Moving to Oahu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Moving to Oahu

Dostoy...there's a condo/hotel downtown, the Executive Centre. Google it. Depending on the size they have kitchenettes to full kitchens so you don't need to eat out all the time. It appears the rates start at around $200/night but maybe your company can get you a better rate. Convenient location...walking distance to good restaurants, shopping, Aloha Tower Marketplace, Chinatown, Auntie Lynn, Hotel St. , yada, yada. I'd love to own a unit in that building.

JMHO...but I'd be inclined to live closer to downtown and an easy walk then take the bus to Hawaii Kai because, during morning rush hour, you'd be travelling in the opposite direction...which equates to a few minutes of extra sleep! Regardless, rents will be high from downtown to HK. Ah heck, they're high island-wide.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      Dostoy...there's a condo/hotel downtown, the Executive Centre. Google it. Depending on the size they have kitchenettes to full kitchens so you don't need to eat out all the time. It appears the rates start at around $200/night but maybe your company can get you a better rate. Convenient location...walking distance to good restaurants, shopping, Aloha Tower Marketplace, Chinatown, Auntie Lynn, Hotel St. , yada, yada. I'd love to own a unit in that building.

JMHO...but I'd be inclined to live closer to downtown and an easy walk then take the bus to Hawaii Kai because, during morning rush hour, you'd be travelling in the opposite direction...which equates to a few minutes of extra sleep! Regardless, rents will be high from downtown to HK. Ah heck, they're high island-wide.
      Wow...$200/night??? When the Ohana Hotel on Hobron was still a hotel, we stayed there for like $69 or 70/night about 4 years ago. That's how we were able to afford brunch at the Royal Hawaiian and dinner at the Ilikai. Too bad all those "budget" places in Waikiki are making way for the pricier condotels and upscale hotels.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
        If I may say so, this has been probably one of the most PLEASANT threads we've ever had for someone on their way to Hawaii. Most of it, I'm sure, has to do with Dostoy's approach. But are we also out of crankies or something? Usually someone steps up with the half-empty glass syndrome!
        I was going to say the same thing lol. I hope you have a safe trip out here, and good luck! It will make a HUGE difference to already have the job lined up. Just relax, and enjoy it!

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
          Wow...$200/night??? When the Ohana Hotel on Hobron was still a hotel, we stayed there for like $69 or 70/night about 4 years ago. [...]
          I got an $89./nite Kamaaina rate at the Hawaiiana Hotel in Waikiki last summer. But, that's on the same block as major construction...Trump's building and the Waikiki Beachwalk development. Major noise so I won't currently recommend it.

I suggested the Executive Centre because of it's convenience factor...in hopes that his company might be able to get a lower rate. Hmmm...Orbitz shows a $149. rate which is similar to airport area hotels! I agree...there are less expensive places than E.C. but it sounds like Dostoy will be working downtown and Hawaii Kai and won't have a car.

Comment

Originally posted by rhscare View Post
            I was going to say the same thing lol. I hope you have a safe trip out here, and good luck! It will make a HUGE difference to already have the job lined up. Just relax, and enjoy it!
            Absolutely. One cannot underestimate the importance.

I was sitting here wondering just WHY this seems to be of such importance.

I think it amounts to this...the fact that one has confronted the enormous task of securing employment before coming here. It truly IS a bigass deal. Suffice it to say that having gainful employment in a particular field on the mainland absolutely does NOT guarantee employment in an equally lucrative postion here in Hawaii.

The assumption by some that they will automatically transfer their skills and earning power to positions comparable to those associated with their former mainland employment is naive at best.

Comment

I feel very lucky to have been offered the job. I never would have even considered a move to Hawaii without the offer. It almost doesn't feel real. I could not imagine moving to Honolulu without a job, though I am from Maine and it is similar here, good jobs are hard to come by so once you find you you dont usually leave it. Though for a trip to Hawaii exeptions are made

We are showing our apartment here today and hopefully it gets rented so we can get our security back. I am still worried about finding a place in Oahu though I have had some great people offer my help and advice. I have been overwhelmed with the help I have gotten from messageboards and craigslist.

