Aloha - moving to the Islands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha - moving to the Islands

I'm a new member here so let me start by saying aloha and hope all is well with all.

I've been looking in to buying a condo at Makaha Surfside and was wondering if anyone could give me some info - If you live there, been there, know anyone living there? How about the area, the ability to get to the North Shore from there? Anything and all things I might need / want to know. So you know I have yet to visit your island paradise - (plan to soon before I buy) so right now I would say I'm in the "gathering info phase" I'm also looking into the Ko Olina marina but for some reason over the last few months I keep going back to the Surfside - -Mahalo in advance and talk too you soon

Re: Aloha - moving to the Islands

There is a member of HT who lives in Makaha & I'm sure you'll hear from her soon. May I ask - are you looking at a map of the island & thinking Makaha is the closest town to surf spots? because the map may not show you that there is no road around that part of the island. If you live in Makaha, you need to drive all the way back around the leeward side & then take a drive across the center of the island to get to the north shore. or else, have some good hiking boots. If you're already aware of that, then excuse me for butting into your search - I'll let others who live out there give you info.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I'm the member who lives in Makaha...Makaha Surfside, to be exact! I love it but I would not recommend buying anything without first visiting Hawaii. There are several discussions on Hawaii Threads that involve this area and this condo building. Do a 'search' here on the 2 words, Makaha Surfside. Once you read all the info then fire away with any questions that haven't already been answered to your satisfaction.

(Fran? Welcome back!!!)

Comment

(shhhh, don't tell anyone)
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I'm guessing price is a big factor at work here. That, and ocean proximity.
          Cheapest Oceanfront property in Hawaii, no doubt.
          http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
          Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
          Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
            I'm guessing price is a big factor at work here.[...]
            That's what I was thinking, too, 'til MtM mentioned Ko`olina!

Comment

Aloha and thanks for the answers. And of course it’s a price and ocean proximity in choosing Makaha. I would like to live with no mortgage, I’m 33 and single so the size of the unit doesn’t bother me. I was looking at the KO marina for a live aboard situation but that’ll run me about 1000 per month and probably not worth it to me. I am curious as too why the responses would be about money? Is it that bad there? Tutu, I did as you said and have read all the threads about the area and do have more questions.

I’ve been reading all I can for the last 6 months about the Leeward coast. What I like are the beach, seems a more laid back rural area away from all the tourists, which appeals to me. I also read (amazingly) from people who say they have lived on the Island their whole life and are afraid to go to the Leeward coast. I actually don’t believe most of that. I’m definitely a respectful, friendly, and easy to get along with type. I live in Boston now so I’m used to gangs, drive-bys, more people, and crime so I can’t imagine it could be worse and definitely better weather and way of living. So my questions are:

Is it possible to get around the Island by scooter (safety aside) in a day? Do I have to go through Honolulu to get the North Shore? Are there any bars restaurant/lounges close to Makaha? How about part-time work in the area for a hoale? I don’t need to make a lot of money per month. I’m a musician so are there any places to play in the area?
              And Tutu about the complex:
              I’ve seen the condo fee listed including Water and Sewer and the cable and some without the cable. Which is true. And what does the fee include? Any special assessments now or in the future? Is there a good budget and reserves? The ads all say private beach and swim lagoon. You posted that wasn’t true. Could you explain? How about the pools, exercise equipment and sauna. Are they in good shape? You also said the C bldg was less desirable unfortunately that is what's mostly for sale without spending 300 grand. Is it that bad? How about renters and vacation renters. Do they respect the Bldg? And how is the sand bag work going? Has the tent city made it down to the Surfside?
              I know lots of questions. All responses are greatly appreciated. Talk to you soon. Thanks

Comment

Isn't Makaha pretty local? I have a friend from there and I remember it as being populated primarily by long-time locals, same with the N. Shore.
                "Hey fool, we gots yo leada!"
                "But I can't even read good."
                "Whatever that means, you ____ peasant."
                "That (stuff) is the MOST BALLER THING EVAAA!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Moving to Makaha View Post
                  Aloha and thanks for the answers. And of course it’s a price and ocean proximity in choosing Makaha. I would like to live with no mortgage, I’m 33 and single so the size of the unit doesn’t bother me. I was looking at the KO marina for a live aboard situation but that’ll run me about 1000 per month and probably not worth it to me. I am curious as too why the responses would be about money? Is it that bad there?
                  It's an economically deprived area and it looks it.
                  Tutu, I did as you said and have read all the threads about the area and do have more questions.

