X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Go Hillary go!

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    But she is sounding frighteningly desparate in these waning days of the primary season, and her statements are becoming more and more discomforting. This assassination reference, on the heels of her "white Americans" comments, make me feel that the time for her to end her campaign has passed.
    Well, if Clinton was carrying on with her faltering presidential campaign with the idea of placing herself in prime position to be the veep, that ill-advised RFK comment has probably dashed that hope. Her Friday afternoon "clarification" of her RFK reference sounded half-hearted at best. Note that it wasn't even an apology. She merely expressed her "regret" towards the Kennedy family. She still has made no apology to Obama.

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Unfortunately, she is coming across as bitter, as if Sen. Obama spoiled her run for the presidency, as if it was her turn for the office, that she was destined for an historic first, and it now appears that he may be the one to be a "first."
    What would really stick in Clinton's craw would be if Obama chose another woman to be his running mate. Kathleen Sibelius has been mentioned as a possible candidate. If she's chosen and the Obama/Sibelius ticket storms to victory in November, then the Kansas Governor will be the one basking in the limelight as the first female veep while Clinton is out in the cold.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

• Re: This guy is really pisssed off at Hillary.

Hmmm. I guess Keith's bluntness is too much for some folks here to handle.

If you fall into that category, may I suggest that you put your blinders on and make Fox your exclusive news source. That way, you can be enlightened (brainwashed?) by the brilliance that is, Bill O'Reilly.

Behold Billo's magnificence, for those who haven't seen it yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tJjNVVwRCY
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

• Re: Should This Thread be in "Hawaii Hall"?

Originally posted by mel View Post
        Doesn't this thread belong in the "American Asylum" more than it does here with "Hawaii Hall"?
        np :_)

Someday, she will - maybe not this time around, but it's gonna happen, and probably in her lifetime. Hey - maybe she'll be the one.
        I'd be surprised if she wanted a spotlight job in politics. I'd hate to be the father of a politician, having to be mindful of my own public image and protecting hers. If it is her true calling, I hope I don't try to smother it for my own benefit.
        Last edited by MyopicJoe; May 24, 2008, 11:13 PM.
        "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
        "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
        "
        Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

• Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections - Chapter 2

HRC said the 1992 primary campaign went to June but that's NOT true. Paul Tsongas dropped out of the race in mid-March, effectively giving the nomination to Bill Clinton.

I'm horrified she would say she's staying in the race in the off-chance that Obama might be assassinated.

Kudos to Obama for not getting in the gutter with her. He showed great restraint by calling the remark "unfortunate."

Comment

• Re: Should This Thread be in "Hawaii Hall"?

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
            I'd hate to be the father of a politician, having to be mindful of my own public image and protecting hers. If it is her true calling, I hope I don't try to smother it for my own benefit.
            Yeah - it's sad that we live in an era where "politician" is not considered an honorable vocation. It scares off so many young people who may have innovative visions toward improving the world. Then again, they will be the same ones who find ways to make those changes in non-traditional fashions.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
              Hmmm. I guess Keith's bluntness is too much for some folks here to handle.
              if by "some folks" you mean me, then you're wrong. hello, former olbermann groupie, here! that is, until he went "blunt" with the violence against unruly, stubborn women imagery. for me, that was more unforgiveably unfortunate than all of hillary's comments you find offensively stupid, combined. for me, KO is kinda like the hypothetical boyfriend i really loved...until he punched me in the face bcs i disagreed with him on coke versus pepsi or something. there's fondness there, but it has to be nostalgic, and from afar.

If you fall into that category, may I suggest that you put your blinders on and make Fox your exclusive news source. That way, you can be enlightened (brainwashed?) by the brilliance that is, Bill O'Reilly.
              there are a myriad of other choices between olbermann and orally, who are about as diametrically opposed to each other as you might find in terms of talking heads. there are similarities, tho--the whole "male, authoritative, voice of comfort" thing (your political flavor would determine which of the two you'd choose), is one example. that both came to their jobs from outside your typical news anchor type position is another (BO from the glory of "inside edition," KO from espn). both are known for their tantrums and big egos. both have certain facial features for which they are mocked--bill's splotchiness (which reveals itself when he gets mad, likely bcs he's been proven wrong) & keith's eyebrows (ever seen him pre-MSNBC & pre-eyebrow grooming, with moustache, when he was on SportsCenter? if not, look here).

here, stephen colbert out o'reillies o'reilly.

sorry for the thread drift, but here's a sentence that will bring it back on track: ironic that BO, on the whole, is kinder to HRC than KO, or so i hear. you'd have to lobotomize me or pay me millions of $$ to watch just one eppy of the (effed up) factor. (p.s. eric gleefully blocked fox news from his mom's dvr without her knowing it, to "gently nudge" her viewpoint. cracks me up!)
              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by Creative-1 View Post
                HRC said the 1992 primary campaign went to June but that's NOT true. Paul Tsongas dropped out of the race in mid-March, effectively giving the nomination to Bill Clinton.

