Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ahhhh China - A Proud Nation With A Long History!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ahhhh China - A Proud Nation With A Long History!

edit......

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
      My fiancee' has spent ALOT of time over there doing business, and while the generalizations may be broad, it is more than just a "few incidents".

Maybe the comparisons to Japan were offsides, I admit that, I just know the many stories she tells me about China. Being born and raised in Taiwan, with a Chinese father, I take her word for it.

I'm just telling you what I've been told from someone who knows better than me.
      If your wife is part Taiwanese aborignal, then that could partly explain why she has a certain opinion on the Chinese.

Comment

Originally posted by PoiBoy View Post
        If your wife is part Taiwanese aborignal, then that could partly explain why she has a certain opinion on the Chinese.
        Actually, she was born and raised in Taiwan. Her mom is from Malasia, and her father from China.

When I speak of "honor" with regards to the Japanese, I'm more so referring to the present time. It's 2007, these types of atrocities are not being committed today in Japan (at least not that I'm aware of), while the initial post is speaking of China in the present tense.

To have that kind of atrocity happening today, in a country that is one of the new economic superpowers is simply barbaric. Especially being that it was lawfully allowed to happen.

Speaking of atrocities from more than 50 years ago, is, to me, not relevant to the initial post. This happened in China NOW.
        http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
        Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
        Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Speaking of atrocities from more than 50 years ago, is, to me, not relevant to the initial post.
          You speaking of Japan/Japanese on post 3 is not relevant to this thread. You chose to bring it up for some reason.

To have that kind of atrocity happening today, in a country that is one of the new economic superpowers is simply barbaric. Especially being that it was lawfully allowed to happen.
          is that reflective of their gov or the people? *no need to answer*

Directly the opposite of the Japanese, they(Chinese) have little or no honor among people either.
          Both you and I in our initial posts in this thread made it clear what we thought of China's governement. Our differences of opinion come from your negative comments on the Chinese people. I place the blame on their government. Given the crap and atrocities committed by their government on the Chinese PEOPLE...I cut the people some slack and I think they have handeled the situation to the best of their abilities. I imagine it is as you say "dog eat dog" over there. But that is related of the high level of poverty in China...A lot of Chinese folks are struggling to feed their families.
          I think its just plain dumb to blame the victims(and I know you didnt), and its quite clear that the Chinese people are victims.

If you walked a mile in their shoes..you would have different thoughts on them than what you have expressed in your previous posts. empathy should be practiced friend.

comparing the "current" situation of Japan/Japanese to the situation of China/Chinese is not wise. They are two different countries/cultures going through two different periods of their country's development. China is struggling with 1.3 billion people but has made leaps and bounds in recent years(as Joshua has already noted). Japan is relatively stable and has been for some time.

Perhaps 50 years from now you will have a different opinion on your future Masters ....the Chinese.
          Last edited by PoiBoy; September 4, 2007, 05:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
            When I speak of "honor" with regards to the Japanese, I'm more so referring to the present time. It's 2007, these types of atrocities are not being committed today in Japan (at least not that I'm aware of), while the initial post is speaking of China in the present tense.
            When you can't even acknowledge what happened, or even say sorry to the individual victims (not an apology to respective country), or even write a candid school textbook, how is that any different than committing the actual atrocities? I'm not saying the Chinese don't have their share of problems but to compare Japanese vs Chinese is a very touchy subject. Or even if Japanese vs Korean. The Japanese as a society, not individuals, haven't reached the level of reflection the Germans have which is why hardly anyone gives the Germans a hard time over their recent past.

Comment

PoiBoy said in post #11 "Its ranking pretty high on my worst atrocities ever list."
              You certainly did - and I'm right there with you. I only mentioned the other examples because you said this in the same post:
              but I never heard of something like ...
              and I wanted to help you out with a few other ones. All of these events (and many, many, far too many others) are horrid examples of human cruelty; I don't think I could stomach the required analysis to rank them on a list. (And I am sure you share that with me, my friend.)

Comment

thanks Leo Lakio, my friend. I already knew about the events you mentioned. But for some reason I dumbed up that post. My lame excuse is lack of sleep...

Comment

You speaking of Japan/Japanese on post 3 is not relevant to this thread. You chose to bring it up for some reason.

is that reflective of their gov or the people? *no need to answer*

Both you and I in our initial posts in this thread made it clear what we thought of China's governement. Our differences of opinion come from your negative comments on the Chinese people. I place the blame on their government. Given the crap and atrocities committed by their government on the Chinese PEOPLE...I cut the people some slack and I think they have handeled the situation to the best of their abilities. I imagine it is as you say "dog eat dog" over there. But that is related of the high level of poverty in China...A lot of Chinese folks are struggling to feed their families.
                  I think its just plain dumb to blame the victims(and I know you didnt), and its quite clear that the Chinese people are victims.

If you walked a mile in their shoes..you would have different thoughts on them than what you have expressed in your previous posts. empathy should be practiced friend.

comparing the "current" situation of Japan/Japanese to the situation of China/Chinese is not wise. They are two different countries/cultures going through two different periods of their country's development. China is struggling with 1.3 billion people but has made leaps and bounds in recent years(as Joshua has already noted). Japan is relatively stable and has been for some time.

Perhaps 50 years from now you will have a different opinion on your future Masters ....the Chinese.
                  I agree with you on all counts. Unfortunately, the conditions of ones surroundings can have a definite effect on the shaping of it's people. In the case of China, this is most likely the case. This is the case with other ethnicities too. The problem is when this kind of mentality if brought to the US and affects citizens of the US.

Here in LA we have a few ethnic groups bringing some rather unsavory attitudes and lifestyle practices here, which result in taxpayers paying for abuse of our government assistance programs....simply put...."using our system" while living some rather lavish lifestyles on government/taxpayer coin.

If you live in LA, you'd know what I was speaking of.

But, yes, Chinese people DEFINITELY suffer from a pretty corrupt government.
                  http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                  Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                  Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Working...
                  X