Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Democratic National Convention 2008

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    Tom Eagleston isn't the only reason why potential veeps are closely vetted today. Does anyone remember Spiro Agnew?
    True but somehow, someway he got on two GOP tickets that won. I believe his last public appearence was at Nixon's funeral and that had been the first time he had been seen in nearly 20 years. He's since passed on of course.

Soon after Nixon-Agnew won re-election the Watergate mess started to unfold, shows how quickly you can win a landslide and less than two years, both are out of office. The political winds as they say.

Aj

Comment

Does anyone remember Spiro Agnew?
      ...and how he referred to the "liberal" media as "nattering nabobs of negativity?" One anagram of that phrase:
      "Fat annoying bitter voting base."

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
        True but somehow, someway he got on two GOP tickets that won. I believe his last public appearence was at Nixon's funeral and that had been the first time he had been seen in nearly 20 years. He's since passed on of course.

Soon after Nixon-Agnew won re-election the Watergate mess started to unfold, shows how quickly you can win a landslide and less than two years, both are out of office. The political winds as they say.
        What did in Agnew was a bribery scheme that took place while he was the Governor of Maryland. This corruption took place five years before the Watergate break-in. Obviously, Agnew had not been vetted enough by Nixon, and his resignation from the vice presidency due to criminal charges was a far greater embarrassment to the GOP than Eagleton's abortive nomination was to the Democrats. While Agnew departed from the political arena in disgrace, Eagleton continued to serve in the Senate all the way up to his retirement in 1986.
        Last edited by Frankie's Market; August 28, 2008, 12:06 PM.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
          I just love the irony. In Hillary's speech she mentions the need to get rid of racism in America. Then cut to Sen Akaka commenting on the Akaka Bill making racism as part of the Dem platform.

Classic Liberal Cognitive Dissonance.
          I haven’t heard any of the candidates call for the abolition of native American reservations, so by your definition Tim, ALL of the candidates are racist, not just the “liberal” ones. BTW, the Akaka Bill is about protecting a political group, not a racial one, so get your facts straight before you spout gibberish.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
          USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

If even half of what Barak says he wishes to accomplish happens, Hallelujah!

That was a great speech, hope so...
            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I will always remember Agnew for his obscenely vicious slanders against the peace side during the Vietnam War. Nolo contendre to bribery and extortion. Mr. GOP all the way.
              Last edited by Kalalau; August 28, 2008, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Wow! That's thinking "NOT" in the now.
                Bring it up to today, okay?!
                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

The DNC had a great convention. Great speeches by Kennedy, Clintons, Biden, Gore and Obamas.

They appeared to accomplish their major objective: to heal the rift between HRC's supporters and Obama.

I think it will be hard for the Republicans to match. The rift between McCain and the Neo-cons probably will not be healed. Their speaker line-up seems ho-hum.

McCain's likely VP choice of Gov. Pawlenty strikes me as a yawner also.

Advantage: Obama.

Comment

Originally posted by Creative-1 View Post
                    McCain's likely VP choice of Gov. Pawlenty strikes me as a yawner also.
                    If McCain had to pick a Minnesota Governor to be his running mate, me thinks that Jesse "The Body" Ventura would have added a lot more pizazz to the GOP ticket.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

If McCain had to pick a Minnesota Governor to be his running mate, me thinks that Jesse "The Body" Ventura would have added a lot more pizazz to the GOP ticket.
                      I agree, but picking Jesse would have been even less likely then McCain picking Ron Paul. At least Paul is a card-carrying Republican. Both are candidates who’s main goal is to take down the New World Order, making them unpalatable to either Obama or McCain.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                      USA TODAY, page 2A
                      11 March 1993

Comment

I don't think Mac is into "pizazz."

Comment

Jesse has moved to Cabo...permanently.
                          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by Creative-1 View Post
                            I don't think Mac is into "pizazz."
                            No? Picking a former Miss Congeniality with scant (21 months) executive experience of the 47th most populous state is all so serious and full of substance. You called that one so riiiiighhhhttt, Creative.

Comment

TMZ.com has a hilarious video of Terry Moran from "Nightline" at the Democratic convention saying that "Obama is the son of a black man from Kenya and a white man from Kansas."
                              He then says "No matter what your politics, that is a moment for the history books."
                              I imagine it's on YouTube, somewhere. Or see it on TMZ.com.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Don't even think about a peaceful RNC protest

www.truthout.org/article/pre-emptive-strikes-against-protest-rnc
                                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Working...
                                X