Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Korea may fire missile toward Hawai'i

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
    Interesting point, the international community did little to punish India or Pakistan when they went nuclear. Therefore, in NK's eyes, there is only one course and one to take, going nuclear.
    Originally posted by Adri View Post
    There was some condemnation of India and Pakistan when they said they were going nuclear; however, neither India nor Pakistan were threatening to bomb the US or any country other than each other I believe. and, my own supposition without any real support, I think that the leaders of India and Pakistan weren't seen as unstable as the leader of N. Korea.
    Both of these are very valid points.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Re: Korea may fire missle toward Hawai'i

Originally posted by musubi View Post
      I'll even sign a non-aggression pact with you if you want. Aloha and peace out...
      I can do that. Good idea!
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Just My Two Cents.

Once, a hundred years ago or less, the USA had a two cent piece. No longer.
        Now all we have is the penny, the cent, the one-hundredth of a dollar, a dollar that bought what 10¢ bought 40 years ago.

Once, coal was our power source, then oil. In order to make our way into civilization, we needed power. Power to light lights, to power factories. But coal is dirty, and oil is getting scarce.

Although green energies are developing (solar, wind and wave/tide) they are developing more slowly than the needs are growing.

Developing countries want nuclear energy, and they want the side-effect of weapons to make themselves less vulnerable.

Can't blame them for that.

The alternative to letting nations develop their own nuclear facilities is to centralize the nuclear facilities and distribute the power 'at cost.' Right. Not from any capitalist country I know.

In the mid-1800's, the Colt 6-shooter was known as the "Peacemaker" or the "Equalizer." No king of the hill, everyone stood on the same ground, crazy OR NOT.

So, nuclear energy? Missiles? Shall they stay in the hands of the few or be equally distributed? Certainly it is frightening when a rogue country (as we view NK) has nukes and delivery systems.

We can hardly beat our nukes into plowshares, and disposal of spent fuel is still a problem, though it all came from the Earth anyway.

I look forward to the day (though I will not live to see it) when we have spent our carbon and nuclear fuels, and MUST rely on solar, wind and wave. Let them make bombs from that.

In the meantime, if we believe in Liberty, it should extend to ALL.

LIBERTY
        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
        ~ ~
        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Wow, Kaonohi, lots to ponder there! Be prepared to put on your asbestos suit. Matapule has your backside!
          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
            Wow, Kaonohi, lots to ponder there! Be prepared to put on your asbestos suit. Matapule has your backside!
            You my kinda people!
            You watch my six, I'll watch yours! All this in addition to covering our own fronts, of course.
            I'm as prepared as is reasonably possible - we all die, it's just a matter of time - in the meantime I will do all I can to prevent it happening in an unjustified manner....
            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
            ~ ~
            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
              Be prepared to put on your asbestos suit.
              Not in my presence. Very thoughtful (and thought-provoking) post, Braddah K.

Comment

Kim Jong might be upset that his man love the Korean pop star Rain had a court appearance in Hawaii. As Stephen Colbert would shout, "RAIN" with his fist shaking up towards the heavens. Stephen Colbert and Rain had a dance off on the show.
                Last edited by Walkoff Balk; June 20, 2009, 10:30 PM. Reason: add

Comment

Re: Just My Two Cents.

Originally posted by Adri View Post
                  There was some condemnation of India and Pakistan when they said they were going nuclear; however, neither India nor Pakistan were threatening to bomb the US or any country other than each other I believe. and, my own supposition without any real support, I think that the leaders of India and Pakistan weren't seen as unstable as the leader of N. Korea.
                  While Pakistan's leader may be less stable, would a country with the Taliban running amuck in its hinterland be considered "stable"? Just a thought.

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                  Once, coal was our power source, then oil. In order to make our way into civilization, we needed power. Power to light lights, to power factories. But coal is dirty, and oil is getting scarce.
                  Not highly advertised, but coal is still a major power source for our country. Hawaii with it's 90%+ dependence on oil is more of an exception. But coal supplied 52% of the baseload electricity generated in the US as recently as 2001. In regards to total power capacity, coal contributed 37%. So is coal considered "was" a power source or still "is"?