Comment

I have another questions if anyone is still listening

Are there any Bank of America locations in Honolulu, when I try their website it says no but google says that there are locations in Honolulu? If there aren't any could someone reccomend a bank?

Comment

Originally posted by dostoy View Post
                  I have another questions if anyone is still listening

Are there any Bank of America locations in Honolulu, when I try their website it says no but google says that there are locations in Honolulu? If there aren't any could someone reccomend a bank?
                  There are no Bank of America location anywhere in Hawaii.

For a rental....try vrbo.com You'll find something waycheaper than $200 a nite.
                  http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                  Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                  Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Can anyone give me any advice about the area between Kapiolani Park and Diamond Head? I have a chance on an apartment in the area and know nothing about it. The apartment is a bit pricey cmpared to what I am use to in Maine but I think that is true for most of Honolulu. Any advice would be great! Does the area warrant the price?

Comment

I think that area is referred to as the Gold Coast here in Waikiki...so yeah, I would expect those prices to be kinda high. But rents are also high in the houses of Kapahulu, on the other side of Kapiolani Park. The Ala Wai has plenty of rentals, but it's the Ala Wai, a long, one-way street along the Ala Wai Canal that is constantly congested.
                      I'd look at a downtown condo to rent...and as Tutusue recommended, take theBus to Hawaii Kai.
                      So I'm wracking my brain here...what organization or company has offices downtown and in Hawaii Kai? Tax preparers? Queen's? Straub? Kaiser? Restaurant? Realtor? Pacific Light Net?
                      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I'll be working for NOAA and the Sanctuaries program.

Comment

Can anyone give me any advice about the area between Kapiolani Park and Diamond Head? [...]
                          That area is approx. half way between downtown and Hawaii Kai and with no car it's not overly convenient to grocery or drug stores. There are some restaurants within walking distance. If you can afford that area...go for it! Lavagal mentioned the Gold Coast, which is a small, oceanfront section. I'd jump at the chance to live there. Do you mind telling us what street it's on (no, not the actual address!). I'm wondering if it might be the Pualei Circle area. It's filled with apts. and condos, all low rise, nice but nothing fancy at all. I've lived there and liked it but it was a bit noisy.

Comment

It is in the Pualei Circle area. I have some other places I can look at over in Waikiki and in Manoa near the University. This one looked like a good location though near enough to everything but not right in the middle, I come from a rather small city (Portland is only 40,000 or so people) so I am not sure about living right down town.

Comment

I'll be working for NOAA and the Sanctuaries program.
                              Is Suzanne the Director?

Neba mind. The Suzanne I know is Suzanne Case, the Hawai‘i Executive Director of The Nature Conservancy.
                              Last edited by 1stwahine; February 23, 2007, 03:59 PM.
                              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

It is in the Pualei Circle area. I have some other places I can look at over in Waikiki and in Manoa near the University. This one looked like a good location though near enough to everything but not right in the middle, I come from a rather small city (Portland is only 40,000 or so people) so I am not sure about living right down town.
                                If you're concerned about living downtown then you might also be concerned about Waikiki. Both have high rises on both sides of the streets. The downtown area is smaller than Waikiki, too...I think! The main difference is Waikiki is more of a 24/7 area and downtown is more like 15/5. I haven't lived in Waikiki but the main complaint I hear about is the trash truck noise early in the morning and how it reverberates off and up the high rise walls! I did notice that when I dog sat at a condo several years ago! Personally I love the energy of our small downtown area and even tho' I was raised in a town of 10,000, I wouldn't hesitate to live there (I'm lookin'!). However, my primary residence is a small condo in Makaha, a very, very rural area about an hours drive from downtown. It's nuthin' but beach...gorgeous, beautiful beach!

What street is the Manoa apt. on?

Comment

Working...
                                X