X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii Democratic Caucus - Oahu info

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
    I'm sorry.
    I don't think we should have expected the media to have a realistic expectation of the voter turnout for the Democratic Caucus that was held Tuesday, Feb. 19, 2008. Instead, I think that those people in charge of the Democratic Party in Hawaii should have had an idea, given the sharp increase in party registration the week prior to the caucus, given that they were turning away people at the Ward Avenue office and telling them they could join the party and vote in the caucus on caucus night. This is what my in-laws experienced.

My point was that the press shouldn't be held accountable for not having an accurate idea of what the voter turnout would be. To me, it seems natural that it would be the Democratic Party of Hawaii that would have the best idea.

I'm really missing the mark these days on my HT posts. No one understands me!
    Your posts are very understandable!

The reason your in-laws were told to register on caucus night was because there was a backlog of applications that were being entered into the database but with only a few volunteers to do it, it was slow going. Folks were also told to print the registration form from the website & take it with them to the caucus - in case the sites ran out of forms, which did happen. There were approx. 12,000 more forms printed this time & most sites were provided with double the usual number of forms.

Training was conducted with volunteers and it was pretty good training. We were expecting large numbers of voters but NO ONE could have accurately predicted the number that turned out. This kind of historic voting could not be calculated in advance. It was all guesswork - and the guesswork was too small. Considering the typical voter apathy and small turnout at the caucuses, then extrapolating the numbers out to pure guesswork for this one - we did the best we could.

Volunteers were told during training that we might run out of ballots - which happened at some sites. The site I was at didn't run out. We were told what to do in case we ran out of ballots. The "yellow pieces of paper" were exactly what we were told to do. The important thing is that the number of ballots cast HAD TO MATCH the number of folks who signed in to vote in their precinct. If there were 100 ballots cast, there had to be 100 signatures on the registration sheets. In my precinct, there was one person reading the ballots, one person doing the tally and 2 witnesses. I collected all the ballots and the envelope never left my hands until it was sealed and signed by me at close of evening. Everything was done in a very careful manner to make sure all was correct.

Yes, one of the problems at the caucuses was a lack of volunteers. But again - how could anyone have known how large the turnout would be?

This historic caucus was a learning experience for the Party and for the voters. I'm sure the next time, things will improve in the way they are run. The wonderful thing for me was to see the enthusiasm on people's faces as they stood in those long lines. The satisfaction when they finally got to the table to cast their ballot. It was worth all the chaos, the overheated crowded rooms, the mobs of people coming towards you to cast their ballot. Everything worked itself out in the end and the folks who really wanted to vote stuck it out and made it inside. It took patience and perserverance but.............it worked.
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Re: Hawaii Democratic Caucus

Anapuni808--it was indeed an incredible night. My point was no one should have expected the PRESS to predict it. And that if anyone could have a handle on it, it would be the HIDEM party. It was a good problem to have. And what I think was also just wonderful, is that MOST people took it in stride. I was disappointed that TV news wanted to give air time to brats mitchin' and boanin' about it. Wipe your nose and shut up!

YES WE CAN!
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
        [...]but I am overjoyed to know people who never voted before this year now not only registering to vote, but going to caucuses, watching debates, studying candidates, and participating in the whole process that used to mean something to me. That's where I find some hope.[...]
        Precisely! In addition to the candidates, this "hope" is what I find terribly exciting not to mention contagious. I so wish my dad was still alive to witness this election year. When the ballot allowed, he'd vote for all the women...or all the African-Americans. If an A-A woman was on the ballot Pop was in hog heaven! Never mind if these candidates were qualified or not. I gave him such flack for that! Anyway, the Calif. primary probably would've given Pop a heart attack! He would've been beside himself over having to make a decision and his family would be suffering daily bellyaches from laughing at his political banter not to mention his political ignorance which, btw, is genetic! Election day would've been a no-brainer for him.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
          I so wish my dad was still alive to witness this election year. When the ballot allowed, he'd vote for all the women...or all the African-Americans. If an A-A woman was on the ballot Pop was in hog heaven! Never mind if these candidates were qualified or not. I gave him such flack for that!
          Well, at least his vote balanced out against the votes coming from people who automatically voted for male WASPs without doing their research.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
            Well, at least his vote balanced out against the votes coming from people who automatically voted for male WASPs without doing their research.
            True! Had I thought of that years ago I wouldn't have given him such flack!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
              I am overjoyed to know people who never voted before this year now not only registering to vote, but going to caucuses, watching debates, studying candidates, and participating in the whole process that used to mean something to me. That's where I find some hope.
              People were saying exactly the same thing in 1992 with Bill Clinton and his boxer-wearing, saxophone-blowing boomer self. Forgive me if I think this is all about one personality and that it, like most cults of personality, will likely fade, especially if the hot young candidate doesn't gain his party's nomination.
              Last edited by scrivener; February 22, 2008, 03:53 PM.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Do you remember how the evangelists led by Hal Jones seized control of the Hawaii Republican Party during the '80s when Jones ran for Congress? They organized and out-flanked the GOP regulars in seizing control of the party apparatus.

