Obama - broken promises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Obama - broken promises

What IS a windfall profit? Is it making more money than you anticipated? Is it earning above a certain rate of return on investment? If you can define the term and apply it to all legal entities (individuals and companies) equally, I'm all for it. I personally don't know what that term means and believe applying it to oil companies only (or drug companies only, or mining companies only, or food companies only, or CEOs only, or athletes only, etc.) is unfair, unreasonable and should be unlawful. The message a windfall profits tax would sent to any sphere of economic activity is 'stop investing here'.
    Last edited by salmoned; December 5, 2008, 01:41 PM.
    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
      What IS a windfall profit? Is it making more money than you anticipated? Is it earning above a certain rate of return on investment? If you can define the term and apply it to all legal entities (individuals and companies) equally, I'm all for it.
      Salmoned, I am not going to do your research for you. When I had research assistants, I paid them when I wanted them to do my research. There is a lot of information about windfall profits on the Internet. Don't be lazy, educate yourself.

I personally don't know what that term means and believe applying it to oil companies only (or drug companies only, or mining companies only, or food companies only, or CEOs only, or athletes only, etc.) is unfair, unreasonable and should be unlawful. The message a windfall profits tax would sent to any sphere of economic activity is 'stop investing here'.
      It is obvious you don't know what a windfall profit is. You are oversimplifying the concept in your overencompassing inclusions. If you understood the concept, you would not be making the statement above. So perform your due diligence and then come back with a better understanding and we can discuss it. A topic cannot be discussed intelligently if one party, especially by their own admission, has no understanding of the topic.

An educated mind is not a can to be stuffed. An educated mind is a candle to be lit. Always be curious. Always to do more investigation even when you are convinced you are completely right.
      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
        Salmoned, I am not going to do your research for you. When I had research assistants, I paid them when I wanted them to do my research. There is a lot of information about windfall profits on the Internet. Don't be lazy, educate yourself.
        Whoa. I'd remember this moment when you ask us a question in the future.

Talk about a longer version of saying "RTFM." (Yes, emphasis on the "F.")

Anyhoo...

Wiki can sometimes be your friend: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windfall_profits_tax

Also, the conservative FOX version: http://foxforum.blogs.foxnews.com/20...rofits-tax-is/

Personally, I think it's unfair to target just one industry. Yep, I'm looking at Apple Computer Corp. and Microsoft. (Yes, emphasis on "Apple" and their price control.)

If there is to be a windfall profit tax, then it should directly go to funding alternative energy initiative to wean off of oil. I've yet to hear Obama's agenda on alternative energy strategy that not only sustain ourselves but offer it to the rest of the world for a price to those wanting to become oil-independent.

Granted, he hasn't officially taken office, so I'll take a wait-n-see stance.
        Last edited by Random; December 5, 2008, 07:08 PM.
        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I'm just glad its not angry man McCain running. So far Obama has kept most of it in line and continue to do so very quickly.
          Follow Me

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
            Reagan - ending the Cold War via military spending
            Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
            The Cold War is over? With Russia and China? Not from the news I read...
            Should it even be considered a credit to Reagan? It was the Eastern European communist bloc of nations that bankrupted their own economies. And the heavy increase in US defense spending (anyone remember the "Star Wars" missle defense system?) diverted billions of dollars that could have been otherwise spent on upgrading our educational system and infrastructure during the 1980s. So now, we're paying for it in decrepit and outdated schools as well as decaying roads, bridges, and sewers.

Biggest historical myth is anyone saying the US won the cold war. Fact is, both sides lost the cold war. And as Leo astutely points out, it's not over yet.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
              It was the Eastern European communist bloc of nations that bankrupted their own economies.
              Exactly, FM. And do you think the US could have learned anything from that vis-a-vis the Iraq invasion? Noooooooooo!

And the heavy increase in US defense spending (anyone remember the "Star Wars" missle defense system?) diverted billions of dollars that could have been otherwise spent on upgrading our educational system and infrastructure during the 1980s. So now, we're paying for it in decrepit and outdated schools as well as decaying roads, bridges, and sewers.
              Amen.

Biggest historical myth is anyone saying the US won the cold war. Fact is, both sides lost the cold war. And as Leo astutely points out, it's not over yet.
              More truth than poetry in what you say.
              Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                Should it even be considered a credit to Reagan?
                The guy said some words, and Russia imploded, which it was about to do anyway.
                It happened on his watch, and that's good enuf for some.
                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Working...
                X