Military bases?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Military bases?

Nope, no emails from you........just do whatever you can, thats all you can do right. I would fail miserably if i attempted to lead you there based on memories over 20 years old, lol. Maybe a guard at the gate could tell you which way to Menoher which Ekaha is off of.
    If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

Hi memorylane,

If Lyman is what I consider the "front" gate, if that is the gate where when you drive in, the gas station is on the right, then the map makes it pretty clear which way to go, EXCEPT they have actually made a couple of streets look like they wind differently, but again, you bet we will find it.

I have even had dreams of going back to the house where I was in elementary school, so I really can imagine how jazzed you are about your memories, and I offered to snap a few pics because of this, so wish me luck this weekend. I can be Edith Bunker when it comes to navigating, but that base isn't very big. I think daughter and I will probably have a couple of laughs as we drive around, and then I Hope there's still a fourplex there, either way, we're gonna snap SOMEthing.

I think I will send you another email right now, just to test. I will post this weekend to you, to let you know how it went, or email. I know we're going to Haleiwa Sat. night, but other than that, looks like a domestic weekend around the homefront.
      Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Well, shot if i can pay you back by getting pics of your childhood home, just ask!!! I like taking roadtrips anyway, lol.
        Did you say how you come to be living in Hawaii and able to go on base at free will? I forget if so.

Comment

Well, shot if i can pay you back by getting pics of your childhood home, just ask!!! I like taking roadtrips anyway, lol. Did you say how you come to be living in Hawaii and able to go on base at free will? I forget if so.
          Hey gal!

Yes, hubby is retired military and is a govt. contractor here on island, and he works on another local base, not Schofield, but we live Central Oahu, and so Schofield is my base for shopping and doing any business.

LOL well my childhood home is in austin, and actually I have relatives all over South Texas. I just haven't asked anyone to drive to the addy and snap pics. I dunno why I haven't, hmmm.

We HOPE to actually run to Schofield tomorrow, Tuesday, around noon with the digital. I am almost out of dogfood for our Aussie, and the price difference on and off base makes it worth the few minutes to run there, and today I got a lot of housework and laundry done, floors mopped, house clean, always orderly but its dusted, ya know, just looks ready for company, bathrooms and all...so tomorrow can be a goof off day. I will email you if we get some pics.

Hope all is well for you~

Comment

Hey Memorylane!

WE DID IT! LOL yee haw...drove around base for several minutes, and man I thought I had seen that whole base, well, I have now! LOL...it's bigger than I had guessed even after eleven years. Ekaha Circle is just one circle, but they do not number the addies as they did when you lived there. Nope, they have addies like "101" and short numbers, so we didn't have a clue as to which fourplex you used to live in, and there were cars home at all of them, though that isn't a large circle, so we went back to the start of the circle, where it meets Menoher, and turned around, snapped a pic or two. Then daughter snapped a pic of where Menoher meets Carpenter St. cuz that looks like it is where you used to leave your neighborhood when riding your bike, then snapped pics of the old exchange, new commissary and OLD commissary building which is now furniture store, and package store.

We will soon download the pics into puter, and attach to an email, and send. Oh gal, there is street after street of OLD housing near where you lived, and surely it looked much nicer twenty years ago. It is depressing, needing mowing, caring and just really run down looking. Not far from there the new housing starts and for example, the Foote Ave. gate, what I call a front gate,. as you drive into base from that, with the gas station to your left, WOW have they built the area up, with even high rise barracks, all brand new brick and very attractive. I drove along there thinking how you will not recognize about half the base or more, there are so many new buildings.

WELL...gotta get the digital out of the car, and let teen do the technical stuff for me. You'll have email soon. Hope you enjoy.

Comment

Hi Memorylane,

it is late here, am about to crash, and want you to know that the pics are sent to your hotmail account. (seven pics)

I hope they bring back some memories and if they don't, well that is how very much the place has changed,

God bless, and hope the pics do, too..

Karen

Comment

Originally posted by Karen
                We will soon download the pics into puter, and attach to an email, and send.
                Karen, it's so cool that you did this!

I know a lot of folks, military and otherwise, now living away from the islands are curious about what their old stomping grounds look like today. Setting such a fun example, I'll definitely want to see if I can do some "on assignment" photowork if another similar request or question comes in.

Comment

Thanks for saying so, and it does seem like it's the least we can do for anothe person. Our childhood memories are a huge deal.

Let me give you a laugh....I am so glad my teen went along to help, or I would've been like Edith Bunker running around on base, with a digital. LOL..she helped me not get turned around on oh so many little residential streets that I didn't recognize, and she made sure I used the digital properly. (G) I know, I have to stop relying on my daughters for technical stuff, and learn to use it all properly myself, but anyway, I was also glad that with all of our tighter security concerns, I didn't have to explain to anyone why I was snapping pics all over base, while it surely was the right thing to do.

Dang, can I talk a lot, or what? I'll rest your eyes now, and stifle.

Originally posted by pzarquon
                  Karen, it's so cool that you did this!

I know a lot of folks, military and otherwise, now living away from the islands are curious about what their old stomping grounds look like today. Setting such a fun example, I'll definitely want to see if I can do some "on assignment" photowork if another similar request or question comes in.

