Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying an Oahu Condo for visits and rental?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Buying an Oahu Condo for visits and rental?

Originally posted by MadAzza View Post
    With this post and your other fake query about buying helicopters and airplanes, which no intelligent person would ask about on an Internet discussion board, I have the sneaking feeling that you're completely full of crap.

But you are hooking a few, so please ... carry on.
    Shhh....I am waiting for him to ask about buying a bridge to Maui.

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
      Shhh....I am waiting for him to ask about buying a bridge to Maui.
      Buying one? He probably has the know-how *and* the money to BUILD one!

Not bad, for a 14-year-old on his mommy's Dell.

Comment

I am thinking that he or she is a notorious member of the AOL message board bunch who has found a barely willing audience here.

She (he?) has probably been blocked by most of the AOL crowd and is desperately searching for an outlet for her "creativity."

I suggest that she go back to school and acquire a trade. Make her parents proud, for once.
        Last edited by WindwardOahuRN; October 18, 2006, 01:05 AM.

Comment

A little over the top no? What do you want to know? I am 37, I have a family, just because I have money and I openly post about purchasing a condo for rental, or about if I purchased a boat or plane is it feasible to island hop or make it to the mainland, that might make me clueless about Hawaii, but then that is what this board is for, helping clueless people like me. Forgive me, if I seem strange, I have been living abroad in Asia speaking Chinese everyday in Taiwan for the past 10 years and before that in Hong Kong and Thailand and China. I haven't lived back home in the USA for a long time. In Asia it is a matter of fact that some people have money and can purchase a yacht or a second home. Is that strange in Hawaii? Should I not post queries like this in this forum? No need to be abrasive.
          Last edited by Hobart; October 18, 2006, 02:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobart View Post
            I haven't lived back home in the USA for a long time. In Asia it is a matter of fact that some people have money and can purchase a yacht or a second home. Is that strange in Hawaii? Should I not post questions like this in this forum?
            You're so FULL of KAKAS!

I going back moemoe.

Auntie Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Thanks for your post Queenolu. I am most concerned with picking the right condo that tourists and/or locals alike will want to rent on a weekly basis. I checked some real estate websites and looks like some buildings around the island on the ocean can be found for that price, I just want to be sure that some tourists or someone else will stay there if it is nice etc., or when tourists come to Oahu they either rent a villa on the beach or stay in a hotel. None go for oceanfront 2 BR condos.
              Who said that people don't rent 2 bd oceanfront condos ?
              Last edited by tikiyaki; October 18, 2006, 04:40 AM.
              http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
              Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
              Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

but then that is what this board is for, helping clueless people like me
                Actually I think that's where this went wrong... you might try hawaii.com's forums for that kind of question.

(And I don't even mean that sarcastically )

Comment

A little over the top no? What do you want to know? I am 37, I have a family, just because I have money and I openly post about purchasing a condo for rental, or about if I purchased a boat or plane is it feasible to island hop or make it to the mainland, that might make me clueless about Hawaii, but then that is what this board is for, helping clueless people like me. Forgive me, if I seem strange, I have been living abroad in Asia speaking Chinese everyday in Taiwan for the past 10 years and before that in Hong Kong and Thailand and China. I haven't lived back home in the USA for a long time. In Asia it is a matter of fact that some people have money and can purchase a yacht or a second home. Is that strange in Hawaii? Should I not post queries like this in this forum? No need to be abrasive.
                  In Hawai'i, we have plenty of clueless "nouveau riche" that purchase yachts, planes, and condos on a fairly regular basis; however, you probably won't find many of them posting here.

Here's a link that provides tips on purchasing a yacht....
                  http://www.hsyacht.com/howtobuy.shtml

Here's a link to a good local yacht brokerage (I recommend having them locate a Fairlane Squadron 74)....
                  http://www.hawaiiyachts.com/

Here's a link that provides some tips on purchasing a small airplane....
                  http://www.ebuyingguides.com/how/uplaneb_h.htm

Here's a link to a good small airplane dealer if you're into flying Cessna's (I recommend the Skylane T182T if you're a beginning to intermediate pilot)...
                  http://www.amghawaii.com/

For other aircraft, you might consider joining ADN....
                  http://www.aircraftdealers.net/

If you're interested in purchasing a condo on O'ahu to rent out, you might consider starting at this link...
                  http://www.oahucondoguide.com/

After purchasing some of these assets, I highly recommend placing them in a trust.