I’ve been reading all I can for the last 6 months about the Leeward coast. What I like are the beach, seems a more laid back rural area away from all the tourists, which appeals to me.
                  This is exactly why I live on the Waianae Coast.
                  I also read (amazingly) from people who say they have lived on the Island their whole life and are afraid to go to the Leeward coast. I actually don’t believe most of that.
                  It's true! I was one of them for many years. Then I bought an investment property at Makaha Surfside...sight unseen, mind you...with the idea of flipping it within a year. I spent one night in it when I was getting it ready to rent out and...that was it! I stayed up all night listening to the ocean. I fell madly in love with the location and the area.
                  I’m definitely a respectful, friendly, and easy to get along with type. I live in Boston now so I’m used to gangs, drive-bys, more people, and crime so I can’t imagine it could be worse and definitely better weather and way of living.
                  The Waianae Coast is, as mentioned above, an economically deprived area. On the mainland a similar area would be considered the "wrong side of the tracks". Unfortunately (as I see it), mainlanders have discovered the relatively inexpensive real estate prices and those prices have escalated because of it. The "discovery" of the Waianae Coast is one of the reasons for the high rate of homelessness.
                  So my questions are:

Is it possible to get around the Island by scooter (safety aside) in a day?
                  Yes, if that's your cup 'o tea!
                  Do I have to go through Honolulu to get the North Shore?
                  No. But you do have to backtrack somewhat. You can get off the H1 at Waipahu(?) and turn left at the signal. That puts you on Kunia Rd (a 2 lane road) and it ends in Wahiawa...which, with a coupla more turns, will take you to the North Shore. OR...you can backtrack even further on the H1 to the H2. H2 ends not too far from the end of Kunia Rd.
                  Are there any bars restaurant/lounges close to Makaha?
                  Yes. We're about 15 or so minutes from Ko`olina and 20 or so minutes from Kapolei. The sidewalks in Waianae/Makaha roll up really early; not much night life at all. The Makaha Resort has a lounge and restaurant but I'm not familiar with either. Oh wait...I had dinner in the restaurant a few years ago and thought it overly expensive. There's Beaches Restaurant in Maili directly across the street from the beach. Great sunsets most of the year! Definitely a local hang-out, casual, bar, pool table.
                  How about part-time work in the area for a hoale? I don’t need to make a lot of money per month. I’m a musician so are there any places to play in the area?
                  Jobs are very difficult to come by in that area and would be mostly in retail and food service. Last I heard, Beaches went karaoke. In all it's various incarnations they always had 2-3 nights/week devoted to Hawaiian music. I loved that. You could check with the Makaha Resort.
                  And Tutu about the complex:
                  I’ve seen the condo fee listed including Water and Sewer and the cable and some without the cable. Which is true.
                  Basic cable is included in the maintenance fee. AFAIK, all units are wired for it. Don't know why anyone would remove it.
                  And what does the fee include?
                  It includes everything you listed above and 24/7 security, grounds maintenance...the usual condo inclusions.
                  Any special assessments now or in the future?
                  None now and, so far, I've not heard anything about one in the future. The monthly maint. fee has risen steadily during the time I've owned. So far, there has not been an assessment. However, the building is extremely vulnerable to hurricane and extreme surf damage.
                  Is there a good budget and reserves?
                  Keeping the reserves at where they should be is the reason the maint. fee continues to rise. During the past 3 years or so, the complex has been painted and all the spallings repaired.
                  The ads all say private beach and swim lagoon. You posted that wasn’t true. Could you explain?
                  All beaches in Hawaii are public. Access to the beach thru Makaha Surfside property is private however there is public access at the end of the complex. It's not a true lagoon but there is a nice little swimming beach out front that enjoys some protection from a breakwater. The breakwater was built in 2003 to help protect the MS property from further erosion. It was poorly engineered and has only shifted the erosion, not solved the problem. Another breakwater will be built within the next couple of years.
                  How about the pools, exercise equipment and sauna. Are they in good shape?
                  The pools seem to be fine. Both have been resurfaced within the past few years. I don't think I've ever been inside the exercise room or sauna. Come to think of it, I wasn't aware of a sauna!
                  You also said the C bldg was less desirable unfortunately that is what's mostly for sale without spending 300 grand.
                  Not true. The only units over 300k are the 2 bedroom units. I noticed last week in a real estate newsletter I received that units like mine...1/1...are starting to drop, are staying on the market longer and the latest sold in the 175K-200K range. No 1/1 has ever gone for 300K...that I'm aware of and I think that would make huge news for the MS coconut wireless!
                  Is it that bad?
                  C building is almost entirely studio units and that building runs perpendicular to the ocean so the views overlook Waianae High School. It's also the building that tends to have the majority of the problem residents.
                  How about renters and vacation renters. Do they respect the Bldg?
                  Vacation rentals under 30 days are not allowed. I used to rent to snowbirds for 5 months a year and they took wonderful care of my place. By and large, long term tenants tend to beat up the units. Keep in mind it's a Section 8 approved complex and the complex tends to reflect that.
                  And how is the sand bag work going?
                  The sand bags are temporary, awaiting the 2nd breakwater.
                  Has the tent city made it down to the Surfside?
                  Yes. There are several tents on the beach at the far end of the property.
                  I know lots of questions. All responses are greatly appreciated. Talk to you soon. Thanks
                  It's always good to ask questions but the answers can't take the place of an actual visit. Maybe even spend some vacation time in Makaha to get a feel for the area. I'm almost twice your age so my reasons for loving Makaha may be entirely different from your experience. I'll add that I've never felt unsafe there, ever. Most of the problems within MS are domestic related. You probably read my post about the stabbing outside my bedroom window early New Year's morning. HTH...

