Hawaii Democratic Caucus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii Democratic Caucus - Oahu info

I was a volunteer at the 25th district caucus site at Stevenson School. In 2004, there were 48 people who showed up - tonite, just under 1,000. (only one district at our site) Everything started on time with the presidential poll starting right at 7pm, per party rules. It continued until everyone had gotten a chance to vote.

We then convened precinct meetings to elect officers & select delegates to the state convention. Then the fun began - counting the ballots! It took 2 counts but we finally got it right and were able to leave by 9:00 pm.

It was "organized" chaos - a few got upset with how things were going but by the time they got over to the precinct tables, it was pretty mellow. We didn't run out of forms or ballots. We seemed to have enough volunteers - and we all worked really hard! We kind of had to organize ourselves to take care of our precincts but it all worked out.

My precinct was able to fill the slate for our precinct officers, had enough folks sign up to be convention delegates and then we also chose new district officers.

Now, I'm going to fix a stiff drink, kick my shoes off & relax!
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
      Lei Liko, I have to agree with you regarding the volunteers. Many didn't know what they were doing. Most were very earnest about what they were doing. I would have volunteered if I didn't have kids to look after, and I know I wouldn't have really had a handle on what I could do or how I could accommodate the demands! And it is funny that the party knew it was going to be an amazingly overwhelming night. For that reason, I think many citizens took it all in stride. It wasn't like we were going to lose our shirts over it. it wasn't like we were voting in Pakistan or Kosovo or Florida for gawd sake (Florida chads is the joke there). We're in Hawaii and we get a chance to kick some political butt! It was amazing to see all the dems come out of the Hawaii Kai Koa woodwork!I wonder if the grass at Koko Head School will ever recover!?
      Those poor kids won't have any grass to play on tomorrow!

I forgot to add that for every one clueless volunteer, there were 3 who knew what to do, and they were very helpful and patient. After a while, I just figured that the grumblers and complainers are just naturally that way.

I just saw photos and coverage of other polling places on K5 News at Nine. I feel bad for complaining now. Ours wasn't that bad compared to theirs!

The first results are already in...26 precincts reporting in (mostly from Maui and Oahu), and already Obama has a 1500+ vote lead.
      Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
      We're not here to mess around
      Boston, you know we love you madly
      Hear the crowd roar to your sound
      Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
      You know we couldn't live without you
      Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

We voted at Mililani Waena Elementary, designated caucus site for District 37 and 38. The line wove around and through the entire campus. When we showed up and walked to the end, it was like a cross between a Loony Toons cartoon and an M.C. Escher drawing. Every corner we turned would reveal another 200 people.

We stood in line about an hour, with volunteers going down the whole length several times to answer questions and chat us up. They included Rep. Marilyn Lee and former gubernatorial candidate Randall Iwase. Oh, and my old high school math teacher and former Sears piano salesman Bob Hu.

When we finally got into the cafeteria, ballots had long run out, and we were using scraps of paper to vote. We were near the end of the line, so while we were doing our thing, they closed the doors and started assorted party business. It was madness, but hopeful madness, and I can only imagine a nice change from the four or five dozen people who normally show up for these things.

I saw one Hillary button the entire time I was there.

I posted photos the whole time. I also took some video which I hope to post tomorrow.

Comment

eric left for wilson elementary to caucus at six pm. total time he was there was one hour, not including the forty minutes he spent driving around the neighborhood to find parking. part of what helped things along for him was that he had his paperwork to register for the DNC filled out and ready. i was in class and couldn't participate. eric was asked if he would be interested in becoming a delegate, but he declined. we'd like to get involved in local politics slowly, first with the neighborhood board.

one thing that did amuse him though--to hear one of the people in line admit that she was basing her vote on instinct. she said she'd never bothered reading anything about the candidates' stances. and she mentioned that she was teacher!
          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
            1)I forgot to add that for every one clueless volunteer, there were 3 who knew what to do, and they were very helpful and patient. 1a) After a while, I just figured that the grumblers and complainers are just naturally that way.

2)The first results are already in...26 precincts reporting in (mostly from Maui and Oahu), and already Obama has a 1500+ vote lead.
            1) It was overwhelming but wonderful to see! And I agree with 1a) too.

2) Alrighty then... the tribe has spoken!
            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

With 100 percent of precincts reporting, per CNN, the caucus results are:

Barack Obama: 28,347 (76%)
              Hillary Clinton: 8,835 (24%)
              Uncommitted: 65 (0%)

Over 36,000 votes cast? That beats the 1988 turnout record of 4,900, I think! The "Uncommitted" votes are interesting too. I guess there always are uncommitted votes, but it's interesting imagining someone braving the crowds and long lines to say, "I don't know."

