Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Who should be McCain's VP?

Originally posted by matapule View Post
    Is it any of our business? No, as her private life it is none of our business, but IF she has participated in a coverup and lying for political gain, then it becomes our business. Clinton didn't have an affair with "that woman, Ms Lewinsky" for political gain. He did it to satisify his libido. I don't judge Clinton for having the affair, that is his private matter. His lying about it when caught is pathetic.
    And yet Slick Willy served his full term, when he should have gotten an impeachment before then. If it is our business, why didn't we do something about that?
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Lets make up a list of all the talented men whose service we would have lost if they had been thrown out of their jobs because of their private lives. I'll start. General Eisenhower at the height of World War Two. That would have been great. Another example. FDR at the height of the last Great Depression. Okay, your turn...

Comment

No foget Thomas Jefferson.

Comment

I don't count myself in the pro-life camp but not pro-abortion either. IF THE STORY IS TRUE.....I would have admired Gov. Palin if she had said, "my daughter was pregnant with a special needs baby, we encouraged her to give birth because my husband and I don't believe in abortion. Now my daughter and the baby need lots of help and love and my husband and I are going to insure that happens forever. " Now that is a person I could admire. That is someone who talks the talk and walks the walk!
          I concur with those sentiments. But guess what? Many members of the evangelical right who make up the core of Sarah Palin's support base are, shall we say, a bit more judgemental about a politician having a child who is an unwed teen mother. Hey, when you court voters who support a zero-tolerance policy for abortion and a creationist curriculum in the schools, you had best have a squeaky clean family image.

Is it any of our business? No, as her private life it is none of our business, but IF she has participated in a coverup and lying for political gain, then it becomes our business. Clinton didn't have an affair with "that woman, Ms Lewinsky" for political gain. He did it to satisify his libido. I don't judge Clinton for having the affair, that is his private matter. His lying about it when caught is pathetic.
          I concur again. And I want to re-iterate here: I'm not concerned, nor is it my intention to be judgemental, about Bristol Palin possibly being an unwed teenage mother. What I would be concerned about is Sarah Palin possibly engaging in an elaborate cover-up scheme to conceal her daughter's pregnancy and conjuring up this courageous (some would say reckless) story about her water suddenly breaking in Texas, but nonetheless proceeding to give a 30 minute speech at a governor's conference,.... and then making an 8 hour flight back home to Alaska in order to give birth to Treg in her home state. Now, if all this turned out to be an elaborate hoax, it makes me wonder just how far a Vice President (or President) Palin would go to cover-up wrongdoing in her administration.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
            [...]What I would be concerned about is Sarah Palin possibly engaging in an elaborate cover-up scheme to conceal her daughter's pregnancy and conjuring up this courageous (some would say reckless) story about her water suddenly breaking in Texas, but nonetheless proceeding to give a 30 minute speech at a governor's conference,.... and then making an 8 hour flight back home to Alaska in order to give birth to Treg in her home state. Now, if all this turned out to be an elaborate hoax, it makes me wonder just how far a Vice President (or President) Palin would go to cover-up wrongdoing in her administration.
            Assuming, for sake of argument, both the timeline and the story are accurate, and having worked in the OB-GYN field of medicine and given birth to 2 children myself...the basic assumption is that the more pregnancies the faster those babies exit the chute! Lotsa variables and not always true, of course, but it's best to plan for it.

My water broke with eldest spawn. There was NO WAY I could've given a 30 min. speech, not even to my doctor! Did Gov. Palin stand at a podium with a towel between her legs? Add to that, an 8 hour flight? Huh-uh, impossible! There is a greater possibility of infection after the water breaks. Why would any mother, first timer or fifth timer, knowingly risk giving birth under such unsanitary conditions. And who, amongst her entourage, would allow her to do such a stupid thing?

IF Gov. Palin's tale of labor and delivery turns out to be true <cough><cough> then count me as one who considers her RECKLESS, not couragious.