Comment

Thanks for all the great answers TUTU. You're the best! What's AFAIK by the way. The cable co? I do plan on going out there soon - would like to stay at MS but don't know if I can take a whole month so well see. My reasons for the move are simply that I've been working 24/7 as a real estate broker in Boston for the past 12 years, I'm burnt out and will shoot my self soon if I don't get out of it. lol. That and I don't have any immediate family left, nothing to keep me here now, and I need a less stressful life. Whatever that means. I figure if I really hate it I can always rent it out and move to another part of town. I threw out the 300 just as a number. And I’ve noticed prices dropping too. I've seen studios right now starting at 104 and up to the high of 289 or so for I guess the two bedrooms. So I should try for an A or B bldg. Lots to think about. Not planning on going for at least a year. And if you don't mind me asking what brought you to the Island? Thanks again and have a good holiday.

Comment

Thanks for all the great answers TUTU. You're the best! What's AFAIK by the way.
                      As Far As I Know!
                      The cable co?
                      Oceanic
                      I do plan on going out there soon - would like to stay at MS but don't know if I can take a whole month so well see.
                      Some owners filed for an exemption (shoot...can't remember the right word) when the law changed and are allowed to rent their units for less than 30 days. You might check with a couple of realtors in the area to see if they manage any of those units:
                      Hawaii Hatfield
                      Sugar Kane Realty
                      Inga's Realty
                      My reasons for the move are simply that I've been working 24/7 as a real estate broker in Boston for the past 12 years, I'm burnt out and will shoot my self soon if I don't get out of it. lol. That and I don't have any immediate family left, nothing to keep me here now, and I need a less stressful life. Whatever that means.
                      During your research I'm sure you've learned that the cost of living in Hawaii can be a major stress all by itself!
                      I figure if I really hate it I can always rent it out and move to another part of town. I threw out the 300 just as a number. And I’ve noticed prices dropping too. I've seen studios right now starting at 104 and up to the high of 289 or so for I guess the two bedrooms. So I should try for an A or B bldg.
                      Personally, I'd stick with A building. B building backs up to the parking structure. Bedroom windows open up to that structure. You'll hear cars pulling in and out during the night.
                      Lots to think about. Not planning on going for at least a year. And if you don't mind me asking what brought you to the Island?
                      Martin Denny! I was in high school when my parents bought one of his albums. I heard 'Quiet Village' and that was all it took for the yearning to set in! I knew as soon as the plane's door opened to reveal my first sight of Hawaii and the warm, flower scented air enveloped me that, eventually, I HAD to move to Hawaii. I did...18 years later! And, I got to tell Marty my story. We ended up living in the same condo building and running with the same crowd. I'm still amazed by that synchronicity!
                      Thanks again and have a good holiday.
                      Mele Kalikimaka!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post

Martin Denny! I was in high school when my parents bought one of his albums. I heard 'Quiet Village' and that was all it took for the yearning to set in! I knew as soon as the plane's door opened to reveal my first sight of Hawaii and the warm, flower scented air enveloped me that, eventually, I HAD to move to Hawaii. I did...18 years later! And, I got to tell Marty my story. We ended up living in the same condo building and running with the same crowd. I'm still amazed by that synchronicity!

Mele Kalikimaka!
                        No WAY ! Martin Denny ? Awesome. It's amazing what that Quiet Village album can do to ya huh?

Him and Arthur Lyman...amazing.
                        http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                        Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                        Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

That's awesome that you got to hang with him. Did he still have the Moog?

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                            No WAY ! Martin Denny ? Awesome. It's amazing what that Quiet Village album can do to ya huh?

Him and Arthur Lyman...amazing.
                            I've been a Martin Denny fan since the 1950s! His music always touches my soul. I love Arthur Lyman's music, too, but don't have the same connection to it as I do Marty's.
                            That's awesome that you got to hang with him. Did he still have the Moog?
                            Hmmm...I googled Moog. So, I really can't answer that question as all I saw in his condo was a grand piano which he used to play every day. I wished I coulda been his condo neighbor in a building with thin walls!

Comment

a moog was one of the first types of electric pianos and he was one of the first users.

Comment

Working...
                              X