X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections - Chapter 2

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
    This may be true but I don't think the history books credit Ross Perot, and I do not recall on election night anyone talking much about Perot's impact on the election. His run as a 3rd party candidate was most certainly impressive, but by 1996 he was not a factor at all.
    But however great or small an impact you want to give to Ross Perot in the results of the '92 presidential election, you can't be serious in saying the Iran-Contra scandal and the '87 stock market crash had a bigger imprint than Perot's campaign. That just doesn't make sense.

And when it comes to economics, voters base their decisions about what's going on now, not what was happening five years ago. Or even a year ago.

What I'm saying here is that elections are not decided on what happened 4 years ago. It's decided on what is happening now.

Heck, I'll even say that Pat Buchanan's abortive 1992 bid for the GOP nomination (a minor footnote in the annals of American history, if even that) had significantly more relevance to the '92 presidential campaign than anything having to do with Dukakis' efforts in '88.

1992 was moreso a combination of the economy in a recession and Bush's 90% popularity during the Gulf War that was shrunk in half by election time, ironic that his son is suffering some of the same sins of the father.
    Fortunately for Jr. Bush (and unfortunately for the country), the difference is that the economy tanked at the end of Dubya's 2nd term. Whether he is doing a good or bad job, he's a lameduck president. And judging by the way he's conducting himself, it's obvious he doesn't give a rip about his record high disapproval rating.

But in hindsight I'd take Senior Bush over what we have now in the White House in a heartbeat.
    I still have my "Don't Blame Me. I voted for Nader." bumper sticker.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I don't have the time now, but I'll look up Bush, Sr.'s popular and electoral votes state-by-state to verify how much of an impact Perot's 19% popular vote drew from the Republican ticket in 1992 to give Clinton the edge. I'd say that it's going to be very significant.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
        But however great or small an impact you want to give to Ross Perot in the results of the '92 presidential election, you can't be serious in saying the Iran-Contra scandal and the '87 stock market crash had a bigger imprint than Perot's campaign. That just doesn't make sense. And when it comes to economics, voters base their decisions about what's going on now, not what was happening five years ago. Or even a year ago. What I'm saying here is that elections are not decided on what happened 4 years ago. It's decided on what is happening now.

I still have my "Don't Blame Me. I voted for Nader." bumper sticker.
        What I meant is Reagan's second term that had those events occur may have contributed to Senior Bush not having the enromous landslide over Dukakis. Don't get me wrong Bush defeated Dukakis by quite a margin in both popular and electoral votes, but it clearly was not the margin of victory Reagan had in 1980 and 1984. Whether it was Dukakis or some Joe Blow in 1988, I think things were starting to turn for the Dem's. I mean you have to look at alone bright spot in defeat, that is what I always looked at in 1988.

I have my "Don't Blame me, I voted for Kerry." My then less than 2 year old son had a matching shirt to wear as well.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
          I don't have the time now, but I'll look up Bush, Sr.'s popular and electoral votes state-by-state to verify how much of an impact Perot's 19% popular vote drew from the Republican ticket in 1992 to give Clinton the edge. I'd say that it's going to be very significant.
          This excerpt from The NY Times on 11/5/92 written by Steven A. Holmes:

Mr. Swindle's prideful sentiments notwithstanding, the impact of Mr. Perot's supporters on the campaign's outcome appears to have been minimal. If Mr. Perot had not been on the ballot, 38 percent of his voters said, they would have voted for Gov. Bill Clinton, and 38 percent said they would have voted for President Bush. Of the 31 states where Mr. Perot garnered more than 20 percent, 17 were won by Mr. Clinton and 14 by Mr. Bush. A Breeze, Not a Storm

Comment

McCain adviser steps down to avoid working against Obama

Comment

I saw this on another message board I frequent and thought it was funny:

In Loving Memory

Hillary for President

January 20, 2008 - May 20, 2008

ORDER OF SERVICE

Trinity United Church of Christ
              Chicago, IL

Processional
              Family is led in by 20 year-old Emina Bicakcic of Bosnia carrying flowers

Musical Selection
              "I Don't Feel No Ways Tired"

Family Prayer
              Rev. Dr. Jeremiah Wright

Prelude Music
              Elton John "The Bitch Is Dead"

Invocation
              The Honorable Minister Louis Farrakhan

Musical Tribute
              President Bill Clinton on the Saxophone

Tribute
              Maya Angelou

Speaker
              Andrew R. Young

Remarks
              Bob Johnson
              Geraldine Ferraro
              Magic Johnson
              Monica Lewinsky
              Maryann Pernold

Musical Selection
              President Bill Clinton on Saxophone w/Daughter Chelsea Clinton
              "Didn't We Almost Have It All"

Reading
              Toni Morrison "Almost the first Black female President"

Benediction
              Rev. Dr. Jeremiah Wright

Musical Selection
              50 Cent ""I Get Money"

Offering
              (Someone's got to pay for the service)

Norman Hsu

Pallbearers
              (With her to the very end...)