Comment

P.K. and I arrived at 5:15 pm. There were approximately 100 people in line to Kawananakoa Middle School Cafeteria. We went inside and didn't see Patrick who was in charge. We watched as several people acted like they were in charge. One giving orders then another stopping it. It was reality cartoon at it's best. Suddenly, without warning the front doors flew open. It was Patrick, carrying a box of important papers. His assistant carrying another one.

"Everybody OUT!!! Only District Reps, Officers and Volunteers stay." He shouted. P.K. and I stood right where we were cause we were trained at Democratic Headquarters.

Upon setting up, P.K. and I were chosen along with another volunteer to take care of New Members.

Our job was to make shua the person was in the right District and Precinct. If they were already a member of Democratic Party they go straight to the next table to register and get their name tag. Simple?

NO.

The crowd ~ MASSIVE! We remained calm and collective through-out the entire night.heheheh I got to meet so many wonderful people. Even with the chaos and whateva's, my fellow Democrats are AWESOME!!

I.D.'s after I.D's with Blue Cards attached, I created a system where those who came to me and P.K. didn't have to go to another table. I got blank papers and wrote down their Precinct/District, name with my initial. With that in hand I directed them to their table.

We finally was pau and went to our table to Vote and take part in the Caucus Election. I was voted in as President and P.K. as Vice-President for 28-07. I was also voted in as District Secretary. I was there for the count and signed my signature as such.

What a night!! I love being an AMERICAN!

Auntie Lynn
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Here's a little video with scenes from our caucus location in Mililani. Former senator and gubernatorial candidate Randall Iwase and Rep. Marilyn Lee were among those trying to keep things organized.

Comment

I'm just glad that today my phone hasn't had call after call "Out of Range"
                    and various 800 numbers all calling to either give a recorded message of
                    greetings or survey about voting, I got sick of it, that was tedious and annoying. You'd think once you got called and it got answered they stop!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                      Barack Obama: 28,347 (76%)
                      Hillary Clinton: 8,835 (24%)
                      Uncommitted: 65 (0%)
                      And what were our local papers predicting?

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                        And what were our local papers predicting?
                        I wouuldn't dwell on that! I'd ask what were the high muckamucks of the HI Dem Party thinking!
                        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

LavaGal - could I ask you to expand a bit on your statement? Maybe I could offer some insight re the "high muckamucks"
                          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                            LavaGal - could I ask you to expand a bit on your statement? Maybe I could offer some insight re the "high muckamucks"
                            I'm sorry.
                            I don't think we should have expected the media to have a realistic expectation of the voter turnout for the Democratic Caucus that was held Tuesday, Feb. 19, 2008. Instead, I think that those people in charge of the Democratic Party in Hawaii should have had an idea, given the sharp increase in party registration the week prior to the caucus, given that they were turning away people at the Ward Avenue office and telling them they could join the party and vote in the caucus on caucus night. This is what my in-laws experienced.

My point was that the press shouldn't be held accountable for not having an accurate idea of what the voter turnout would be. To me, it seems natural that it would be the Democratic Party of Hawaii that would have the best idea.

I'm really missing the mark these days on my HT posts. No one understands me!
                            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

It was .............. TOTAL CHAOS! Everything from the wrong site for the caucus and NO ONE at the incorrectly published site or any signs informing citizens where to go. Not enough Democratic party membership applications, party membership cards, ballots, voter registration forms. Plus, all precincts of TWO representative districts at ONE site. For the most part, people took it in stride and were very patient!

All in all, there was an "American Idol" atmosphere in the air.

Comment

I think this is happening in many states this year. The fact that there is neither a sitting president or vice-president running for election, combined with the changes in the American atmosphere due to the attacks of 2001, the ongoing wars in Afghanistan & Iraq, and the intensely-disliked present administration has overcome a sense of apathy amongst a large number of citizens. Who could have predicted this combination of elements would motivate a higher-than-average number of voters to become involved?

Personally, I am pleased to see it. I used to be more involved in politics, back in the days I participated in caucuses in Iowa in the 1980s. I've certainly become more jaded, more pessimistic about our government as I age - but I am overjoyed to know people who never voted before this year now not only registering to vote, but going to caucuses, watching debates, studying candidates, and participating in the whole process that used to mean something to me. That's where I find some hope.

The stories on this thread (and similar ones) are fascinating, and I am grateful to those of you who are involved and expressive about it.

Comment

Working...
                                X