Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Weiner Dog

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    And, to add a little more "name humor" to the equation, Luke Russert just mentioned on the Today Show:
    "I spoke to a Weiner aide recently..."
    Tutu, just stop it. In proper German his name is pronounced Wine-er not Ween-er. But if us cannot get proper grammar straight on that thread, then I can see that us cannot get us's pronunciation straight neither, like me.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
      1) When in doubt, you should assume a politician is lying to you or omitting critical pieces of truth, whether there is a (R) or (D) after their name..
      Joe, I am as cynical as the next person, but I can't agree with your blanket assessment. I think there are a significant number of politicians of both parties (and every other stripe) who are committed, trustworthy, and honest.

I would like to give a shout out to Representative Lois Capps (D) who represents parts of Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo counties in CA. She is so fair and even-handed, even rethuglicans vote for her.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
        Tutu, just stop it. In proper German his name is pronounced Wine-er not Ween-er. But if us cannot get proper grammar straight on that thread, then I can see that us cannot get us's pronunciation straight neither, like me.
        Either way, it's still funny! It's just that one tends to vacillate between PG and R! I have yet to hear anyone pronounce the name as Wine-er (Whine-er?!), tho'...including Luke Russert and the rest of the anchors and reporters I've heard.

Comment

I have yet to hear anyone pronounce the name as Wine-er (Whine-er?!), tho'...including Luke Russert and the rest of the anchors and reporters I've heard.
          You mean the "lame stream media"? Us had dinner tonight with a woman, Marikel, born in Germany and still speaks with a German accent. Her said his name is Wine-er! Her explained it thusly:

Weiner = Wine-er
          Wiener = Ween-er

Comment

'i' before 'e' except after 'c' isn't set in stone, and I was always taught that in these cases, you pronounce the second letter of the 'ie' or 'ei' pair.

Weiner...wine er
            Wiener...ween er
            http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
            http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

You mean the "lame stream media"? Us had dinner tonight with a woman, Marikel, born in Germany and still speaks with a German accent. Her said his name is Wine-er! Her explained it thusly:

Weiner = Wine-er
              Wiener = Ween-er
              You might want to take that up with Weiner!

Even Weiner's long-time friend, Jon Stewart, says ween-er. This show aired prior to Weiner's confession. Gawd, Stewart's funny! BOOM!

Proper or not, even Ween-er, himself, makes fun of his name at the Congressional Correspondent's Dinner last March! He also mentioned that his great-grandfather changed the last name from...Schmuck! And then there's a lengthy bit about his Twitter reputation! Little did he know...

Comment

Joe, I am as cynical as the next person, but I can't agree with your blanket assessment.
                Yeah, my blanket statement isn't fair to the honest politicians out there.

The only politician I know personally was the mayor of his small town; a real good guy. He only did it for a few years before he burned out. Was it because he lacked the proper "people skills"? Was he too idealistic? Bad luck? Wasn't dirty enough? I dunno.

I'm too honest and principled for office politics. The people I dislike tend to thrive at office politics. Manipulative people get results (at least in the short term), so the bosses love, or at least tolerate, them.

That's my limited experience with politics and politicians.
                "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                "
                Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

I havn't heard weenie man pronounce his own name, but heard the proper way is wine-er. The best way to say it is GONE.
                  https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                    I havn't heard weenie man pronounce his own name, but heard the proper way is wine-er. The best way to say it is GONE.
                    Ron, you can hear Weiner pronounce his name in a link I provided in post #51.

Comment

Ron, you can hear Weiner pronounce his name in a link I provided in post #51.
                      Tony Boney was using self-deprecating humor in that clip.....poking fun at himself, because most people do pronuonce his name incorrectly as Wee-ner.

Comment

Tony Boney was using self-deprecating humor in that clip.....poking fun at himself, because most people do pronuonce his name incorrectly as Wee-ner.
                        I thought of that, too, but wondered why his introduction didn't include some sort of a tongue-in-cheek, ween-er/wine-er reference so there was some acknowledgement of his proper name. I'm not saying you're wrong, matapule; just that I have yet to hear his name pronounced wine-er by anyone, regardless of the reason. There is plenty of evidence as to spelling and correct pronounciation. Jon Stewart had a great opportunity to clarify the name during the segment linked above, which was before Weiner's confession. Maybe he should go back to Schmuck, per his great-grandfather! Oh wait...maybe not! Anyway, if you run across a video of his name pronounced correctly, let us know!

Comment

Weiner = Wine-er
                          Wiener = Ween-er
                          If you really want to get technical about German pronunciation, shouldn't you be debating over VINE-er and VEEN-er?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                            If you really want to get technical about German pronunciation, shouldn't you be debating over VINE-er and VEEN-er?
                            Leo, you are 100% correct. BTW our German friend told us that the Weiner name means "wine maker." And she did pronounce it Vine-er.

Comment

The devil made me share this:
                              Attached Files

Comment

The devil made me share this:
                                I don't get it. "mounting pressure on Vine-er"? Oh, nevermind.

The man does have some serious addictions with which he needs professional help.

Comment

Working...
                                X