I'm horrified she would say she's staying in the race in the off-chance that Obama might be assassinated.

Kudos to Obama for not getting in the gutter with her. He showed great restraint by calling the remark "unfortunate."
                I remember Paul Tsongas dropping out most likely due to health reasons more than anything else, he died not too long ago as I recall. But former California Governor (now California Attorney General) Jerry Brown beat Clinton in several primaries and might be regarded as the runner-up to Clinton for winning the dem's ticket that year. I know I voted for Jerry Brown in the primary in Arizona that year.

Brown can run for California again based on an old California law that he was sort of grandfathered into despite his two terms he already served. His father was governor and sister ran for governor too. I would not be surprised if Brown who has climbed back up the ladder politically with a two-term run as Oakland Mayor and now being Attorney General will see how well John McCain does in the fall to decide what chances he has at age 70 to run for California governor in 2010.

In 1968 you had RFK, Vice President Hubert Humphrey as well as Eugene McCarthy running for the Dem's ticket. People forget LBJ was going to run for re-election in 1968, he barely defeated Eugene McCarthy in the New Hampshire primary and polls showed him losing the Wisconsin primary to McCarthy and especially to RFK who entered the race shortly thereafter. LBJ decided not to run for re-election, amazing popularity that he had had just 4 years earlier had dwindled due to a unpopular war.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                  if by "some folks" you mean me, then you're wrong. hello, former olbermann groupie, here!
                  I don't myself a "groupie" of anybody. As much as I enjoy KO's show, as I said in an earlier post in this thread, the man does have his own agenda and presents his own viewpoints and slants on the stories that he presents. So I take everything presented with a grain of salt. Unlike other shows like Hardball (Chris Matthews) and Anderson Cooper 360, notice that Keith trots out his guests one at a time. He doesn't ever engage in lively debates on his show. That's why his list of "regulars" are those who pretty much those who share his views. You're not likely to see someone like Pat Buchanan or Karl Rove appear on Countdown.

there are a myriad of other choices between olbermann and orally, who are about as diametrically opposed to each other as you might find in terms of talking heads.
                  Hmmm. I guess my winking smiley didn't get job done in conveying that my previous post (presenting Billo as an "alternative" to KO) wasn't supposed to be taken seriously. *sigh*

sorry for the thread drift, but here's a sentence that will bring it back on track: ironic that BO, on the whole, is kinder to HRC than KO, or so i hear.
                  For the same reason that Rush Limbaugh invited Bill Clinton, of all people, to speak to his audience of dittoheads on the day of the Texas primary. Billo and Rush figure that the longer the fight for the Democratic nomination goes, the better the chances for McCain in November.

BTW, if you think that KO was being hard on Clinton, you should hear what other people are saying. Rachel Maddow (KO's substitute/Air America host) has continually taken shots at the Clintons and has openly speculated on her radio show that Hillary might engage in a "scorched earth" strategy to ensure that the Dems fail in the General Election if she is not the nominee.

And Rachel doesn't exactly fall into the "male, authoritarian" category. At least, not as far as I can see.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                    I remember Paul Tsongas dropping out most likely due to health reasons more than anything else, he died not too long ago as I recall. But former California Governor (now California Attorney General) Jerry Brown beat Clinton in several primaries and might be regarded as the runner-up to Clinton for winning the dem's ticket that year. I know I voted for Jerry Brown in the primary in Arizona that year.
                    I don't recall Tsongas' health being a factor in his dropping out of the '92 presidential race. If I remember right, Clinton established a sizable lead in that year's Super Tuesday that he would not relinquish. From that point on, the other Democratic contenders like Tsongas, Brown, and Tom Harkin slowly faded out.

