Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Congress to read the US Constitution - IN SESSION!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congress to read the US Constitution - IN SESSION!

According to the Washington Times, The House will open this year with a complete reading of the US Constitution! (All 4,400 words!)

House Speaker Designate John Boehner announced that the clerk of the House of Representatives will read the Constitution aloud at the start of the new Congress.

AFAIK, this has never been done before. I say, it's about time. Some recent comments by Nancy Pelosi seemed to indicate she didn't even have a clue what the Bill of Rights was about. I'm sure many of our esteemed congresspersons share that ignorance - if recent legislation is any indicator.

There was a petition circulated online about a month ago by a civil rights organization that probably stimulated this action.

If you want to sign the petition to have the Senate read the Constitution at the beginning of the session as well, go to the site to sign the petition.

www.readtheusconstitution.org

I did.

And tell your non-HT friends, as well!

Then we will see if they start abiding by our Constitution as well....

Last edited by Kaonohi; December 27, 2010, 04:26 PM. Reason: Completion
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Re: Congress to read the US Constitution - IN SESSION!

A lovely, but ineffective, gesture. It will change nothing about how our government operates - understand that: nothing.

How many of "we the people" have read it?

Comment

Reading the Constitution is like reading the Bible or Quran....everyone has their own interpretation. Case in point, our HOA By-Laws say that all votes shall be secret and anonymous, yet we are required to put our unit number on our ballot. I appealed to the Board of Directors. They denied my appeal on a 3 to 2 vote with the logic of "it depends on how you define secret and anonymous!"

I won't be signing the petition to read the Constitution into the Congressional Record. It's a meaningless gesture.
      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
        I won't be signing the petition to read the Constitution into the Congressional Record. It's a meaningless gesture.
        As you wish, it's free country.
        Perhaps, as you say, it is a "meaningless gesture," but I think your attitude assumes our representatives are deliberately dishonest. Well, some may be, but for those that are marginally 'honest,' it may cause them to question their actions and modify their stance.

I don't expect sweeping changes from grass-roots efforts, but these days, any change is welcome if it is positive.

K
        ~ ~

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
          Not just me, I'm sure!
          But, reading it and REMEMBERING IT all, are two different things!

If I am sworn to uphold a set of standards, and I have never read them .... Or even heard them read ....

Ye naysayers, perhaps it is worthless as you say, but it does no harm, and perhaps may even do some good, no matter how miniscule, and we need all the good we can get about now.

Matapule, Leo, are you afraid by signing you may be targeted by the government? Come join me on the waterboards if you dare to live free, or die trying.

Oh, I know, a bit too dramatic, but if you fear signing, tell me why? Perhaps I'm out of touch? Are we already a theocracy?

K
          ~ ~

Comment

It just occurred to me:

This "Reading of the Constitution in Congress" was started by a grass-roots effort.
            Whether or not it changes things for us, it does demonstrate that petitions CAN have an effect, and that WE can change things in government by coordinated action.

Perhaps I will be shown to be a dreamer (but I'm not the only one), however, I would rather be an unsuccessful person trying to better our system than someone who gives up before they start.

Perhaps some of you are privileged to information I am not; if that is so, please share!
            ~ ~

Comment

A lovely, but ineffective, gesture. It will change nothing about how our government operates - understand that: nothing.

Change nothing? Of course not, it's just a continuation of the same fraud, waste and abuse we are all familiar with - wasting time and money to no one's benefit. Good thing almost no one has to LISTEN.
              May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                but if you fear signing, tell me why? Perhaps I'm out of touch?
                Not afraid to sign anything. You are jumping to conclusions. It's the kind of stunt that the Baggers are known for. I won't buy into their crazy philosophy.

Are we already a theocracy?
                Unfortunately, 90% of the way there.

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                Perhaps some of you are privileged to information I am not; if that is so, please share!
                Boehner is doing this as a cheap grandstanding trick. The Constitution is being used as a partisan political tool. Hardly what the original signers had in mind.

There, now you are back in touch.
                Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Boehner is doing this as a cheap grandstanding trick.
                  Bears repeating; that's all this is. Despite what our friend Kaonohi has stated, there is nothing "grass-roots" about the decision to do this. The sponsor of the rule to present this reading, incumbent Rep. Robert Goodlatte (R-Va.), conveniently began courting the Tea Party during the past election, fwiw.

Comment

Not afraid to sign anything. You are jumping to conclusions. It's the kind of stunt that the Baggers are known for. I won't buy into their crazy philosophy.
                    Looks like somebody in the GOP was watching Mr. Smith Goes To Washington and suddenly had this bright idea...

Reading the Constitution while in session. What's next? Are the Republicans going to symbolically break out the cots onto the senate floor the next time they feel like filibustering, and carrying on like Jimmy Stewart fighting against the "tyranny" of the Obama administration.

That's all well and good... if you want to see Frank Capra-like dramatics on C-SPAN. A total and utter waste of time, if you desire productive activity and legislation from Congress.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Bears repeating; that's all this is. Despite what our friend Kaonohi has stated, there is nothing "grass-roots" about the decision to do this. The sponsor of the rule to present this reading, incumbent Rep. Robert Goodlatte (R-Va.), conveniently began courting the Tea Party during the past election, fwiw.
                      So, I got scammed by the Tea Partiers...
                      I'm SO ashamed!

I got the notice to sign the petition from a citizens' action group concerned with 'Bill of Rights' issues. They evidently felt Nancy Pelosi, et. al. were clueless about the Constitution.... I was under the impression that this grass-roots group had initiated the action! I guess they were snowed by this "Goodlatte" guy as well. Power corrupts....

But you are right, after the reading they will STILL be clueless, but at least they will no longer have an excuse.

Fool me once, shame on you....

I'm so glad I have HT watching my back.
                      Last edited by Kaonohi; December 28, 2010, 04:56 PM. Reason: Klairattie
                      ~ ~

Comment

You can be certain that Pelosi is irked by the 2nd Amendment, and probably a couple others.
                        FutureNewsNetwork.com
                        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

The difference between the Constitution and some religious book is the fact that the Constitution has known authors and is the living and breathing document to this country. Call it a matter of pride or patriotism or whatever, but that is undeniable. Whatever failed Congresses of years' past, regardless of their crimes, corruptions, abuses of power, or stupidity... and not predicting any future Congresses, I see nothing wrong with reading it.

As far as what the new Congress wants to do, if they want to read it, then fine. It'll be like a longer drawn out verson of the Pledge of Allegiance. Maybe it'll spark something amongst them, but more than likely not. Considering Americans are so caught up in belief systems anyway, for many normal average everyday citizens, it's enough to bring a smile to their face and a glimmer of hope... because for some, that's all they want.

Comment

Whoa... both of those sentences have true observations on our society. IMO
                            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bjd392 View Post
                              ... Considering Americans are so caught up in belief systems anyway, for many normal average everyday citizens, it's enough to bring a smile to their face and a glimmer of hope... because for some, that's all they want.
                              I like that. Especially since a smile is more than we get sometimes. Eh?
                              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X