Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Neighborhoods around U of H?

Getting back to info on neighborhoods
    Craig's list lists the apartments/condos by neighborhood for the most part from what I've seen. I got a list of neighborhoods around UH from the UH website.
    Any thoughts on these areas? Prices, buses, food, cost, like/dislike, any to avoid, etc.
    Makiki
    McCully
    Punahou
    Moliili
    Waikiki
    Kapahulu
    Kaimuki
    St. Louis
    Palolo
    Wilhelmina Rise
    Diamond Head (I know its further from UH, but I thought I'd throw it out there)

This would be soo helpful! Thanks
    Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility. - Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by foxyfox31 View Post
      Any thoughts on these areas?
      Waikiki - $$$$ A pain to get into/out of (only 3 routes). Hardly anyone lives there. It's all transients (tourists).

Diamond Head - Very upscale $$$$

I think the rest of the list are fine places to live. The devil is in the details. It's still possible to have a run-down street in a otherwise fine neighborhood.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
        I think the rest of the list are fine places to live. The devil is in the details. It's still possible to have a run-down street in a otherwise fine neighborhood.
        Yeah, Brian is going to stay in a hotel or hostel for a week or two to look at places. I learned the hard way several years back to never rent a place without getting a look at the neighborhood...scary! I moved out 5 weeks later
        Just trying to narrow it down a bit. Thanks!
        Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility. - Sigmund Freud

Comment

Getting back to info on neighborhoods
          Craig's list lists the apartments/condos by neighborhood for the most part from what I've seen. I got a list of neighborhoods around UH from the UH website.
          Any thoughts on these areas? Prices, buses, food, cost, like/dislike, any to avoid, etc.
          Makiki
          McCully
          Punahou
          Moliili
          Waikiki
          Kapahulu
          Kaimuki
          St. Louis
          Palolo
          Wilhelmina Rise
          Diamond Head (I know its further from UH, but I thought I'd throw it out there)

This would be soo helpful! Thanks
          \

quickly throwing this out there bcs i live in makiki and went to UH--the #4 bus runs on wilder ave in makiki and goes directly to UH and back. =)
          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

I agree with GeckoGeek. Scratch Waikiki and Diamond Head ... and all the rest are good. But I notice that there's one neighborhood that's missing from the list--Manoa! This is definitely a high-priced neighborhood, but there are hidden gems to be found for students, and for faculty and family as well. They're not easy to find, but worth a try.

Comment

I learned the hard way several years back to never rent a place without getting a look at the neighborhood...scary! I moved out 5 weeks later
              Mine was sort of the reverse. I was shopping for "affordable" on my just out of school pay. I'd find an ad that looked promising, and drive down the street. The street looked fine, but then I saw a old somewhat dilapidated building. Invariably, the number on the front of the building was the one I was seeking. The first few times it was just one of those things. But it became very frustrating.

Comment

Brian and I have been looking through Craig's lsit to get an idea of what is out there and how much it all costs. Thankfully, we grew up in the DC Metro area, so these prices aren't too surprising...but having lived in the south for several years, I got used to a lower standard of living. I'm now amazed when I see how much some things cost back home and I'm sure they cost even more on Oahu.
                The price to pay for not dealing with winter

Are there any cheap/decent hotels or hostels anyone could recommend that my husband can stay in for a week or two to look for a place? He'll arrive either at the end of August or the beginning of September. He will probably rent a car to see places, so it doesn't have to be central to the above listed neighborhoods (though that wouldn't hurt).

Comment

How do people feel about the Ala Moana area? I'm sure it's pricey as the huge mall is there...but thought I'd throw it out there.

Also, I've seen a few nice apartment listings for Makiki. Any thoughts?

Comment

How do people feel about the Ala Moana area?
                    High-rise concrete jungle. Depends on how you feel about it. But if you're thinking about going without a car, that might be a great spot. Ala Moana center is a major connection point for The Bus system.