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                    In 1968 you had RFK, Vice President Hubert Humphrey as well as Eugene McCarthy running for the Dem's ticket. People forget LBJ was going to run for re-election in 1968, he barely defeated Eugene McCarthy in the New Hampshire primary and polls showed him losing the Wisconsin primary to McCarthy and especially to RFK who entered the race shortly thereafter. LBJ decided not to run for re-election, amazing popularity that he had had just 4 years earlier had dwindled due to a unpopular war.
                    Don't forget that George Wallace's run for President as an American Independent party candidate attracted many conservative Southern Democrats, especially those who fiercely opposed desegregation. For all the talk we've had in this thread about Ross Perot's impact as a 3rd party candidate, it's important to remember that Perot failed to win any states in either the '92 and '96 general election. Wallace actually carried 5 states in the '68 election.

Comment

I don't myself a "groupie" of anybody.
                      oh, i sometimes develop minor crushes. to eric's bemusement, my eyes used to light up a little if i even heard the first few notes of the countdown theme. hence my very sad disillusionment.

Hmmm. I guess my winking smiley didn't get job done in conveying that my previous post (presenting Billo as an "alternative" to KO) wasn't supposed to be taken seriously. *sigh*
                      perhaps it didn't. *shrug*

BTW, if you think that KO was being hard on Clinton, you should hear what other people are saying.
                      trust me, i'm familiar with the vitriol.

Rachel Maddow (KO's substitute/Air America host) has continually taken shots at the Clintons and has openly speculated on her radio show that Hillary might engage in a "scorched earth" strategy to ensure that the Dems fail in the General Election if she is not the nominee.
                      as you said, KO hardly ever brings in anyone who has an opinion divergent from his; that maddow is a woman gives her a pass to be more "attack doggy" (for lack of a better way of saying it) than KO would be, esp with MSNBC's matthews & KO having made what have been seen as sexist criticisms of clinton.

sidenote: eric much preferred allison stewart as KO's sub. he had a special twinkle in his eye for her, too.

And Rachel doesn't exactly fall into the "male, authoritarian" category. At least, not as far as I can see.
                      well, she does have a jawline and neck that are less delicate than allison stewart's....
                      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

I don't recall Tsongas' health being a factor in his dropping out of the '92 presidential race. If I remember right, Clinton established a sizable lead in that year's Super Tuesday that he would not relinquish. From that point on, the other Democratic contenders like Tsongas, Brown, and Tom Harkin slowly faded out.

Don't forget that George Wallace's run for President as an American Independent party candidate attracted many conservative Southern Democrats, especially those who fiercely opposed desegregation. For all the talk we've had in this thread about Ross Perot's impact as a 3rd party candidate, it's important to remember that Perot failed to win any states in either the '92 and '96 general election. Wallace actually carried 5 states in the '68 election.
                        When Tsongas dropped out of the race yes I do believe he did not attribute his health to be the reason. It's been revealed though he was not telling the truth about his health and he would have died in office had he been elected President. There were rumors that he had collapsed a few times during the campaign (not in public), I'm sure the stress of the election did not help his health at all. Read this about Tsongas:

http://www.livescience.com/history/0...l-records.html

As for George Wallace, given the close election between Nixon and Humphrey, it is likely that Wallace made enough of an impact to help swing the election just enough in one direction.

Aj

Comment

• Fox News Suggests Obama Assassination

If you think that's incendiary, listen to Fox News contributor Liz Trotta take the “assassination” flap one step further by LAUGHING at the idea of Barack Obama being shot. You heard right, not RFK.... Barack.

A new low in journalism.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                          USA TODAY, page 2A
                          11 March 1993

Comment

Not to say FOX news is anything but unfair and unbalanced trash, but this is manini potatos and not worth a mention.

The mainstream media doesn't even address the real news that needs to be heard. Otherwise we'd be in much better shape as a country.
                            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

• Re: Fox News Suggests Obama Assassination

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                              Fox News ... journalism
                              Oh come now; you know better than to use these in the same sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                                Not to say FOX news is anything but unfair and unbalanced trash, but this is manini potatos and not worth a mention.
                                First of all, I’m voting for Ron Paul, not Obama, but I would strongly disagree with your statement. Threatening the life of a presidential candidate is a felony punishable by law, and whether Ms. Trotta and Fox News were recklessly negligent in airing her comments is a legitimate concern.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                                USA TODAY, page 2A
                                11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                                X