X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Sarah Palin - pros & cons

Palin babbles during interviews.

But her approval rating beats Bush's. Which means there's a lot of people out there still enamored of her.

No doubt she's considering the potential opportunity of taking Craig Steven's seat.

Comment

Since she's the governor, I would imagine it would be awkward for her to appoint herself to take Ted Stevens' seat.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        HT hasn't had such a fun subject since...since...ummm...<fill in the blank, ol' timers!>.
        For the old timers, how about "since Tiny Tadani"?
        For the newcomers, "since Glen Campbell."

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

• Re: Sarah Palin - pros &amp; cons

Sarah Palin did not say that she thought that Africa was a country.
          This was part of an elaborate blog hoax that was picked up by mainstream news, notabley MSNBC. They admitted today that they should have checked out their sources better. The new york times has also printed a retraction of sorts, more of an explanation really on how everyone was duped by a blogger that has run several hoaxes that make the republicans look foolish, inept and corrupt.
          It is odd how this doesnt come out until after an important election, the media are so ready for stories of this nature but they dont check it out first and it gets spread evrywhere, including hawaiithreads as gospel. i think we all need to take everything we hear with a grain of salt before we make ourselves look foolish along with the media.
          the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by escondido100 View Post
            It is odd how this doesnt come out until after an important election, the media are so ready for stories of this nature but they dont check it out first and it gets spread evrywhere, including hawaiithreads as gospel.
            The hoax itself came out after the election.

Comment

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/11...ends/comments/

Huh. I guess there is some controversy over whether she actually could appoint a replacement for Ted Stevens.

Comment

It is odd how this doesnt come out until after an important election
                So are you saying that IF this so-called 'hoax' hadn't happened, McCain/Palin would have won? That they lost the election based on this one item alone?!?
                Puhleeze.
                The Africa thing had absolutely zero affect on the outcome.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

no i am not saying that this hoax caused a loss, that would be ridiculous, i am saying how easily and quickly some people are taken in when it fits their needs or views. trust but verify.
                  the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

no i am not saying that this hoax caused a loss, that would be ridiculous, i am saying how easily and quickly some people are taken in when it fits their needs or views. trust but verify.

True enough, such as on the other side, the whole thing about Obama faking his birth certificate.

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
                      Palin babbles during interviews.
                      That she does.

But her approval rating beats Bush's.
                      Considering how low Bush's ratings are, that is faint praise.

Which means there's a lot of people out there still enamored of her.
                      Some people are very enamored of Rush Limbaugh. Doesn't mean he has a realistic shot at getting elected President.

No doubt she's considering the potential opportunity of taking Craig Steven's seat.
                      You mean Ted Stevens. And aren't we getting ahead of ourselves here, seeing as how Mark Begich is (at last count) ahead of Stevens in the Senate race. And if the final results are close enough, the loser will likely demand a recount. The race is far from decided, and until we know who the winner is, there is no decision for Palin to make.
                      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

This was part of an elaborate blog hoax that was picked up by mainstream news, notabley MSNBC.
                        Actually it was Faux News that first reported the Africa story.

It is odd how this doesnt come out until after an important election, the media are so ready for stories of this nature but they dont check it out first and it gets spread evrywhere,
                        That is incorrect. The story was leaked to a Faux News reporter by a McPalin Campaign insider before the election. Faux News decided to sit on the story until after the election so that it would not hurt McPalin at the polls. It didn't matter becasuse Palin had already convinced most people that she was an idiot without the aid of bogus stories.

i think we all need to take everything we hear with a grain of salt before we make ourselves look foolish along with the media.
                        That's why I don't generally listen to Faux News and Lush Rimbarf. The media is meant to entertain people not inform them (paraphrasing William Randolf Hearst)....same with HT.
                        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Musings of Dick Cavett

November 14, 2008, 10:00 pm

The Wild Wordsmith of Wasilla

Electronic devices dislike me. There is never a day when something isn’t ailing. Three out of these five implements — answering machine, fax machine, printer, phone and electric can-opener — all dropped dead on me in the past few days.

Now something has gone wrong with all three television sets. They will only get Sarah Palin.

I can play a kind of Alaskan roulette. Any random channel clicked on by the remote brings up that eager face, with its continuing assaults on the English Lang.

There she is with Larry and Matt and just about everyone else but Dr. Phil (so far). If she is not yet on “Judge Judy,” I suspect it can’t be for lack of trying.

