Which island to visit. 30th anniversary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which island to visit. 30th anniversary

I know you vetrans of this forum have heard this a bunch of times, but I am new to this forum and need to ask the question.
    My wife and I are planning on spending our 30th anniversary some where in Hawaii. I just don't know which island would be the best bet.
    1. I don't golf.
    2. I like it slow and peacefull
    3. We like the beach but with a mixed terrain.
    4. We like to hike and have the option of different things to do.
    5. I would like the option of day tripping to another island.

I was thinking about Kauai, but I have never been there.
    Please feel free to give me your thoughts and suggestions.
    Thank you

Re: Which island to visit. 30th anniversary

The first island that popped in my head for your query was Maui.

I'm not too sure about the types of interisland travel available or what you had in mind. How easy is it to get from Maui to Molokai and Lanai? Are there other options available besides going by air?

Comment

We just spent 5 days in Kihei and 3 days in Poipu for our 30th anniversary, and both were relaxing and enjoyable places. I would also recommend the Big Island, but don't stay in Kona; look for a cottage near Volcano or get a room in Hilo and drive around the island.

Comment

I am all ear's to hear your thoughts on those two islands, I,E, where to stay, what to do etc.
        Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
          The first island that popped in my head for your query was Maui.

I'm not too sure about the types of interisland travel available or what you had in mind. How easy is it to get from Maui to Molokai and Lanai? Are there other options available besides going by air?
          Agreed on Maui... But I too have not been to kauai. Congrats btw!
          -kp!

Comment

Originally posted by Kungpao View Post
            Agreed on Maui... But I too have not been to kauai. Congrats btw!
            Kauai is more laid back than Maui is. It's slightly less congested with cars. Maui has lots of beaches but getting there and back can be a trying experience with all the traffic, unless you stay at one of the resorts in Wailea or Kaanapali or Kapalua so you never have to venture off the grounds of the resort. Alternatively, you could just spend your time in Hana. That part of the island is more isolated and there's lots of natural beauty---the kind of scenery you expect when you visit Hawai'i---but no nightlife.

If you stay in the Lahaina/Kaanapali area, you can take a ferry to Molokai or Lanai (about a 45 minute trip) and day trip over there. You could also fly over from Kapalua (pretty pricey flight, though). Not much to do on Lanai (no nightlife except for what exists at the 2 upscale hotels on the island). Moloka'i is a little better for things to see and do. We spent 2 days on that island in order to see both ends of it. Lots of cultural sights on Moloka'i (one legend says that Moloka'i is where hula started).

Maui is condomania, so if you don't want to stay in one of the resort hotels, there are lots of condos available for rent.

Or if you want to really do up your anniversary right, what about taking a 7-day cruise around the islands? NCL is the line that has almost daily cruises between all the main islands. The advantage is you don't have to worry about land accommodations or most of your food. The stop over on Maui is I think 2 days, which is enough time to rent a car and go do some sightseeing.

Miulang

P.S. the advantage of the cruise is you get to sample all of the main islands, so you can decide where you want to spend more time for your 31st anniversary!
            Last edited by Miulang; December 4, 2006, 06:48 AM.
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I have heard the food on the Cruise is just FANTASTIC !! So if culinary delights are your cup of tea, you can't miss.

Nice thing about a cruise is you can pick all your activities right on board the boat, then somebody picks you up at the pier to take you to the activity.

I have never heard anybody complain about a Hawaiian Cruise in 15 years.
              FutureNewsNetwork.com
              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Thank you all for your suggestions/advice.
                I have never taken a cruise, simply because I hate to be held to a schedule. I like to keep an open mind in the matter though. It does sound like a nice option. Wher does the ship depart from?
                Hawaii is a good bit of a distance from N.C., and that is why the Carib. has always been my favorite place to go.
                I will continue to do research on the subject and ya all feel free to give me your thoughts and opinions.
                Thanks again.

Comment

HILO!! my two cents

Comment

You are going to get many answers, and the answer for you depends on more of your preferences than you've posted here. Have you checked the postings in Hawaii travel forums like at tripadvisor.com? There many many have posted the same question and you can read many answers.

Kauai comes to mind for amazing hiking and solitude, vistas that take your breath away, wonderful kayaking down calm river waters, quiet moonlit dinners.....Maui has a bit of everything from great beaches and whale-watching in season to hiking and great food and is close to day-trips off island, but you'll usually find it more crowded unless you get adventurous or unusual in your locale there or maybe try Hana....the Big Island has amazing terrain, feels so vast and has so many different personalities, but you may be driving quite a bit more if you want to see it....

more information may help us give you more feedback...

Comment

ps -- Kauai seems to be a natural fit to most of your 5 requests except maybe the daytripping -- Poipu is the South side of Kaui (drier), and Princeville or Hanalei is the North side with the fabeled "Bali Hai" vista. That definately fits your request for beach plus terrain. The Kalalau trail (NaPali coastline) begins there. If you are still thinking of Kauai, there is a reason they call it the "Garden Isle." It is stunningly beautiful. It can obviously be more rainy there on the North shore, though I've had beautiful weather during my stays there. Check averages for your travel month.

Remember Kauai is small, unless you want to do lots of hiking and lazing. Is your trip long enough to do maybe 3-4 days on Kaui and 5-7 days on another island? Otherwise, maybe you'd prefer another isle....

Comment

Happy 30th. And Congratulations.................
                        ALL THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS ARE UNIQUE IN EVERY SENSE..........
                        Why not experience it all taking an NCL criuse. It would make your 30th a very lovely experience on every Island.
                        Every Island has a very different experience that leaves you in wonder........
                        This is the Island`s you can get all that you can be.
                        Well Come to Hawaii
                        No fo get go home
                        OGGBOY
                        bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Working...
                        X