X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections - Chapter 3

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Speaking of blanketly demonizing
    I wouldn’t consider that to be blanketly demonizing. I said “old people like yourself” (Ron Whitfield). For all I know, there are very few old people like Ron Whitfield. He may be an alien from outer space or Jesus Christ himself.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
      Old people like yourself don’t give a rat’s @ss about the young people.
      Speaking as one of the "old people", Tunnl, I hope you will be fortunate enough to grow up one day.
      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

The value of the U.S. dollar is far less the it once was, and in any case is not where it should be, considering America’s status in the world. We print new money freely without the gold standard to back it up, and as result inflation artificially skyrockets every year.
        I absolutely agree with you that no party single-handedly takes the blame for all of this country's woes.

But if you're gonna make an argument that will convince a zealot like Ron, you probably don't want to talk about the U.S. getting off the gold standard. Remember, it was Nixon (a Republican) who closed off the gold window.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

When did 50ish get to be old?
          “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
          http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
            Whenever you ask someone younger than their mid-40s.

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
              Whenever you ask someone younger than their mid-40s.
              Wrong, Leo. Clearly it was someone older than their mid-40s who injected age into this discussion:
              Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
              I'm over 50 and have lived an awesome life ... How old are you ... I have the feeling you weren't old enuf during the Nixon years

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

Wrong, Leo. Clearly it was someone older than their mid-40s who injected age into this discussion:
                Re-read the comments, my pal. I believe the implication is that you were the one who first suggested that 50ish was defined as "old," which is what sinjin asked about.

Comment

Re-read the comments, my pal. I believe the implication is that you were the one who first suggested that 50ish was defined as "old," which is what sinjin asked about.
                  You need to re-read the comments. My comments followed Whitfield’s. He implied his opinion was somehow more qualified based on age alone. My remark referring to him as an “old person” while giving an example of behavior, was simply a sarcastic way of dispelling his “age is smarter” argument.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                  11 March 1993

Comment

You know what?

I'm really tired of the stupid, off-topic, mis-interpretation debates over semantics that have been happening so often lately here on HT - usually triggered and fueled by the same handful of individuals who seem to thrive on them.

I don't want to play. I suspect there are many others here who don't either. Think what you like, TuNnL - I really don't give a crap. Guess I'm just "too old" for your games.
                    Last edited by Leo Lakio; September 9, 2008, 01:56 PM.

Comment

I don't want to play. I suspect there are many others here who don't either. Think what you like, TuNnL - I really don't give a crap. Guess I'm just "too old" for your games.
                      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

• I'll accept 'zealot'...

...as defined in the dictionary, but I'm not of a particular sect, just striving to be a worthy American.

I'm old enuf to have paid attention to know the good from the bad from the ugly. Dems = bad, republicans = ugly.
                        The US dollar is toast, and there won't be anything in SS for me.

Tunnl, who else other than RP in the republican party would you brand as a 'maverick'? And it sure ain't JMc.
                        Anyone who aligns themselves with this bunch is guilty by association, and to vote for JMc is giving 2 big thumbs up for the last disasterous 8 years.
                        The only thing he is suddenly now the 'party of change' of, is trying to change his spots. They are never going to change, and the current crop makes the old guard republican's look positively God-like. They made sure RP didn't get to square one this year, just like the Dems made sure Kucinich didn't.
                        I'd have possibly gone for a DK/RP(?!) ticket.
                        One of the things that burns my rat's ass is exactly what you say I don't care about, that we are hopelessly in dept and future gens will never get get out from under it. All the $ we have wasted in recent years could have had mind wobbling benefits to the extreme. Not too long ago, the word was that if everyone gave a dollar we could take care of all our woes. That's history. Your estimate of 31K per person is way low.
                        Last edited by Ron Whitfield; September 9, 2008, 03:28 PM.
                        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

David Broder wrote today that the interesting thing about this years election is that there is NOT a baby boomer leading either ticket.

McCain is a member of the 'greatest generation'.
                          Obama is borderline Gen-X.

What say you to that. Seems like win-win to me.
                          FutureNewsNetwork.com
                          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                            David Broder wrote today that the interesting thing about this years election is that there is NOT a baby boomer leading either ticket.
                            We had our "boomer" presidents, one from each party, and they were both disappointments.

McCain would be a huge leap backwards, then. I'd go for a "borderline Gen-X" right about now.

Comment

Disagree. McCain was a child during World War II, so he's too young to be considered a contemporary of other Greatest Generation politicians who actually fought in that war, like George H. W. Bush, John F. Kennedy, and Dan Inouye.

McCain's too young to be a part of the Greatest Generation, but too old to be a Baby Boomer. He falls somewhere in-between. Some historians have labeled it the Silent Generation.
                              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Obama is borderline Gen-X.
                                So if you're not a boomer, you can't be "old" yet, right? Can you tell I just had a birthday?
                                “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                                http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Working...
                                X