Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who Should Be Obama’s VP?

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
    The answer to your question, IMHO, was thoroughly outlined more than a week ago, in post #47. And unlike in McCain’s case, the issue raised in post #54, further frames the issue as unresolved.
    McCain lied about his affair too, at a minimum to his first wife. So my question remains unresolved.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
      Why is it that Edwards' political career is over and not McCain's too? McCain admitted that he had an extramarital affair (with his current wife) while still married to his first wife. I don't get it. I'm not casting judgement, just trying to be logical.
      Check out this blog piece, with video. Alan Colmes goes after Sean Hannity on this topic - and Hannity claims McCain's ex-war prisoner status made it OK to have the affair which led to the divorce of his first wife.

Comment

The answer to your question, IMHO, was thoroughly outlined more than a week ago, in post #47. And unlike in McCain’s case, the issue raised in post #54, further frames the issue as unresolved.
        McCain lied about his affair too, at a minimum to his first wife.
        Who cares? Did McCain lie to the American people, on multiple occasions about it (as Edwards did)? Apples and oranges, matapule..please get a clue.
        So my question remains unresolved.
        Not really. McCain resolved his infidelity by divorcing his first wife and marrying the woman he was banging on the side — well before any Presidential run. In contrast, it has NOT been resolved whether or not Edwards is the father of his mistress’ child. As stated earlier, his denials directly conflict with accounts given by Rielle Hunter’s friend and sister. The baby girl’s birth certificate is blank.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
        USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
          But, we all aren't politicians entrusted with the fate of an entire nation. Trust matters. See timkona's quote above!
          If that's the case, no human should be serving on the Capitol Hill.

Heck, we don't even have a procedure to SWIFTLY remove people in such high position for violating our trust. (He violated my trust since I have a pretty high standards when it comes to the sanctity of marriage.) Slick Willy was able to serve his full term. So, the guy who denies having extramarital affairs (plural) can still get away, while those own up to their sins -- regardless of how long he held it before confessing -- should be punished?
          Last edited by Random; August 20, 2008, 10:22 AM.
          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Maybe Joe Biden is putting up a smoke screen by saying he isn't the guy. Because it seems more and more he just might be:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steve-..._b_119933.html

and

http://www.rr.com/view/content/story...9000&view=HOME

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
              Maybe Joe Biden is putting up a smoke screen by saying he isn't the guy. Because it seems more and more he just might be:
              And what do you know? Biden's name wasn't even on the poll's list. Talk about a dark horse possibly coming out on top.

Biden offers perhaps the best single package to shore up Obama's weaknesses. He has the govt. experience, foreign policy savvy, appeals to Catholics and working class white males. He's also a smart debater and not afraid to talk tough about his opponents on the campaign trail. Perhaps the only other candidate who could complement the Obama ticket better is Hillary. But of course, Biden comes without the baggage of Bill Clinton.

If Obama was more concerned about picking someone that he liked and felt comfortable with, it probably would have been Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine. If Obama was looking for a running mate with the idea of securing a key battleground state on the electoral map, it would have been Indiana Senator Evan Bayh. But it appears that Obama is looking beyond these factors in selecting his veep.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

See post #27 in this thread.....he said with a smirk.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

None of the remaining 4 are top shelf, which leaves Mr. Who? - Sam Nunn, for me, as the best choice.
                  https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                    If that's the case, no human should be serving on the Capitol Hill.
                    You got it!
                    Heck, we don't even have a procedure to SWIFTLY remove people in such high position for violating our trust. (He violated my trust since I have a pretty high standards when it comes to the sanctity of marriage.) Slick Willy was able to serve his full term. So, the guy who denies having extramarital affairs (plural) can still get away, while those own up to their sins -- regardless of how long he held it before confessing -- should be punished?
                    Nope...didn't say that and, hopefully, didn't imply that! I had hoped "Willy" woulda been kicked to the curb and that Hillary woulda slammed him with divorce papers. That he got away with it and she's still by his side makes no sense to me. Then, again, I'm not a politician. Thank God!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                      I had hoped "Willy" woulda been kicked to the curb and that Hillary woulda slammed him with divorce papers. That he got away with it and she's still by his side makes no sense to me. Then, again, I'm not a politician.
                      Ahh' Tutu, where's the forgiveness in you? True love has no limits.

