Ted Stevens Found Guilty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ted Stevens Found Guilty

Funny how conservatives, once they realized that they would not retain the Presidency in this election, started arguing that it would be unhealthy for the nation to have one party in control of both the Executive and Legislative branches of government --- yet they had no problem with it when it was the GOP in charge in 2002.
    Originally posted by Stephen View Post
    Frankie's - would you really like a filibuster proof Senate?
    I know I'd like to give it a shot --- might avoid some of the partisan-based gridlock we've had for too damn long.

Comment

Originally posted by Seeking Penance View Post
      http://www.stevens.senate.gov/public...vens.Biography

he's a UCLA alumni - well that explains it
      What would Joe the Bruin do?

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
        Frankie's - would you really like a filibuster proof Senate? If that becomes the case, in two years, I would bet that the House and Senate will swing back to the right. As a country, we have a funny habit of shifting power back and forth. In my opinion, the shift is a good thing - it keeps us from going to far to the right and too far to the left.
        I think back to the days when Democrats held 60+ seats in the Senate from 1963-68 and all of the landmark legislation that got passed during that particular period of time. The Civil Rights Act of 1964. The Voting Rights Act and Medicare being passed in 1965. The Fair Housing Act of 1968.

But no. You would have found it preferable for all that legislation to be held up and delayed by gridlock and partisan stall tactics?

Whatever floats your boat,.....
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Bringing things back on topic, it was interesting to hear what Ted Stevens had to say in his farewell address to U.S. Senate colleagues this weekend. Specifically, “My motto has been here: to hell with politics. Just do what’s right for Alaska.”

If he truly felt that way, he must hate the Alaska GOP. Because the right thing for a politician charged with seven felony counts is to step down in time for the party to appoint a replacement candidate. He didn’t do that, and the resulting conviction virtually guaranteed his defeat.

Then again, maybe the right thing for Alaska in an Obama Administration was a Democrat, Dan Inouye’s unwavering support notwithstanding. Go figure.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
          USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
          X