What is terrorism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is terrorism?

Today, a man unhappy with the IRS, crashed his private plane into a Federal building.

This act was described on the news as a criminal offense, not an act of terrorism. Uaifi and I thought that was odd since it appeared to be an act of domestic terrorism against the Federal Governement to us.

Was this an act of domestic terrorism? What is terrorism? There is a lot of wisdom on this forum. What say you HT ohana?
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Re: What is terrorism?

Was he a teabagger too?

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
      Was this an act of domestic terrorism?
      What is terrorism?
      In my opinion... I think of it as domestic terrorism.
      Maybe the authorities are playing calling it that down since the act doesn't seem to be connected to any known Terrorist groups, within or outside the U.S.ofA.? Don't really know... though.
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Maybe he knew this was coming:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/A-guid....html?x=0&.v=2

$8.2 billion is being spent to audit you. So now that the government put itself in debt some more, it behooves them to find $8.2 billion worth of honest taxpayer mistakes.

Have fun in April.

Comment

Was this an act of domestic terrorism? What is terrorism? There is a lot of wisdom on this forum. What say you HT ohana?
          It could be viewed as an act of domestic terrorism. But almost everyone view IRS as a negative component of our government structure. Granted, tax is what pays for our public schools, road maintenance, social services, and whatnot. But I know of no one enthusiastic or excited about paying taxes. IOW, almost no one would sympathize with the IRS.
          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I would prefer this not be a rant about the IRS. That is not the point of the question.

Say the guy flew his plane into a sports stadium full of people because he didn't like the opposing team. Would that be an act of domestic terrorism?

What is terrorism? I have a definition germinating in my head, but still not confident that it would meet the test.
            Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I would prefer this not be a rant about the IRS. That is not the point of the question.

Say the guy flew his plane into a sports stadium full of people because he didn't like the opposing team. Would that be an act of domestic terrorism?

What is terrorism? I have a definition germinating in my head, but still not confident that it would meet the test.
              I guess soccer hooligans can be terrorists too, because I haven't seen other sports go and kill their player for scoring against themselves on accident.

I think the missing keyword in this formulated definition is "coercion." This was more like a revenge plot. He wasn't trying to change the IRS with any force or fear; he was just getting back at them for all the wrongdoings he felt he suffered through.

The best definition of terrorism existed on September 10th. After September 11th, terrorism's definition has been stretched in many ways.

Comment

I agree with bjd392 that "coercion" must be the key part.
                Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Terrorism is what the Federal Reserve and the IRS has been practicing from 1913.

Comment

Apparently his motivation was personal, not political. That was the difference.
                    Burl Burlingame
                    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                    honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Working...
                    X