Who cares? Did McCain lie to the American people, on multiple occasions about it (as Edwards did)? Apples and oranges, matapule..please get a clue.
                      Tunnl, I have to agree with you, I DON'T have a clue. You see, I think lying to your spouse about a private matter (McCain) is more aggregious that lying to the American People about a private matter (Edwards). Just call me old fashioned. I'm not condoning Edward's behavior, just trying to put it into perspective

As far as lying to the American People......over 4000 US dead, countless Iraqis dead........where are those Weapons of Mass Destruction? I don't have a clue. Can someone please give me a clue?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                        And what do you know? Biden's name wasn't even on the poll's list. Talk about a dark horse possibly coming out on top.
                        I considered putting Biden’s name in the “other” category, but figured someone as heavyweight as him deserved his own slot, and HT polls only allow 10. In hindsight, his name should have replaced Edwards.

Biden offers perhaps the best single package to shore up Obama's weaknesses. He has the govt. experience, foreign policy savvy, appeals to Catholics and working class white males. He's also a smart debater and not afraid to talk tough about his opponents on the campaign trail.
                        Clearly if the short list has dwindled down to the choices in Leo’s article, Obama would be foolish not to pick Biden.

Perhaps the only other candidate who could complement the Obama ticket better is Hillary. But of course, Biden comes without the baggage of Bill Clinton.
                        I disagree that it’s only about the baggage. Hillary represents the old guard in both her message and her actions. Choosing her would directly conflict with Obama’s message of change in Washington.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

Ahh' Tutu, where's the forgiveness in you? True love has no limits.
                          Close! But I'll amend that to read...True love of politics has no limits!

Comment

I considered putting Biden’s name in the “other” category, but figured someone as heavyweight as him deserved his own slot, and HT polls only allow 10. In hindsight, his name should have replaced Edwards.
                            I wouldn't fault including Edwards' name, at the time. Nobody saw the Rielle Hunter scandal coming. Except for avid readers of the National Enquirer.

I disagree that it’s only about the baggage. Hillary represents the old guard in both her message and her actions. Choosing her would directly conflict with Obama’s message of change in Washington.
                            Well, what is Biden, then? He's as old guard as they come. He's been in Washington 20 years longer than the Clintons. In fact, when Biden was first elected to the Senate, Bill and Hillary were still students at Yale Law School.

If you ask me, selecting Biden also runs against the idea of "change in Washington." But since people have reservations about Obama for his inexperience, the only way to allay those concerns is to select a running mate who has the experience.

This all sounds like typical whining from the conservative media. If Obama picks Clinton or Biden to be his running mate, they'll say, "I thought he was supposed to be the candidate of change." If he picks someone like Tim Kaine, then they'll say, "How can Obama pick an inexperienced guy like Kaine when he himself has such a short resume?" But of course, for the conservative pundits, Obama isn't supposed to make a good choice, either way.
                            Last edited by Frankie's Market; August 21, 2008, 08:59 PM.
                            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule
                              As far as lying to the American People......over 4000 US dead, countless Iraqis dead........where are those Weapons of Mass Destruction? I don't have a clue. Can someone please give me a clue?
                              Weapons of Mass Destruction: Saddam Hussein and his two sons.
                              Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Nobody saw the Rielle Hunter scandal coming. Except for avid readers of the National Enquirer.
                                Actually, the Enquirer can’t take credit for breaking the story. It first made print in the New York Post in August 2007, albeit in a much more vague way. Speaking of Reille, she has broken her silence, in a “10-3” for an “083” kind of way.

Well, what is Biden, then? He's as old guard as they come. He's been in Washington 20 years longer than the Clintons.
                                I agree completely. As I said previously, he is the best choice if (and only if) the remaining candidates have dwindled down to the ones outlined in Leo’s article.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                                11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                                X