Do's and Dont's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do's and Dont's

Keo's sounds right on point, and reasonable prices, even by mainland standards. Not to mention , I'm a sucker for Thai food

I will be sure to check out LaMarina as well. I love nostalgic places, and it seems to exudes that old time Polynesian feel.

Thanks for the ideas, tutusue!
    flickr

An email from God:
    To: People of Earth
    Date: 9/04/2007
    Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
    God

Comment

Thanks to all this is more like it! Never knew about not using the term states. I did here mainland a lot during my last stay.

Comment

Well the day has come, a little late, but regardless, we leave tomorrow @ 9am, arriving on Oahu around 4:30 PM.

Thanks all for the heads up and info. I hope I have the chance to meet a few of you, some I know I will, but thanks again and see ya soon!
        flickr

An email from God:

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
        God

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
          Well the day has come, a little late, but regardless, we leave tomorrow @ 9am, arriving on Oahu around 4:30 PM.[...]
          Oh, wow! Your plans changed once again!!! Hmmm...looks like you don't have a non-stop flight. It'll be a long day but, regardless, the end result will be wonderful. E komo mai!

Comment

Moving to Oahu, I would like to know some insiders perspectives of do's and dont's...
            Humility is crucial in a new environment, drive with courtesy, don't stare, shop outside the cities,don't be a loud mouth, be respectful in ALL aspects...
            Don't walk around with egg on your face
            Sorry I couldn't resist - those are two over easy's on your
            face in your avatar?

From what you wrote, I'd say you'll have no problem - except do shop in the city if it's Costco, or in my case on Hilo side of B.I., Wal-Mart lol

One more: If you're invited into someone's home, take your shoes off before entering. We don't wear our shoes in our homes here...well most don't. Wearing slippers (flip flops) and sandals makes this easy to do. There was a story in one of the Oahu papers a while back about the poor crop of mangos during a particular mango season. Well some dumb guy entered his neighbor's home (who apparently he wasn't acquainted with yet) and was waiting in the dining room when she came in to ask her if she had any mangos to spare. From what I gather from the quotes in the story, she wasn't pleased that this guy just let himself into her home, but she was even more upset that he was wearing his shoes in her house. It's a nice, clean custom really.

The tip about slowing down in the intersection when you have the green light...that was one of the first things I fell in love with here - the aloha

Cindy
            Hawaii Eco Travel Budget Guides
            www.CoconutRoads.com
            "Taking you to the Heart of Hawaii"

Comment

Did I just say to shop at Wal-Mart? I've been on Hilo side too long. Wal-Mart's evil.

Cindy
              www.CoconutRoads.com

Comment

Tatt and Mrs. Tatt arrived a couple of days ago and should be firmly ensconced 3 floors below me...with their shoes off.

Hey...Tatt. Didya just hear the racket in the trash chute? That was my big bag 'o trash dropping 19 floors!!!

Comment

Thanks for the tips, Cindy! I found foodland and costco today, I think I will be coo with that for now

tutu, Get this, I am now in the OTHER tower! we only spent one night in 1503, long story I will tell you over some grinds. We are now in 3516, and we could NOT be happier, it is everything we were looking forward to and then some! It says "city view" but we have a GREAT view of Waikiki and diamond head, what a view to wake up to everyday.

So far, I have motored from Camp Smith, out to Hawaii Kai and a little past Hanauma Bay but it was closed today. Already very comfortable navigating around town and have a trip North planed for the weekend.
                  flickr

An email from God:

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                  God

Comment

[...]tutu, Get this, I am now in the OTHER tower! we only spent one night in 1503, long story I will tell you over some grinds. We are now in 3516,[...]
                    Can't wait to hear the story!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                      Tatt and Mrs. Tatt arrived a couple of days ago and should be firmly ensconced 3 floors below me...with their shoes off.

Hey...Tatt. Didya just hear the racket in the trash chute? That was my big bag 'o trash dropping 19 floors!!!
                      Lol. Makes me miss city living.

cindy
                      www.CoconutRoads.com

Comment

I am now in the OTHER tower! we only spent one night in 1503, long story I will tell you over some grinds.
                        Can we get the short version - or should we start guessing
                        BTW, I just noticed your signature. Haven't laughed out loud like that in a long time. Thanks!

Cindy
                        www.CoconutRoads.com

Comment

Personal peeve when I hear the "A" sound in Honolulu when pronounced

There is no "A" in HONOLULU!

Comment

Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
                            Personal peeve when I hear the "A" sound in Honolulu when pronounced

There is no "A" in HONOLULU!
                            I don't get it. "HAN-oh-loo-loo"? Or is it "Hon-AH-loo-loo"?

Comment

Originally posted by ItsGoTime! View Post

*SMACK*

It's

Ho-No-Lu-Lu

I cringe when I hear the "A" sound when pronounced

Comment

Originally posted by ItsGoTime! View Post
                                He doesn't like "hah-nah-lew-lew." Probably wouldn't want to travel on the famed "Road to Hannah," either.

We've covered this a number of times, DW. If you're not from some place, you won't know all the pronunciations - it's not just Hawai`i. You ever been to either Sequim or Puyallup in Washington State?

Comment

Working...
                                X