Also, I've seen a few nice apartment listings for Makiki. Any thoughts?
                    I live there. (oops, I think I just disqualified it. )
                    It comes down to the individual building or block it's on. By in large it's a good call. If you're thinking about biking between UH and home, I think it's a good choice as it has less of a altitude gain then the routes from some other neighborhoods.

Comment

High-rise concrete jungle. Depends on how you feel about it. But if you're thinking about going without a car, that might be a great spot. Ala Moana center is a major connection point for The Bus system.

I live there. (oops, I think I just disqualified it. )
                      It comes down to the individual building or block it's on. By in large it's a good call. If you're thinking about biking between UH and home, I think it's a good choice as it has less of a altitude gain then the routes from some other neighborhoods.
                      Thanks for the info! We will be without a car for a while, at least until I have a job there. If my job is far enough away, then we'll lease one. If not, I'll take the bus.
                      I've always lived 30 mins or more away from my job, so hopefully this will be a nice change!

Comment

I've always lived 30 mins or more away from my job, so hopefully this will be a nice change!
                        Well, if you take the bus, I think your record will be unblemished.

While it's said we have one of the best systems, it's still a bus. Unless both your apt and the job are on the same line, it's inevitable it will take time to get there.

However, for all the neighborhoods mentioned, a moped is viable primary transportation. If you're into bicycles, The Bus has a bike rack on the front so hybrid bus/bike is possible.

Comment

Well, if you take the bus, I think your record will be unblemished.

While it's said we have one of the best systems, it's still a bus. Unless both your apt and the job are on the same line, it's inevitable it will take time to get there.

However, for all the neighborhoods mentioned, a moped is viable primary transportation. If you're into bicycles, The Bus has a bike rack on the front so hybrid bus/bike is possible.
                          Oh, its not that I mind how long it takes...it's that I've spent every one of those minutes driving! I want someone else to drive for once I took the bus when I lived in Richmond. Although I didn't have to transfer and was only going about 5 miles, it took about 30 mins. I biked too when I lived close to work, but when the forecast is for "98 F but feels like 107 F" in August, that sucks.
                          Biking/moped driving is also an option. I won't really know how to go about this until I know where we'll live and where I'll be working. My husband will be at UH and he plans to take the bus.

Comment

i love living in makiki. ala moana beach, which is great for families and is a popular spot for joggers/in-line skaters as well as beachgoers is all of eight minutes' drive away. walmart is within the same drive-time radius, as is ala moana shopping center, ward warehouse, ward centre, a large movie-plex. additionally, there are many different korean, chinese, thai, vietnamese, japanese, gosh i could go on, very yummy hole-in-the-wall type places to eat. there's also a jazz club within 30 minutes walk (yes, i said walk) away (well, it's 30 minutes from where i live). there's even a great little wine store just one street over in the little shopping complex one street over from my condo.

and i did already mention that the #4 University bus runs right through, and in fact, it takes only 15 minutes to get to campus?

anyway, to make this post more even-handed, this piece from the honolulu advertiser two years ago.
                            superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

you should really forget Manoa unless you don't mind paying a premium.

Apts are in high demand and the homes will be very pricey as Manoa is a very desireable neighborhood. 40-50 year old homes run average 700K-800K. Newer ones are all 1mil+. That makes renting them very pricey.

I recommend looking in:
                              Kapahulu
                              Kaimuki
                              Moilili
                              Kakaako
                              Makiki
                              Ala Moana
                              University

All of these neighborhoods will have some reasonableably priced apts. Check out the local newspapers. starbulletin.com honoluluadvertiser.com

Comment

Originally posted by 808shooter View Post
                                40-50 year old homes run average 700K-800K. Newer ones are all 1mil+. That makes renting them very pricey.
                                That's if you rent the whole house.

There's a number of them that are a "home within a home" type of arrangement. Own entrance. Effectively an apartment within a large house.

Yes, the money may not go as far, but if it's in the price range, give it a look.

Comment

Working...
                                X