What have we done to deserve this, this media blitz that the astute Andrea Mitchell has labeled “The Victory Tour”?

I suppose it will be recorded as among political history’s ironies that Palin was brought in to help John McCain. I can’t blame feminists who might draw amusement from the fact that a woman managed to both cripple the male she was supposed to help while gleaning an almost Elvis-sized following for herself. Mac loses, Sarah wins big-time was the gist of headlines.

I feel a little sorry for John. He aimed low and missed.

What will ambitious politicos learn from this? That frayed syntax, bungled grammar and run-on sentences that ramble on long after thought has given out completely are a candidate’s valuable traits?

And how much more of all that lies in our future if God points her to those open-a-crack doors she refers to? The ones she resolves to splinter and bulldoze her way through upon glimpsing the opportunities, revealed from on high.

What on earth are our underpaid teachers, laboring in the vineyards of education, supposed to tell students about the following sentence, committed by the serial syntax-killer from Wasilla High and gleaned by my colleague Maureen Dowd for preservation for those who ask, “How was it she talked?”

My concern has been the atrocities there in Darfur and the relevance to me with that issue as we spoke about Africa and some of the countries there that were kind of the people succumbing to the dictators and the corruption of some collapsed governments on the continent, the relevance was Alaska’s investment in Darfur with some of our permanent fund dollars.

And, she concluded, “never, ever did I talk about, well, gee, is it a country or a continent, I just don’t know about this issue.”

It’s admittedly a rare gift to produce a paragraph in which whole clumps of words could be removed without noticeably affecting the sense, if any.

(A cynic might wonder if Wasilla High School’s English and geography departments are draped in black.)

(How many contradictory and lying answers about The Empress’s New Clothes have you collected? I’ve got, so far, only four. Your additional ones welcome.)

Matt Lauer asked her about her daughter’s pregnancy and what went into the decision about how to handle it. Her “answer” did not contain the words “daughter,” “pregnancy,” “what to do about it” or, in fact, any two consecutive words related to Lauer’s query.

I saw this as a brief clip, so I don’t know whether Lauer recovered sufficiently to follow up, or could only sit there, covered in disbelief. If it happens again, Matt, I bequeath you what I heard myself say once to an elusive guest who stiffed me that way: “Were you able to hear any part of my question?”

At the risk of offending, well, you, for example, I worry about just what it is her hollering fans see in her that makes her the ideal choice to deal with the world’s problems: collapsed economies, global warming, hostile enemies and our current and far-flung twin battlefronts, either of which may prove to be the world’s second “30 Years’ War.”

Has there been a poll to see if the Sarah-ites are numbered among that baffling 26 percent of our population who, despite everything, still maintain that President George has done a heckuva job?

A woman in one of Palin’s crowds praised her for being “a mom like me … who thinks the way I do” and added, for ill measure, “That’s what I want in the White House.” Fine, but in what capacity?

Do this lady’s like-minded folk wonder how, say, Jefferson, Lincoln, the Roosevelts, et al (add your own favorites) managed so well without being soccer moms? Without being whizzes in the kitchen, whipping up moose soufflés? Without executing and wounding wolves from the air and without promoting that sad, threadbare hoax — sexual abstinence — as the answer to the sizzling loins of the young?

(In passing, has anyone observed that hunting animals with high-powered guns could only be defined as sport if both sides were equally armed?)

I’d love to hear what you think has caused such an alarming number of our fellow Americans to fall into the Sarah Swoon.

Could the willingness to crown one who seems to have no first language have anything to do with the oft-lamented fact that we seem to be alone among nations in having made the word “intellectual” an insult? (And yet…and yet…we did elect Obama. Surely not despite his brains.)

Sorry about all of the foregoing, as if you didn’t get enough of the lady every day in every medium but smoke signals.

I do not wish her ill. But I also don’t wish us ill. I hope she continues to find happiness in Alaska.

May I confess that upon first seeing her, I liked her looks? With the sound off, she presents a not uncomely frontal appearance.

But now, as the Brits say, “I’ll be glad to see the back of her.”
                          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

*looks up at matapule*

podagee?
                            stay forever young

Comment

Originally posted by Seeking Penance View Post
                              podagee?
                              Cavett? Nah - he doesn't wave his hands around when he speaks.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                                For the old timers, how about "since Tiny Tadani"?
                                I did an archive search on Tiny Tadani. There were some interesting stuff with familiar posters' names before I was born on HT. I'll saved it for later to read.

Comment

Working...
                                X