Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Our Military is Like?

Originally posted by matapule View Post
    And how would you feel about defying an order from a commanding officer that you felt was unjust or illegal?
    You mean would I get a pouty look on my face, or are you asking what I would do?

I already have Salmoned, TimKona, and TuNnl on my "Ignore Poster" list, and I'm not sure where these one-at-a-time questions are headed. But to answer this one, I'd do what I was trained to do (aside from the pouty face). I'd make sure that I understood what it was that I was being asked to do, and if it was unjust/illegal then I'd do my best to offer just/legal alternatives. And if none of those alternatives were judged acceptable then I'd explain why I was regrettably turning down the original order, which would usually result in my being relieved of that particular duty... and possibly of my billet. Sometimes the ensuing discussion would help me clear up my muddy thinking (along with a program to requalify for that duty), other times the chain of command would come up with a different way of doing business. Of course the person giving the order was usually aware of all those ramifications, just as I was, and we usually worked out an acceptable compromise.

Once in a great while I'd get away with not hearing the order. But that only works if your plan succeeds before someone officially notices that you're deaf.

Sometimes I knew that I should've called the boss and I didn't. Sometimes I'd get told "You shoulda called the boss", and other times no one would say anything... which is different from not noticing.

Of course the UCMJ is always there to handle the issues, although having to resort to that is frequently an admission of failure on both sides of the chain of command.

In the 1980s, when the submarine force used to regularly practice launching nuclear weapons, even with a valid & authenticated launch order only two-thirds of the launch crews would comply with the directed action. On a later tour I had a CO with whom we department heads would regularly squabble like cats & dogs (behind closed doors). So your question isn't exactly unfamiliar territory.

If you care to share a little more explanation about the questions you're asking then I'd be happy to engage in a discussion. But this feels more like a deposition.
    Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
    Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
    We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
    Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Wait...what?

There's a hella lot of waste in the military. Waste has been going on for ages, sometimes there's a purpose for it sometimes there's not. Extra stuff is written off and sent to dumps to be later picked up by the folks who wrote it off since the 70's.

Ask any house mouse.

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
        I'd do what I was trained to do (aside from the pouty face). I'd make sure that I understood what it was that I was being asked to do, and if it was unjust/illegal then I'd do my best to offer just/legal alternatives. And if none of those alternatives were judged acceptable then I'd explain why I was regrettably turning down the original order, which would usually result in my being relieved of that particular duty... and possibly of my billet
        I think that is an honorable code of ethics. The reason I asked is I've always wondered what I would do.....but I already knew that answer.

Mahalo
        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by Nords View Post
          I already have Salmoned, TimKona, and TuNnl on my "Ignore Poster" list
          Wow, what a dubious distinction. Someone tell me what I have in common with the other two. Please be gentle.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
          USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by Peshkwe View Post
            There's a hella lot of waste in the military.
            I worked for a company a few years ago that manufactured patrol boats for Homeland Security for both the Coast Guard and Navy by military contract. We were the largest military boat builder in the US based on number of units delivered. Our company was guaranteed a fixed net profit margin on every project regardless of cost over runs, design changes, or whatever. In fact the more over runs, the more profit. This is not a good business model for the American taxpayer, in my opinion.
            Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

No it's not...and it goes much deeper than the general contracts. It's the nickle and dime stuff that really screws with the tax payer.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                Each generation of my family also served in the military,
                Just wondering - does that include you, personally? Since you are an expert on the military...

Comment

For what it's worth: A military force isn't in itself good or bad.

It's how the leadership wields that power which defines the nature of that force. Just like a baseball bat, a knife or a rifle. You can use it to do something good or you can corrupt it to perform some of the most dastardly acts imaginable.

So if you want a good military, elect good leaders.

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992 View Post
                    It's how the leadership wields that power which defines the nature of that force. Just like a baseball bat, a knife or a rifle. You can use it to do something good or you can corrupt it to perform some of the most dastardly acts imaginable.

So if you want a good military, elect good leaders.
                    As I detailed earlier, it’s not that simple. I wish it was. I’m an optimist in that we can still try to change things. But you are only fooling yourself if you believe that our elected leaders are really in charge.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                    USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                      As I detailed earlier, it’s not that simple. I wish it was. I’m an optimist in that we can still try to change things. But you are only fooling yourself if you believe that our elected leaders are really in charge.
                      Nothing is that simple. But the fundamental principle is.

Hitler had his own twisted intentions and had a military force to help him achieve his goals. Hitler wanted to conquer Europe and perhaps more. And he wanted to create a new society through the liberal application of genocide.

There were people within his organization who secretly tried to stop him, but that plot failed.

Churchill and Roosevelt also had military forces to help them achieve their goal: Stop Hitler.

Each were guided by their own personal principles and the historical result is clearly seen.

To have a successful business, effective government or a good military, you need to start off with a good leader. It's not a cure-all. But it's a necessary start.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                        Our military is like a baby that never grows up. No matter how much you feed it, or how proud it makes you feel, it never advances beyond waving it’s arms & legs, producing varying amounts of noise and copious amounts of waste.
                        Sometimes people see things in other people or things that are qualities/attributes/descriptors that they themself possess. Sometimes the external entity actually possesses the quality or attribute, but frequently it doesn't. One thing is certain, the quality is part of the individual who judges the quality to exist in another. It's too uncomfortable for them to have direct awareness that the quality they revile is actually a part of their own psychological make-up. Psych-speak refers to these as "disowned and devalued parts of the self". Carl Jung labeled this the "Shadow", due to its being pushed "behind" us, outside of our awareness.

Every person, culture, sub-culture, and social-group is socialized to deny and reject certain qualities. As such, the individual pushes these personal energies and characteristics out of their awareness, denying their existance within. Psychologically juggling them out of awareness does not cause them to cease to exist. They continue to press for expression. Increasing insight into the self and acceptance of these devalued intrapsychic energies reflects personal growth and advanced personality development. Acknowledgement and acceptance of the self, the whole self, allows the person to begin to find socially acceptable, non-destructive outlets for these denied energies. Energies that previously operated and found expression via avenues outside of the individual's conscious awareness. Intrapsychic processes that operate outside of a persons awareness often find expression in undesirable ways, outside of the person's control. Most, if not all, people have had the experience of saying to themself "Why did I do that?", with regret.

No-one is immune to this phenomena. It is entirely part of being human. The message is to accept and love yourself, imperfections, dark corners, and all. This alone won't solve all of a person's problems or the problems of the world, but to the extent that people everywhere are able to do this there would almost certainly be a reciprocal reduction in the need for Armies to exist at all.

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                          You are too young to remember.
                          That's good, because I feel 39 years too old.
                          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                            Wow, what a dubious distinction. Someone tell me what I have in common with the other two. Please be gentle.
                            Do you own a weed whacker?
                            “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                            http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                              Just wondering - does that include you, personally? Since you are an expert on the military...
                              Yes, I wouldn't utterly disparage without intimate, broad based familiarity. I have served, I've done my duty, I know firsthand, and yes, I was a part of the waste (and continue to be as long as I pay taxes that support the military). I wouldn't claim to be a military expert, it doesn't require a military expert to make an observation on the military. In fact, a military expert is quite likely to have a rather biased perspective on our military (pro or con).
                              Last edited by salmoned; September 12, 2008, 09:34 AM.
                              May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Working...
                              X