earthquake. There are a lot of opinons on HT about moving to Oahu but what about to the Big Island?

Help anyone? Thanks in advance....

Comment

Originally posted by HOOKROUNDMYNECK View Post
              Does anybody know where the cheapest place to live is? How much is living? How much is rent? ETC???
              Puna area on the Big Island. But thanks to the huge
              development there, mostly by speculators (sorry John...I know you're one of the good guys), the rents
              have gone way up in the past year or two, but they're coming down a bit.

Still, you could find a ohana (guest house) or one bedroom pretty cheap.Look in the Hawaii Tribune Herald for Hilo and Puna sides.West Hawaii Today for Kona side (not cheap). Oh, and there's Ocean View Estates where people live in everything from caves and motor homes to luxury homes lol. There's a South Point Website that covers this area.

Check at www.punaweb.org forum for moving and lifestyle information and the newspapers (the two I mentioned are onine) for more info.

I'm moving with NO savings. But I work online, and I'm moving into a fully furnished rental with no deposit required (former landlady). All my money's going to moving our three cats with us lol.

You and your girlfriend will do fine since you're used to living simple - as long as you get work asap.

Aloha,

Cindy
              Hawaii Eco Travel Budget Guides
              www.CoconutRoads.com
              "Taking you to the Heart of Hawaii"

Comment

Working...
              X