They didn't get anywhere in the general election, but the party platform they were able to install drove a number of Republicans to the Democrats. These included Sen. Donna Ikeda and Rep. Virginia Isbell (one-time GOP Lt. Gov. nominee), among others, who could not follow the anti-women planks espoused by Jones and his cohorts.

While I wouldn't say that the Obama supporters have "seized control" of the Democratic party, I wonder how many will stick around after the November elections, regardless of the outcome. I heard a number say that for Tuesday night, they were Democrats for Obama, but after Wednesday, they'll be back to being "independents."
                Last edited by oceanpacific; February 22, 2008, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                  Do you remember how the evangelists led by Hal Jones seized control of the Hawaii Republican Party during the '80s when Jones ran for Congress? They organized and out-flanked the GOP regulars in seizing control of the party apparatus.
                  I remember Hal Jones. He was a realtor who used to do a lot of TV advertising. Ended his commercials with "God bless you."

They didn't get anywhere in the general election, but the party platform they were able to install drove a number of Republicans to the Democrats. These included Sen. Donna Ikeda and Rep. Virginia Isbell (one-time GOP Lt. Gov. nominee), among others, who could not follow the anti-women planks espoused by Jones and his cohorts.
                  That may very well have been true. But then again, "Republicans-turned-Democrats" like Ann Kobayashi and Donna Ikeda also had their own ambitions in mind when they made the switch, I assure you. Both of them wouldn't have become chair of the Senate Ways & Means committee had they soldiered on in the GOP.

I heard a number say that for Tuesday night, they were Democrats for Obama, but after Wednesday, they'll be back to being "independents."
                  I wouldn't say that's necessarily a bad thing. I too vote for the person, not the party. It will take more than a D next to their name for anyone to earn my vote.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                    If the generally GOP-centric Hawaii Kai area is going nutso at the Democratic Caucus tonight, imagine the heavily Democratic areas of Hawaii?
                    What are the other communities or areas on Oahu that lean heavily one way or the other, ie liberal or conservative?

Comment

Based on who gets voted into the state legislature, the Oahu neighborhoods that are most hard-core Republican are Waialae Iki, Hawaii Kai, Aina Haina and Kahala. Some communities have historically been more independent and can vote either Democrat or Republican. These would include Kaneohe, Maunawili, Kailua, Lanikai, Enchanted Lake, Manoa, Liliha, McCully. Ewa, Makakilo, and Kapolei, which used to be Democratic strongholds, have started turning more towards the Republicans as the demographics there have shifted.

Most of the rest of the island is solidly Democratic.

Comment

Based on who gets voted into the state legislature . . ., the Oahu neighborhoods that are most hard-core Republican are Waialae Iki, Hawaii Kai, Aina Haina and Kahala. Some communities have historically been more independent and can vote either Democrat or Republican. These would include Kaneohe, Maunawili, Kailua, Lanikai, Enchanted Lake, Manoa, Liliha, McCully. Ewa, Makakilo, and Kapolei, which used to be Democratic strongholds, have started turning more towards the Republicans as the demographics there have shifted.

Thanks Frankies Market

Comment

Based on who gets voted into the state legislature, the Oahu neighborhoods that are most hard-core Republican are Waialae Iki, Hawaii Kai, Aina Haina and Kahala. Some communities have historically been more independent and can vote either Democrat or Republican. These would include Kaneohe, Maunawili, Kailua, Lanikai, Enchanted Lake, Manoa, Liliha, McCully. Ewa, Makakilo, and Kapolei, which used to be Democratic strongholds, have started turning more towards the Republicans as the demographics there have shifted.

Yes! I hang my head in shame! If you are inclined, my column linked below is about Hawaii Kai Democrats.
                          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                            We're going to participate tonight. I feel somewhat uncomfortable signing up to be an official Democratic party member, but if the party system is the way democracy works, we'll play along.
                            That feeling of uncomfortability is your conscience... a warning that your journalistic integrity could be in jeopardy now that your Dem bias is in writing, sealed by a signature. Sorry to be blunt, but someone had to say it.

At the very least, the Office of Elections can now rebuff your attempt (should you make one) to serve as an election official in a particular precinct if there are already too many “card-carrying Democrats” in that precinct.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                            USA TODAY, page 2A
                            11 March 1993

Comment

I'm a journalist? Sweet. I guess I missed the memo.

I doubt that the membership lists of any political party is completely devoid of journalists. I also don't think it's an instant disqualification for precinct volunteers (as I've seen some pretty hardcore partisans at those cafeteria tables in the past). Realistically, we can't expect journalists to not participate in anything... only that they not turn their coverage into advocacy.

Actually, I'm wondering if we'll make the roster at all. Considering the chaos, and the fact that everything was done on scraps of torn paper, I'm not sure if the Democratic Party will be able to fully maximize the record turnout they got that night.

Comment

Last time I looked there was no rule that said journalists couldn't participate in democratic activities like voting by virtue of their profession. Many claim they don't vote, but if that's true I think they're going overboard in their worship of "objectivity."
                                http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Working...
                                X