Jobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jobs

My boyfriend and I will be moving to Hawaii sometime in the near future for his job. Any ideas on good places I should look for jobs? Somewhere in the Marketing - Administrative field?

Thanks!

Re: Jobs

I'll be looking for a job soon myself. Maybe try here: http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap....dll/frontpage

Hopefully someone else with more experience job hunting in Honolulu will jump in
    Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility. - Sigmund Freud

Comment

The job market is better now than I remember it being in a long time. That's not to say it's going to be a cakewalk to find a job... and more importantly, that definitely doesn't mean that you'll be able to afford to live here, even with a job. Or two.

I'd wager to say there's a lot more turnover in the entry- to middle-range of administrative desk jobs than, say, management or a specialized field. Depending on your expectations for a "marketing career," you might be disappointed (seems everyone is in marketing these days!), but if you need only a desk, a computer, and regular hours, you should do fine.

Comment

Thanks. Hopefully it will be easy finding something. I'm working on finishing out my degree....maybe that will help. How is the real estate industry? Are realtors a dime a dozen? I have some experience in real estate as well and was thinking of getting my license.

Comment

Will your degree be in Marketing? I suppose that'll help. Still, Hawaii -- like probably lots of places -- is full of people with {x} degrees working at {y} jobs. I often suspect we have the highest percentage of degree-holding workers in minimum wage positions (at least as second or third jobs!).

Real estate? That's broadly the industry I'm in. I'd say right now isn't the best time to be getting into it. Or at least not the easiest time. Also, the licensing requirements recently got stricter. On the plus side, that means the number of realtors is dropping. On the down side, that means getting your foot in the door will be that much harder.

Comment

College Degrees are overrated. It won't make you smart.
            Working for 'the man' is only suitable for folks without soul.

Start a business doing something you love.

Or, if you think you are REALLY hot isht, join the military, and get yourself a real education, a commission, and a full retirement pension in 20 years.

(ewww, the military, no way, i'm a mamby, pamby, liberal, soft-headed, big-hearted, peacenik who hates Bush)
            FutureNewsNetwork.com
            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
              College Degrees are overrated. It won't make you smart.
              Working for 'the man' is only suitable for folks without soul.

Start a business doing something you love.

Or, if you think you are REALLY hot isht, join the military, and get yourself a real education, a commission, and a full retirement pension in 20 years.

(ewww, the military, no way, i'm a mamby, pamby, liberal, soft-headed, big-hearted, peacenik who hates Bush)
              Wow. Angry much?
              Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility. - Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by foxyfox31 View Post
                Wow. Angry much?
                I think it's cyclical.
                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Why would you call me angry if I don't like Bush? I thought everybody, with any sense at all, hated the guy?

FutureNewsNetwork.com
                  Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                    Why would you call me angry if I don't like Bush? I thought everybody, with any sense at all, hated the guy?

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood the tone of your post. It's so easy to do with writing.
                    Oh, and unfortunately, not everyone in southern Va hates Bush. I am surrounded by military bases and retired rich people...I see lots of Bush bumper stickers (thought not as many as a few years ago ).
                    I miss my blue home state.

Comment

Working...
                    X