I have no problem with a politician having a daughter, teen or otherwise, who birthed out of wedlock. I have a huge problem should it be proved the story of baby Trig's birth is a lie. If Gov. Palin is proved to have lied about this baby what else is she capable of lying about?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
              I have no problem with a politician having a daughter, teen or otherwise, who birthed out of wedlock. I have a huge problem should it be proved the story of baby Trig's birth is a lie. If Gov. Palin is proved to have lied about this baby what else is she capable of lying about?
              Gonna call you Nutshell Sue for that summation.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                There was NO WAY I could've given a 30 min. speech, not even to my doctor! Add to that, an 8 hour flight? Why would any mother, first timer or fifth timer, knowingly risk giving birth under such unsanitary conditions. And who, amongst her entourage, would allow her to do such a stupid thing?
                Tutu, it is worse than that. It has been reported, AND I CANNOT VERIFY IT'S TRUE, but 30min speech + 8 hour flight (including stopover in Seattle) + 60 minute drive from Anchorage to a remote hospital (where her daughter just happened to be residing), is where Sarah Palin chooses to give birth. There are ultra modern medical facilities in Dallas, Seattle, and Anchorage that could deal with any complications that could result from a 1 month premature, Down Syndrome baby. But noooooo, Sarah Palin chooses a country hospital, near her home town of Wasilla to give birth. That is about 10 hours from when her water broke! Sarah Palin says she called her doctor when her water broke and he gave approval for this scenario. Some are questioning the doctors competence if this is true.

IF Gov. Palin's tale of labor and delivery turns out to be true <cough><cough> then count me as one who considers her RECKLESS, not couragious.
                TutuSue, you have nailed it! Regardless of which scenario is true - baby is hers, baby is not hers - Sarah Palin is looking like a person who shows poor judgement, if not completely recklessness!

(Cindy McCain is on one of the Sunday morning talk shows right now and she says, "Sarah Palin has a lot of experience with International Policy. Her State is right there next to Russia. She knows how important that is.")

I have a huge problem should it be proved the story of baby Trig's birth is a lie. If Gov. Palin is proved to have lied about this baby what else is she capable of lying about?
                Tutu, for being apolitical, you ar showing a lot of moxie. We, as Americans, cannot sit idly by and let this kind of crap by politicians of EVERY party go on any more.
                Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Many members of the evangelical right who make up the core of Sarah Palin's support base are, shall we say, a bit more judgemental about a politician having a child who is an unwed teen mother. Hey, when you court voters who support a zero-tolerance policy for abortion and a creationist curriculum in the schools, you had best have a squeaky clean family image.
                  Now you hit my hot button.

In my opinion, fundamentalist evangelical christianity, is a movement that bears very close scrutiny. I count some members in my friends and family. These are people who are both Republicans and Democrats. This movement is morphing into a religious/political cult that is becoming increasingly radical, militant, and intolerant. In my opinion, this is dangerous. Isn't this supposed to be what we are fighting AGAINST in the Middle East? or is it just about oil?

It has nothing to do with whether "Jesus Christ is my personal Savior." Great, I'm happy for you. Just don't demand that Jesus Christ is everyone's personal Savior. I support religious tolerance 100%. Tolerance for everyone and every view.

Everyone needs to pay close attention and keep their eye on the ball. We do not want our country to move away from democracy into fascism. We know from history where that leads!

This should be good for a few flames. I'm going out for a swim.
                  Last edited by matapule; August 31, 2008, 11:58 AM.
                  Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

This reminds me of the Bree storyline from last season's 'Desperate Housewives'.
                    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      Gonna call you Nutshell Sue for that summation.
                      I know a former condo res. mgr. who'd like to change that to Nutcase Sue!
                      [...]Sarah Palin says she called her doctor when her water broke and he gave approval for this scenario. Some are questioning the doctors competence if this is true.
                      Based solely on my experience I don't believe for a minute that any legitimate doctor would give a woman in labor such horrendous advice. It sets the doc up for a malpractice suit.

I hope, for this particular doctor's sake, that his name remains unknown to everyone outside the confidentiality rule. Otherwise, he's gonna find himself with no time to tend to his medical practice.
                      [...]
                      (Cindy McCain is on one of the Sunday morning talk shows right now and she says, "Sarah Palin has a lot of experience with International Policy. Her State is right there next to Russia. She knows how important that is.")
                      <sigh!> I can't even come up with a legitimate retort to McCain's remark!
                      Tutu, for being apolitical, you ar showing a lot of moxie. We, as Americans, cannot sit idly by and let this kind of crap by politicians of EVERY party go on any more.
                      It really has nothing to do with politics, Matapule. A lie...is a lie...is a lie...whether it's personal, professional or, ummm, political! I feel elected officials need to be held to a very high standard. None of us are perfect. We all have our skeletons. It's how people choose to deal with those skeletons that's important to me. Ya know...taking the high road.
                      Last edited by tutusue; August 31, 2008, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spin Dr. View Post
                        TuNnL, you and Matapule missed my point completely. I never said I wasn't going to pay attention to the media - I said just being in the media spotlight doesn't make someone qualified to lead. It simply means we "know" more about them.
                        And I see you missed my point completely, as well. I never said just being in the media spotlight makes someone qualified to lead. It’s what results from that spotlight — an in-depth investigation of nearly every aspect of their life, past and present, by thousands of reporters from across the globe. You want oversimplify it by saying we “simply know more about them” but it’s far more than random information as you are implying. You see, Palin is getting a free ride, because the media has only 65 days to accomplish what has taken 30 years for someone like Joe Biden. A sitting U.S. senator (particularly the chairman of the foreign relations committee) is a national figure. And let’s not forget: Biden ran for President. He opened himself up to be vetted by the media. You want to compare a VP to a VP rather than to Obama, then there it is.