Cheers,

Jonah K
                  Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Jonah, thanks for the links! Not in the market for a plane or yacht right now, just planning for later and doing some research. The Oahu Condo Guide looks quite helpful.

WindwardOahu: Thanks also for your helpful information. That makes it a little easier if there are other options besides vacation permits and condotels. Cheers.

Comment

Jonah, thanks for the links! Not in the market for a plane or yacht right now, just planning for later and doing some research. The Oahu Condo Guide looks quite helpful.

WindwardOahu: Thanks also for your helpful information. That makes it a little easier if there are other options besides vacation permits and condotels. Cheers.
                      Hobart, for the sake of amusement and for conversation, what industry were you in that allowed you the luxury of having such discretionary wealth? I for one am very curious about folks that have the moxy to start their own firms and make their mark in the world.

I must admit, I am a little skeptical of your story since it would be highly unlikely that someone so accomplished financially would have need of a message board for this kind of advice.

That being said, I do know a boat broker here locally who also is a very accomplished real estate investor/broker. If you're on the level, I'd happily refer you to him.

Comment

Before you invest in a yacht in Hawaii, you should spend a lot of time educating yourself on the types of boats that are best for the unique conditions on Oahu. Try chartering a few local yachts, many of which are listed on http://www.yachtchartershawaii.com Hawaii yacht charters are different than other places in the world because of sailing conditions and you should definitely make sure you are prepared before you invest in your own.

Comment

Thanks for your post Queenolu. I am most concerned with picking the right condo that tourists and/or locals alike will want to rent on a weekly basis. I checked some real estate websites and looks like some buildings around the island on the ocean can be found for that price, I just want to be sure that some tourists or someone else will stay there if it is nice etc., or when tourists come to Oahu they either rent a villa on the beach or stay in a hotel. None go for oceanfront 2 BR condos.

Why incurr DEBT that you do not need? Why add the burden or worrying about "renters" when you dont really NEED the place now? Who knows WHERE you will be in 3-5 years! Who knows WHAT state the USA will be in those years? Look at 911, less than 5 years ago, and the USA now in iraq! One person has already stated that a terrorist attack on oahu would CRIPPLE the island, as it only has a 2 week supply of food! Imagine what would happen if the island was "cut off" for some reason... I think people dont realize that HAWAII is the most GEOGRAPHICALLY isolated place on the planet! 2500 miles(by many estimates) away from the mainland...

Sorry, but I try to live SIMPLE, with as few worries as possible...are you sure this is a "good idea?" or is it something a family member (realtor!) is trying to talk you into?
                          http://twitter.com/surfoahu

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                            Well, look at it this way: now you can go back to buying that airplane and yacht and helicopter that you talked about at this link.
                            Oh brother! Thanks for that link....
                            http://twitter.com/surfoahu

Comment

Originally posted by islandguy View Post
                              Why incurr DEBT that you do not need? Why add the burden or worrying about "renters" when you dont really NEED the place now?[...]
                              For some people, like my daughter, there's one word for it...Investment. A condo in Hawaii (where she was raised and hopes to return) is part of her diversified investment portfolio. People buy real estate for investment reasons only all the time. All the worries you cited hold true for just about everything in life. Even stashing extra cash in a savings account or under the mattress isn't safe if there is a terrorist attack. Look what 9/11 did to the stock market. However, it rebounded. And, so did real estate!

Choosing a simple life with as few worries as possible is admirable and right for you. Others want more out of life. And, that's right for them. At my age I prefer your lifestyle. When I was my daughter's age I preferred her lifestyle. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks...or the same folks at diff'rent stages in life!

The OP of this thread, OTOH, appears to...well...never mind! You saw the link!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                                The OP of this thread, OTOH, appears to...well...never mind! You saw the link!
                                Yes, that Original Poster joined HT, trolled a few messages, then vanished in the beginning of November. Big surprise.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X