The 2010 Elections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 2010 Elections

I had to laugh when Boner said the government was back in the hands of the American people. Oh wait, corporations are people now. Again the middle class has voted itself into poverty. Why care, if they don't? We are voting for pay scales and job safety regulations like China, environmental protection like Bhopal, and education like a 1950's banana republic. Even more tax breaks for the wealthy elite while everything else disintegrates. Congratulations to the supreme court again.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
      I had to laugh when Boner said
      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
        ...Odd, the Dems had a filibuster proof 60 vote majority in the Senate plus big control of the House, but appeared to be timid and or incompetent. ....
        That's probably why the pendulum swung more to the right this time. In today's short attention span world, people are tired of waiting for a turnaround and voted for better or for worse with more republicans in the office.

For the record, I am not a fan of either party so I'm not trying to endorse one over the other.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
          That's probably why the pendulum swung more to the right this time.
          I agree, the electorate gave the Demos the mandate they wanted in 2008 and the Demos could not produce on what was most important to the electorate - jobs creation, finance reform, and the housing market. Yes, they made some progress in those areas but it wasn't enough. Health care reform is just not that important to people at this time. Obama should have been much more bold in his bailout plan, throwing a lot more money into sectors that create jobs. It was a golden opportunity to create a whole new industry in "green technology." That opportunity has been squandered.

It was time for a shakeup, but what we got is worse than what we had!

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

It was a battle between re-electing those who got us into this economic mess, or those who couldn't bail us out of it fast enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
              It was a battle between re-electing those who got us into this economic mess, or those who couldn't bail us out of it fast enough.
              Neither those who got us into the mess, nor the ones who couldn't bail us out were re-elected.

Yes, a decline occurred in 2006ish. Yes it got worse... later.
              By early 2007 when George W. Bush and his 233 Democratic Representatives, 202 Republican Representatives, and 49/49/2 Senators is the start to the mess. It's been mentioned enough times that the 110th was the Democratic majority. 111th sealed the deal, coming very close to Democratic supermajority. The Fed (as of Oct 14, 2010) made the dates of the recession Dec 07 - Jun 09. Most of the graphic displays of concern are after 2006. The President will always be the scapegoat, not matter how bad Congress or the country is. But it sure makes me laugh every time I hear the "car and ditch" story.

I'm over it. Others still aren't.

Comment

Originally posted by bjd392 View Post
                Neither those who got us into the mess, nor the ones who couldn't bail us out were re-elected.
                Among the Republican "freshman" Senators will be several political veterans and insiders.

Rob Portman in Ohio was a former congressman and budget director under George W. Bush.

Mel Blunt in Missouri has been in Congress for 14 years.

Dan Coats in Indiana was a congressman and senator, before becoming a successful DC lobbyist.

Mark Kirk in Illinois was a GOP moderate, who was one of eight Republican House members to vote for energy/climate legislation.

Comment

Originally posted by bjd392 View Post
                  there's been a sine-wave shift, with a few exceptions here and there.
                  See? I told you guys that everything is physics even politics!

Comment

Everyone I voted for won.
                    Unfortunately I was in the wrong district to vote for Lynn.
                    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                    ~ ~
                    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Not everyone I voted for won, of course, but I find it incredulous that all the measures passed, even the stupid ones.
                      May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Today, Obama is looking and sounding like a defeated man. He is talking about compromise with those who want to impeach him. He is suggesting that he is willing to talk about emasculating the health care bill, extending tax cuts to the wealthy, and everything is on the table. Disgusting! I want a fighter in my corner, not an appeaser. He has the power to double down on his campaign promises, not give up. I'm pi$$ed.

It wouldn't surprise me if Obama announces within the next year that he won't seek re-election. He is such a wimp. Time to get on the Howard Dean bandwagon.

Comment

He's handing over his lunch money to the blowhard bully even when he has so much in his favor, instead he should be kicking asses right now, but he hasn't communicated his achievements worth squat and has let the cons easily rule the minds of the ignorant public. He's lost the argument that was all his, but it's nothing new with the Dems, they snatch defeat from the jaws of victory every time and are their own worst enemy.

He hasn't done a friggin thing I'd hoped for or done anything the way I would have, and yet he's still managed a hell of a lot of positives in a year and a half, against all odds, while scum republicans try daily to destroy him... and he still has a good chance to secure a 2nd term simply because the other side has got NOTHING to offer.

Boener is banking on one thing to ride high as speaker, his 'focus' on gutting the healthcare bill, which is going to blow up in their stupid faces when the bill's many benefits become further realized under harsh legal scrutiny. The bums won this battle on the famous ignorance of swing voters, bottom dwellers of the voting pool.
                          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Rove, addressing oil men, environment is dead as an issue. Congress will investigate the Fraud of global warming. Great. Fracking will procede, poisoning the voters water. New York's water will be poisoned, Texas looks at that as a good thing. Banks will be cleared to "invest" in Wall St. fictions. Tax cuts for billionaires will cut the deficit. It ought to be a very entertaining show. Its what the people voted for. Enjoy your poisoned water idiots.

Comment

Yup, cut spending, cut taxes, create jobs - so ridiculous I couldn't really watch much of his nonsense speech (Boner, that is).

Obama has eased us out of the Bush financial quagmire (with a giveaway) and he'll probably get us out of Iraq and Afghanistan, too. Sure, he gutted the healthcare overhaul [already], even so that's a lot of mopping up for a first half. We can likely expect a do-nothing second half, hopefully.
                              May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                                he has so much in his favor, instead he should be kicking asses right now,............He hasn't done a friggin thing I'd hoped for or done anything the way I would have, and yet he's still managed a hell of a lot of positives in a year and a half, against all odds
                                Ron I agree. At this point he is doing more harm than good in terms of achieving a new direction for the US. W, working with less in his coco, achieved more toward implementing his personal ideology goals with fewer resources than Obama has with his vast superior resources. What an ironic shame!

Comment

Working...
                                X