Rep. Alcee Hastings
              Rep. Charles Rangel
              Rep. Corrine Brown
              Rep. David Scott
              Rep. Dianne Watson
              Rep. Donna Christian-Christensen
              Rep. Edolphus Towns
              Rep. Emanuel Cleaver
              Rep. Gregory Meeks
              Rep. Kendrick Meek
              Rep. Laura Richardson
              Rep. Maxine Waters
              Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee
              Rep. Stephanie Tubbs Jones
              Rep. Yvette Clarke

Honorary Pallbearers

President G.W. Bush
              Gov. Bill Richardson
              Rep. Dennis Kucinich
              Sen. Barack Obama
              Sen. John Edwards
              Sen. John McCain
              Gov. Howard Dean
              Rep. Ron Paul
              Gov. Mike Huckabee
              Mitt Romney
              Sen. Joe Biden
              Sen. Christopher Dodd
              Sen. Mike Gravel
              Gov. Tom Vilsak
              Rudy Giuliani
              Sen. Sam Brownback
              Gov. Jim Gilmore
              Rep. Duncan Hunter
              Rep. Tom Tancredo
              Sen. Fred Thompson
              Gov. Tommy Thompson
              Alan Keyes
              Rep. Cynthia McKinney
              Gov. Howard Dean
              Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
              We're not here to mess around
              Boston, you know we love you madly
              Hear the crowd roar to your sound
              Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
              You know we couldn't live without you
              Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

• Go Hillary go!

Hillary Clinton's argument for staying in the race...

"We all remember Bobby Kennedy was assassinated in June in California."

Take THAT Obama!

*smirk*

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/0..._n_103319.html
                "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                "
                Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

• Re: Go Hillary go!

I'm all for Hillary getting the Oval Office just for the finger in the eye to all the Hillary/Clinton haters, but she needs to sit down, take a break, and find a new row to how.
                  https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

YOU are TOO funny, Joe!!

Comment

I'm certainly no Hillary-hater, and would certainly vote for her over Sen. McCain, were she the nominee, despite the fact that my preference at present is for Sen. Obama.

But she is sounding frighteningly desparate in these waning days of the primary season, and her statements are becoming more and more discomforting. This assassination reference, on the heels of her "white Americans" comments, make me feel that the time for her to end her campaign has passed.

Unfortunately, she is coming across as bitter, as if Sen. Obama spoiled her run for the presidency, as if it was her turn for the office, that she was destined for an historic first, and it now appears that he may be the one to be a "first."

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
                        YOU are TOO funny, Joe!!
                        I just can't resist taking a cheap shot, Cindy

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                        she needs to sit down, take a break
                        Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                        Unfortunately, she is coming across as bitter
                        Yeah. I get the sense she's burning out also. It's brutal to be the public face of a gigantic political organization. And it's no fun being on a losing team.

I don't envy any presidential candidate, nor a president for that matter. I have a friend who's finishing up his second term as mayor of his little New England town. He's proud of what he's accomplished, but he's had enough of politics and won't run for another term.

And to be fair to Hillary, I quoted a quote of her, out of context. Like I said, a cheap shot.

My daughter will be sad. She wanted to see a woman president. She also wanted Hillary and Obama to share office so we could have both a first woman and a first non-white president.
                        "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                        "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                        "
                        Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
                          My daughter will be sad. She wanted to see a woman president.
                          Someday, she will - maybe not this time around, but it's gonna happen, and probably in her lifetime. Hey - maybe she'll be the one.

Comment

• This guy is really pisssed off at Hillary.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540...98368#24798368
                            http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                            http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Should This Thread be in "Hawaii Hall"?

Doesn't this thread belong in the "American Asylum" more than it does here with "Hawaii Hall"? How much of the posts are national vs. local in this topic thread?
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

• Re: This guy is really pisssed off at Hillary.

that is the same guy whose comments about making clinton end her candidacy evoked images of "beating" sense into women:

Somebody who can take her into a room and only he comes out.
                                --Keith Olbermann, April 23, 2008.

eric and i were avid watchers of "countdown," despite olbermann's clear bias towards obama. other than the obama v. clinton matter, we were sympatico with olbermann.

in his most recent special comments (for which susie provided the video), he repeatedly says that "we have forgiven (clinton).... (insert something she did that he didn't like here)."

well, even if i preferred obama over clinton, as a domestic abuse survivor, i could never find it in myself to forgive olbermann.
                                superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Working...
                                X