Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• travelling in-cabin with pets

Aloha again!

Can anyone who has moved with a pet to the Outer Islands, from the mainland/East Coast, tell me if they were able to make the trip all the way through flying with their pet in-cabin, and if so what airlines they flew on?

Were you able to pass through the quarantine station with the pet in an in-cabin carrier? (i.e. a Sherpa carrier, which fits under the seat).

Mahalo mahalo, kauaian24

Re: travelling in-cabin with pets

I'm not really familiar with other airlines' policies except United, and it can be found here:

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,51255,00.html

As long as your pet meets the age requirements and the pet carrier meets the standards set forth by the airline, you can bring the pet in the cabin with you leaving Hawaii. Pets aren't allowed in-cabin on flights TO Hawaii unless they're guide dogs. Also, there's a max # of pets allowed in-cabin, so if the #'s already exceeded, then it won't be able to fly in cabin with you.

United also has a fee that you have to pay each way for your pet.

I'd imagine most carriers have their pet baggage policy listed on their websites. I'd call ahead prior to making travel arrangements, though.
    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
    We're not here to mess around
    Boston, you know we love you madly
    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
    You know we couldn't live without you
    Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

I don't know much about this as I've never travelled with pets. However, on my way home from Hilo, when boarding on Aloha Airlines, the boarding Agent would not let this girl with her cat in catainer on board. He told her she had to check the cat in.

Comment

From Oahu, I've flown to the mainlaind with pets onboard. I've also flown from the mainland to Oahu with pets onboard. I've not tried going to a neighbor island with pets onboard.

Airlines have ever changing policies regarding pets. You'll need to call each airline and find out what their current policy is. What was OK yesterday might be different today, or now something might be OK that was "no" before.

Check out http://www.hawaiiag.org/hdoa/ai_aqs_info.htm
        Is my pet allowed to fly with me in the passenger cabin of the airplane?
        The Department of Agriculture does not have any regulation regarding where pets fly within the aircraft. It is totally up to each airline's policy. The airline is required by law to bring all incoming animals directly from the plane to the Airport Animal Quarantine Holding Facility.
        Animals still under quarantine which are transiting from the Airport Animal Quarantine Holding Facility to an approved outer island satellite quarantine facility or approved veterinary hospital are not permitted to fly in-cabin. If medical issues require this, special arrangements will need to be made with the Airport Animal Quarantine Holding Facility to arrange for an inspector to accompany the animal in this instance.

I prefer having my pets onboard with me. Once, when shipping a pet to an outer island by cargo, it was "lost" by the airline, and it took about 6 hours for the airline to locate where they'd put the carrier and animal.

Good luck!

Comment

Aloha Lei Liko, Hula Honey and South Kona,

Big mahalo for the information. This is really helpful.

kauaian24

Comment

Working...
          X