X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Obama Administration Takes Shape

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
    Oh pleez. Daschle didn’t have to be in office because the former U.S. Senate majority leader installed his chief of staff Pete Rouse, a 30-year veteran on the Hill, as then-U.S. Senator Barack Obama’s chief. In a sense, Obama was the continuation of Daschle’s uninterrupted legacy.
    If that’s your final answer, you lose.
    I think that’s a very naïve position you are taking, that shows very little understanding of how Washington works. But, whatever. Agree to disagree. Here’s some entertainment for ya.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

I think that’s a very naïve position you are taking, that shows very little understanding of how Washington works. But, whatever.
      Whatever, indeed.

You declare me "naïve." Whatever. Still doesn't change the fact that Daschle was voted out of the Senate in '04.

How many exchanges do we have to go through on this thread before that fact gets through to you? Silly rabbit!

Agree to disagree.
      There's nothing to disagree about. Daschle was defeated by John Thune in 2004. You want to "disagree" with that fact, go ahead. You're out on your own if you want to have a political discussion about events going on in your alternate universe.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

There's nothing to disagree about.
        I can see you’re intent on winning an argument that’s not even in play, so I’ll just spell it out to you and retire the side, before you veer off a cliff.

The disagreement lies in your absurd implication that I was saying Daschle was currently in office. I wasn’t. You brazenly assumed I implied it with my statement which is your own ignorant interpretation. The point of recognizing the fact that Howard Dean isn’t even in office is that a former governor (at least the one we’re talking about) of a small homogeneous state has virtually no political influence in the U.S. Senate whatsoever. Meanwhile, a former U.S. Senate Majority leader always has sway with his colleagues on the Hill, particularly when his most valuable asset — his veteran chief of staff, known to many in D.C. as “the 101st senator” delayed retirement to find fresh wings as then-freshman U.S. Sen. Barack Obama (now President of the United States)’s chief of staff (now senior adviser). Dean is a polliwog in a world of sharks when it comes to national politics, particularly as it applies to the U.S. Congress. His most memorable act on the national scene is the Dean Scream.™ And, the last I heard, his conflict management resulted in a lawsuit from a former gay staffer who was fired after the staffer’s partner accused Dean of not doing enough for gay people. You can’t force change. Campaign fundraiser does not equate to negotiator and bridge-builder. Gladhanding and politics as usual happens, and will happen with or without a player at HHS. Hopefully, you use your finesse to chip away at it while accomplishing your goal. Clearly, that is not what Dean is good at, and time is of the essence.
        Last edited by TuNnL; February 6, 2009, 10:39 AM. Reason: accuracy

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

The disagreement lies in your absurd implication that I was saying Daschle was currently in office. I wasn’t. You brazenly assumed I implied it with my statement which is your own ignorant interpretation. The point of recognizing the fact that Howard Dean isn’t even in office is that a former governor (at least the one we’re talking about) of a small homogeneous state has virtually no political influence in the U.S. Senate whatsoever. Meanwhile, a former U.S. Senate Majority leader always has sway with his colleagues on the Hill, particularly when his most valuable asset — his veteran chief of staff, known to many in D.C. as “the 101st senator” delayed retirement to find fresh wings as then-freshman U.S. Sen. Barack Obama (now President of the United States)’s chief of staff (now senior adviser).
          Using your absurd reasoning, then one could say that if Leon Panetta is confirmed as the new CIA director, then Bill Clinton is somehow "still in office." Why? Just because Panetta was Clinton's former Chief-of Staff? LOL!!!!

And wait!!! Robert Gates is still the Secretary of Defense. In your mind, that means George Bush must still be in office, right?

What's really absurd is equating Daschle's former chief-of-staff hanging around Obama to Daschle actually being in office. The two are simply not the same, Tunnl. Get over it.

If Daschle was "still in office," that means he could cast votes in the Senate. Do you have evidence to show that Daschle was controlling Obama's voting as a Senator?

Dazzle us with your "insider" information, Deep Throat.
          Last edited by Frankie's Market; February 6, 2009, 12:10 PM.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Do you have evidence to show that Daschle was controlling Obama's voting as a Senator?
            Obama’s voting record speaks for itself. For starters, try researching why Obama voted against John Roberts.

But getting back on topic, the floating of Howard Dean’s name may be irrelevant, now that a senior Obama official is actually putting forth a “top candidate.”

WASHINGTON (AP) — Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius was near the top of President Barack Obama’s list of candidates to head the Health and Human Services Department, a senior administration official said Saturday.
            Interesting choice. Kudos to the writer for pointing out Sebelius’ early support for Obama’s campaign, and her tireless work to elect him before it was clear he would defeat Clinton.

USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

And, as I referenced earlier, President Obama has (now officially) selected Gov. Kathleen Sebelius to be the new head of HHS. Congrats, and good luck.

Obama to tap Kan. Gov. Sebelius as health chief

WASHINGTON — Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius, the president's choice for health and human services secretary, will face a host of challenges in her new job, including a health system in disarray and a nation's food supply at risk.

USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

Indeed you did - points to you for that call, TuNnL.

Here in Washington State, we've sent him three folks already - King Co. Executive Ron Sims (Deputy Sec'y. of H.U.D.), Seattle Police Chief Gil Kerlikowske ("Drug Czar") and former Governor Gary Locke (Sec'y. of Commerce).

Comment

And, as I referenced earlier, President Obama has (now officially) selected Gov. Kathleen Sebelius to be the new head of HHS. Congrats,
                  Congrats? Aren't we being a bit premature here? Like any other prospective cabinet member, Gov. Sebelius will have to first be confirmed by the Senate. At this point, there doesn't appear to be any major obstacle blocking her nomination. But you never know for sure. Already, some pro-life activists are gearing up to vigorously campaign against her selection. If their howls of protest gets any traction with the Senate GOP delegation, there is the possibility of the nomination being derailed by a filibuster, even if Kansas senators Sam Brownback and Pat Roberts (both Republicans) support Sebelius.

Comment

And, as I referenced earlier, President Obama has (now officially) selected Gov. Kathleen Sebelius to be the new head of HHS. Congrats, and good luck.
                    Congrats? Aren't we being a bit premature here? Like any other prospective cabinet member, Gov. Sebelius will have to first be confirmed by the Senate.
                    My congrats was for being selected as the nominee, the good luck for her trevails through the confirmation process. Her recent compromise with the GOP to end a budget impasse in her state, should help with Republicans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

In the late summer of last year, then-candidate Barack Obama would certainly have been more honest if he had made this speech. (And I believe he was fully aware of many if not most of these choices at that time.)

If he had done so, I guess he might not have made it into the White House.

Oh, well, hindsight's 20/20, right?

Hey, could you pass me some earmarks? Mine are gettin' stale.

Comment

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
                        In the late summer of last year, then-candidate Barack Obama would certainly have been more honest if he had made this speech. (And I believe he was fully aware of many if not most of these choices at that time.)

If he had done so, I guess he might not have made it into the White House.

Oh, well, hindsight's 20/20, right?
                        You’re preaching to the choir, cyleet99. Most of the “regulars” on this board have already expressed disappointment in Obama and the choices he has made or supported by default. What my hope is, the smarter ones will begin to see the correlation between them and the greater interests controlling Obama’s agenda from behind the scenes. Patrick Wood gives us an update on Obama’s appointments that further confirm the influence of the globalist elite.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

Thanks, Tunnl. I know, but after giving the "space" for the Obamaists to have their election, I feel the need for them to eat it, too.

It's a shame the blindness will exact a painful price.

Gotta go do the taxes; my share in this debacle.

Comment

then-candidate Barack Obama would certainly have been more honest if he had made this speech.
                            Obama would never have made that "speech" because he doesn't believe any of those things. The "speech" was written by a conservative columnist who wishes he could pin those ideas on Obama.

But even if Obama had made that "speech" he would have still been elected considering who he was running against.

It's a shame the blindness will exact a painful price.
                            A little premature aren't you? The painfull price is being exacted for supporting Bush for two terms.

Gotta go do the taxes; my share in this debacle.
                            And who caused that debacle? Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, and Bush II. So enjoy the seeds that the voting public has sown.

I am not happy with many of the appointments and decisions that Obama has made. But it is too early to classify him as a failure. Unlike some pundits, I hope Obama succeeds.
                            Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I feel the need for them to eat it, too.
                              Don't worry, we've been eating it big time for at least the last 8 years. With Obama, we know that he has America's well being in mind and not just continually ramming BS down our thoats with absolutely no concern for us.
                              There is no wiggle room left, if Obama fails like Rush and his cheerleader Cheney wish, we all loose.
                              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                                With Obama, we know that he has America's well being in mind and not just continually ramming BS down our thoats with absolutely no concern for us.
                                How do “we” know that, Ron? I judge a president by his actions, not by his rhetoric. Obama took every popular position (including many I espouse) during the campaign, and made many exciting promises. He has already broken some of those promises, though, and while I agree with matapule that more time is needed before we come to any snap judgements, I would surely like to hear you justify (if you can) your position that Obama is sincerely working for the welfare of working-class America, and not just saying one thing and doing another. If your answer is simply because he says he’s doing it, don’t bother to reply.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                                11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                                X