This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Sarah Palin - pros & cons

Another good story is at this link on CNN.com.
    Palin should step down, conservative commentator says

Prominent conservative columnist Kathleen Parker, an early supporter of Republican VP candidate Sarah Palin, said Friday recent interviews have shown the Alaska governor is "out of her league" and should leave the GOP presidential ticket for the good of the party.
    The criticism in Parker's Friday column is the latest in a recent string of negative assessments toward the McCain-Palin candidacy from prominent conservatives.
    It was fun while it lasted," Parker writes. "Palin’s recent interviews with Charles Gibson, Sean Hannity, and now Katie Couric have all revealed an attractive, earnest, confident candidate. Who is clearly out of her league."
    Palin's interview with Couric drew criticism when the Alaska governor was unable to provide an example of when John McCain had pushed for more regulation of Wall Street during his Senate career. Palin also took heat for defending her foreign policy credentials by suggesting Russian leaders enter Alaska airspace when they come to America. Palin was also criticized last week for appearing not to know what the Bush Doctrine is during an interview with Charlie Gibson.
    “If BS were currency, Palin could bail out Wall Street herself," Parker also writes. "If Palin were a man, we’d all be guffawing, just as we do every time Joe Biden tickles the back of his throat with his toes. But because she’s a woman — and the first ever on a Republican presidential ticket — we are reluctant to say what is painfully true."
    Parker, who praised McCain's "keen judgment" for picking Palin earlier this month and wrote the Alaska governor is a "perfect storm of God, Mom and apple pie," now says Palin should step down from the ticket.
    “Only Palin can save McCain, her party, and the country she loves," Parker writes. She can bow out for personal reasons, perhaps because she wants to spend more time with her newborn. No one would criticize a mother who puts her family first. Do it for your country."
    Parker's comments follow those by prominent conservatives David Brooks, George Will, and David Frum who have all publicly questioned Palin's readiness to be vice president.
    (...)
    "She has not been engaged in national issues, does not have a repertoire of historic patterns and, like President Bush, she seems to compensate for her lack of experience with brashness and excessive decisiveness."
    Amen to all of that.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
      Palin also took heat for defending her foreign policy credentials by suggesting Russian leaders enter Alaska airspace when they come to America.
      I think what she was trying to say was Alaska might be the entry point if sometime in the future Russia were to intrude on US airspace. But maybe not -- it was pretty incoherent. It's a pity that her managers were short sightedly afraid of any criticisms and shielded her from the press. They should have done what Ed Rollins recommended and pushed her out there right from the beginning, with lots of prep sessions. She would have made mistakes, but would have learned and gained confidence. And the press corps would have learned what to expect from her. Now, she just seems so lost.
      Greg

Comment

Originally posted by GregLee View Post
        I think what she was trying to say was Alaska might be the entry point if sometime in the future Russia were to intrude on US airspace.
        If you do the math, Moscow is about equadistant to New York City
        and Anchorage.

The woman is an embarrassment. If Russia attacks the US, it will not be through Alaska you idiot.
        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
          For you early sleepers,
          We prefer to be called early risers.

here's Letterman's Sarah Palin Top 10 (...) 2. To improve her foreign policy experience, she recently went to the International House of Pancakes.
          Somebody better tell Letterman that Jay Leno did that same joke six days ago. Seriously. I just saw it on my DVR.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
            If you do the math, Moscow is about equadistant to New York City
            and Anchorage.

The woman is an embarrassment. If Russia attacks the US, it will not be through Alaska you idiot.
            "Equidistant?" Of course Russia's bombers, subs, and missile silos are all based in Moscow. Maybe you should review your posts for coherency before hitting 'submit'.
            Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Peshkwe View Post
              Nah-nah-nahnah!!!

No way is that a canuk accent! My accent is closer to canuk than hers...get the whole ouwt(out)/boowt(boat) thing going on too....AND I know the difference between a loonie and a toonie.

Her accent is closer to Minnesota and Wisconsin, she has that nasally Scandinavian descendant thing happening. Canuk is way mellower to the ear with a little sing songy lilt to it.
              I guess I heard that accent from the Frances McDormand character in the movie Fargo.

Comment

Jack Cafferty on Sarah Palin

Comment

Originally posted by GregLee View Post
                  "Equidistant?"
                  Yes, thank you.

Of course Russia's bombers, subs, and missile silos are all based in Moscow. Maybe you should review your posts for coherency before hitting 'submit'.
                  Although no one can say what Russia's military strategic and tactical planning might be, but bombers are always in the air someplace, subs are in the water someplace, and missles could very likey be deployed from either bombers or subs. It really has nothing to do with Alaska's proximity to the Russian mainland. The woman continues to be an embarrassment.

(How was my spelling and coherency?)

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                    I guess I heard that accent from the Frances McDormand character in the movie Fargo.
                    I guess for someone not used to hearing that sort of accent it'd be like listening to someone from Georgia and someone from Texas. You might not be able to tell em apart unless they were talking in the same room.

The up coming Veep debates are gonna be interesting.

One of two things is gonna happen

1. Palin gets eaten alive

2. Biden gets his butt handed to him.

I'm almost leaning to #2...just 'cause I got this very weird feeling the Couric interview was a set up. Palin was sandbagging and playing the air head in order to sandbag and get Biden to feeling he doesn't have to put he best game forward.

Keeping Palin from any interviews since the Couric one ....are they trying to hide whatever skills she has from peeking out and alerting the opposing camp.

Or do they have her in cram courses because all that's up in the bubble-doo...

is bubbles.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                      (How was my spelling and coherency?)
                      Just fine, which of course is not to say you were correct. Part of the DEW Line was in Alaska, and apparently part of the successor system NWS is there now. There is a map of NWS here. This is not to say what Palin said about her foreign policy experience makes any sense.
                      Greg

Comment

One of two things is gonna happen

1. Palin gets eaten alive

2. Biden gets his butt handed to him.

I'm almost leaning to #2...just 'cause I got this very weird feeling the Couric interview was a set up. Palin was sandbagging and playing the air head in order to sandbag and get Biden to feeling he doesn't have to put he best game forward.
                        Uhhh yeah. And while you're in this wishful thinking mode, why don't you also explain how UH getting thrashed on the road by Florida and Oregon St. is Coach McMackin's way of getting Boise St. and Fresno St. to be overconfident and lazy when they play against us.
                        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Meh...I did allow for bubbles.

Comment

Meh...I did allow for bubbles.
                            I think Frankie’s Market is making the point that we’ve seen enough of Sarah Palin to prove without a shadow of a doubt that she’s in over her head.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                            USA TODAY, page 2A
                            11 March 1993

Comment

Or do they have her in cram courses because all that's up in the bubble-doo...is bubbles.
                              You betcha!

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                                I think Frankie’s Market is making the point that we’ve seen enough of Sarah Palin to prove without a shadow of a doubt that she’s in over her head.

*nods*

Bubbles

I said it was a weird thought. I got to thinking with all the gambeling referances how would one place a ringer or otherwise bluff. The only thing I could think of was the way a player can sandbag in order to throw out the skills later in the game when the stakes were higher.
                                Last edited by Peshkwe; September 27, 2008, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X