Comment

Everyone!!!! KAREN ROCKS!!!!
                    Yes, Karen, those old run down places are still leftover. There was some old stuff when we moved there that was yucky then. There were alot of snotty high falooty types that wouldnt even live in housing, even the nice stuff because they felt it was beneath them, lol.
                    Another thing I would love to see is this hotel i guess it was that we stayed in when we first got there until our housing was actually ready. I'll have to ask my mom about that as far as its name. We knew before coming that we had a 4 bed, 3 bath waiting tho and went crazy with excitement.
                    I still have the scar on my knee from coming off the bleachers at the pool and gashing it open. That pool was humongous!!! I wonder if its still the same.
                    Wow, I am so weird right now, lol........this strange funk, having seen what you showed in the pix and dying to see more anyway........aaaaaaaaghhhhhh!!!

Comment

Plus if i could find these darn awesome shoes that I had within the last year of living there!!! They were like Dr. Scholls only the part you walk on was a chunk of wood and thicker and the outer part of them were painted with amazing tropical type scenes. I cant even imagine what I would have done with the ones I owned after we moved away and obviously my foot would be bigger but seeing how I still have seashells I collected on the shores of Haleiwa....... Since the 8o's are coming back into fashion , I am hoping maybe they were a product of that and might show up somewhere.

Comment

Hey memorylane!

Was the inn or hotel you stayed in, upon arriving on island, on base? There is an inn that isn't even eight or so yrs. old, it is quite modern, like an eight days inn or something. I didn't pass it the other day, but if I can recall, it isn't far from the swimming pool.

I haven't seen the pool since I hear they remodeled it, and made it huge. Our daughter's scout troop used it for their swimming badge a few years ago, and not long ago, but she went to the most recent outing, and I didn't attend. She said it really is bigger, and professional like, but I can't describe it since I didn't see it myself.

Wow, did I understand you that you have housing that was four bedroom, three bath? or was that the hotel/inn you were describing?

I am so glad the pics tripped your trigger and are fun to see. Glad some of them do see familiar.

I can't help you with the shoes. There seem to be a zillion types and styles here, now, and I wear the slipons only in my house. I wear SAS shoes when I go anywhere. Maybe someone will read your post and have a suggestion about the shoes of your childhood.

Oh, you mentioned people that thought they were too good to live in base housing. Oh man, stuckup people, the arrogance just turns me off badly! Their bathrooms stinks as badly as anyone's, if you know what I mean, LOL. ( was tempted to say that a lot worse, but kept myself in check) Base housing gives you free electricity and water, even though you actually pay for housing by losing your housing allowances for off base.

Comment

Originally posted by Karen
                          Was the inn or hotel you stayed in, upon arriving on island, on base? There is an inn that isn't even eight or so yrs. old, it is quite modern, like an eight days inn or something. I didn't pass it the other day, but if I can recall, it isn't far from the swimming pool.
                          I'LL HAVE TO SEE IF MY MOM KNOWS THAT ANSWER. IT WAS HOTEL LIKE TO US, WHITE AND OOOOLLLD BUT IN A BEAUTIFUL WAY.
                          I haven't seen the pool since I hear they remodeled it, and made it huge. Our daughter's scout troop used it for their swimming badge a few years ago, and not long ago, but she went to the most recent outing, and I didn't attend. She said it really is bigger, and professional like, but I can't describe it since I didn't see it myself.
                          THE POOL ALREADY WAS HUUUGE, LOL......EVEN TO A 12YR. OLD, 16 FEET DEEP WAS SCAAARRRYYY!!!!!
                          Wow, did I understand you that you have housing that was four bedroom, three bath? or was that the hotel/inn you were describing?
                          THAT WAS 1867B, FOR JUST OUR FAMILY!!!
                          Oh, you mentioned people that thought they were too good to live in base housing. Oh man, stuckup people, the arrogance just turns me off badly! Their bathrooms stinks as badly as anyone's, if you know what I mean, LOL. ( was tempted to say that a lot worse, but kept myself in check) Base housing gives you free electricity and water, even though you actually pay for housing by losing your housing allowances for off base.
                          THEY WERE CONSTANTLY GRIPING ABOUT THAT AND BEING STUCK ON *THIS ROCK*, THEY COULDNT JUST DRIVE OFF TO SEE MOM AND DAD OR WHATEVER. I MADE A KILLIN BABYSITTING THERE DUE TO THE MILITARY BEING W/O THERE FAMILY TO FILL IN.

P.S LOOK UP AFTER EACH THING YOU SAID, BECAUSE THIS DIDNT ENTIRELY POST RIGHT AND IT LOOKS LIKE I DIDNT BOTHER TO COMMENT ON ALL YOU ASKED OR WROTE
                          Last edited by admin; September 24, 2004, 06:28 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tags for memorylane!

Comment

It was simply called Guest House........on base........we stayed there until our housing info was finalized, not quite a week maybe. Ate lots of cereal and milk, mom would buy Kix and my brother and i thought it was so nasty!!!

Comment

Aloha howdy, gal!

LOL on the KIX, oh junk cereal leaves one wanting, still so hungry for real nourishment. Thankfully, there are good cereals on the market now.

I understood your previous post, and that you replied fully, thanks. I am guessing that they tore down the old temp. housing, but not sure, unless it was behind Burger King, wait, you may not have seen where that is, sigh. Anyway, the new inn is very nice and modern. I bet people really appreciate it.

Comment

LOL, there were definately no fast food joints on base!! I remember riding my trusty ten speed to Wahiawa (to McDonalds) and going thru the drive thru lane on it!!!!
                                Their reaction was too funny!!

Comment

Working...
                                X