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                    While Pakistan's leader may be less stable, would a country with the Taliban running amuck in its hinterland be considered "stable"? Just a thought. /snip

Heh, no, not the whole country. I meant specifically the leader. I've seen a lot of speculation/opinion that Kim Jong-il is a mad man or mentally unstable (assuming he's really still alive *g*) in a way that I haven't seen applied towards Yousaf Raza Gilani or Manmohan Singh.

Comment

Planned North Korea Missile Launch Has Hawaii Residents On Edge
                      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                        I look forward to the day (though I will not live to see it) when we have spent our carbon and nuclear fuels, and MUST rely on solar, wind and wave. Let them make bombs from that.
                        I also look forward to that day too ... so I can contact the mothership hiding behind your moon to invade.

Humans make good slaves when pacified.
                        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

The New York Times checks in (today 6/22):

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/23/us...i.html?_r=1&hp

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                            As does today's Wall Street Journal:
                            http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124562763599235725.html

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/23/us...i.html?_r=1&hp
                              Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                              As does today's Wall Street Journal:
                              http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124562763599235725.html
                              Yep, they pretty much sums up my attitude.

"If can, can. If no can, no can."
                              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

http://turnerradionetwork.com/index....news&Itemid=50

Yokosuka, Japan (TRN)-- The United States has deployed the aircraft carrier George Washington and its Strike Group to take up station near North Korea in advance of a planned ballistic missile launch by that nation toward Hawaii. The missile launch is scheduled for July 4.
                                The aircraft carrier USS George Washington (CVN 73) with its crew of approximately 5,500 Sailors is the United States’ only permanently forward-deployed aircraft carrier. The George Washington will be joined by Carrier Battle Force 70, Carrier Air Wing 5, Surface Combatant Force Seventh Fleet (CTF-75), Carrier Strike Force Seventh Fleet (CTF-77) and Destroyer Squadron 15 in a massive show of force.
                                The mission is to provide centralized planning, control, coordination and integration of assigned assets in support of air, surface, subsurface, strike warfare, space and electronic warfare, amphibious warfare and mine warfare operations - or exercises - simultaneously.
                                Local commanders have been given Tactical Command of Cruiser-Destroyer, Carrier Air Strike, and Surface Action Groups, and will act as Combined Warfare Commander for the Battle Group and Task Force, and as Naval Component Commander for Combined, Joint, or Allied Forces. The Group operates as a component of, or as the Joint Force Air Component Commander (JFACC) directing tactical air control within a Joint, Unified, or Allied environment. This means that any act of aggression against the United States or its allies in the region will be met with a response immediately, without need for prior approval from Washington.
                                Sources in the Pentagon tell TRN that this level of autonomy is unusual. One source, who requested anonymity because he is not authorized to speak to the media, said the deployment "is designed to make clear to North Korea that the United States has had enough of their belligerence and blackmail."
                                North Korea recently test detonated a second nuclear bomb in defiance of world efforts to persuade them to stop their nuclear arms program. North Korea also recently launched multiple long range missiles capable of reaching South Korea and Japan, in defiance of both countries security.
                                When satellites detected launch preparations at another long range missile site, North Korea revealed it intends to conduct yet another missile test, this one an intercontinental ballistic missile which they say they will fire "toward Hawaii."
                                Secretary of Defense William Gates has since ordered the deployment of U.S. Missile defenses to Hawaii. Those defenses, part of the "Star Wars" system created under President Ronald Reagan, can intercept and destroy the North Korean missile if it threatens Hawaii.
                                North Korea has stated they will respond with military attacks against South Korea and Japan if any of their missiles are shot down by an outside country.
                                flickr

An email from God:
                                To: People of Earth
                                Date: 9/04/2007
                                Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                                God

Comment

Working...
                                X