Obama's been running for President -- not VP -- for what seems like forever.
                        Yes, that is the point. We have had enough time to scrutinize the pros and cons of Obama. We have had a four-year tenure to evaluate how he responds to crisis through his rhetoric, and his actions as a U.S. senator and presidential candidate. Is the same such evaluations available for Palin? The answer is no, because the only record of such scrutiny is the Alaska media. Anybody else didn’t give a flying f*#k at the time, not to mention the fact that Palin was hardly working on issues of national interest during that period.

do simply dismiss her without learning more about her is irresponsible
                        I agree. And I haven’t necessarily dismissed her. I’m simply asking the hard questions that I fear the media will gloss over because they simply don’t have enough time.

again, it's not Gov. Palin's fault we don't know much about her (yet).
                        And again, no one is saying it’s her fault she is unknown (at least not me). We’re simply pointing out what is objectionable so far.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                        USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                          And I see you missed my point completely, as well. I never said just being in the media spotlight makes someone qualified to lead. It’s what results from that spotlight — an in-depth investigation of nearly every aspect of their life, past and present, by thousands of reporters from across the globe. You want oversimplify it by saying we “simply know more about them” but it’s far more than random information as you are implying. You see, Palin is getting a free ride, because the media has only 65 days to accomplish what has taken 30 years for someone like Joe Biden. A sitting U.S. senator (particularly the chairman of the foreign relations committee) is a national figure. And let’s not forget: Biden ran for President. He opened himself up to be vetted by the media. You want to compare a VP to a VP rather than to Obama, then there it is....

....And again, no one is saying it’s her fault she is unknown (at least not me). We’re simply pointing out what is objectionable so far.
                          And now we both understand each other.

Comment

If this rumor turns out to be true, then Gov. Palin's lie would be a "big deal" to me, and I'll tell you why.
                            Well articulated, Frankie. Surely this exact scenario has played out in families everywhere, and absent politics, would definitely fall into the "none of our business," "not relevant" category. But Palin has definitely played to her audience and deftly turned this pregnancy to her advantage. She's a working mom who worked right up until the last moment! She's a staunch pro-lifer that wouldn't ever second guess bringing a special needs child into this world! She made Trig's birth part of her public persona... and the scrutiny is, IMHO, not out of line.

I admit, I'm one of those who lives in the information firehose of the blogosphere and "alternative media," for all its strengths and faults. Is it true that this issue hasn't surfaced at all in the mainstream press? One direct question and this could all be settled... or explode.

An updated post at the admittedly uberbiased Daily Kos makes an even stronger case... mentioning, among many things, the questionable medical advice to get on the plane, the disappearance of information related to her doctor, and more than a few photos of Trig and Bristol Palin.

The weird thing is, if it wasn't for this issue, I'd know next to nothing about Palin. So, hey, at least the blogosphere has gotten me taking a deeper look at elected officials and political candidates. Right?

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                              The weird thing is, if it wasn't for this issue, I'd know next to nothing about Palin. So, hey, at least the blogosphere has gotten me taking a deeper look at elected officials and political candidates. Right?
                              We must read different political blogs, because she's been in my awareness since her election to the governorship. Granted, most of the stuff I've read has focused on her looks, but I knew who she was as soon as I heard her name on Friday.
                              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                                We must read different political blogs, because she's been in my awareness since her election to the governorship. Granted, most of the stuff I've read has focused on her looks, but I knew who she was as soon as I heard her name on Friday.
                                You must have a different definition of "political." I know what kind of blogs you read!

Anyway. Now someone at Daily Kos says a photo of Palin with a pregnant belly could put BabyGate to rest. How everyone who saw her on the day she went in to labor and flew back to Alaska couldn't notice that, I don't know. Kudos to her wardrobe advisor?

Or, you know, it's a pillow.

Comment

Working...
                                X