X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Asian Americans: Mainland vs. Hawaii viewpoints

Originally posted by scrivener
    I also brought with me little snack-size packages of chocolate-covered macadamia nuts, and passed them out in common areas; it always sparked conversation and it resulted in people recognizing me and greeting me everywhere I went that week. Others in my group had similar experiences. I maintain that most people are interested in you as a person; if you give them that person to interact with, your ethnicity becomes secondary in the relationship. If you don't give them that person, all they have to go on is how you look.
    I know what you mean. Everytime I visit Hawai'i, I have to make sure I bring back omiyage for my coworkers (all Caucasian). Unfortunately, in this day and age, almost anything food wise that I can bring back from Hawai'i can also be found at Costco or the big Asian grocery stores. So now I have to get creative and bring back trinkets instead of the made in Hawaii food products. Except for manapua and Komoda cream puffs.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Hmm.. interesting thread!

Okay, i'm a haole originally from Michigan.

When I grew up in Michigan.. all I can say is being a haole among haole is a lonely existance.. no one really cares. When you are of a minority (like now when I'm living in Korea teaching english here).. everyone cares and interested in how the non-majority person is dealing with everything. Its kinda cool.

Anyhow, when I grew up in white rural Michigan.. when I saw someone who obviously looked different.. always went out of way to help that person out. And if they looked different, then you'd be sure if you'd seen them before, and could probably say they were a visitor/stranger, and might need some help. But if I saw just another white-looking guy.. who knows, who cares.. let him figure it out. (Unless of course they ask, then you'd help of course).

I actually prefer to be the guy who stands out.. which is why when I became and adult.. and as soon as I could.. I left Michigan.. I went to live in places like New York City and later San Francisco (where a white guy is just one small group among many different kinds of groups). And I prefer to be around ALL kinds of people (not just the ones who look the most like me - kinda boring in a place like Michigan).

That being said.. many people seem to think the opposite.. they don't like being a minority person. I don't mind being white living in Korea.. but when I hang around with a lot of non-Korean people here in Korea.. there is always some guy going off on how racist Koreans are all the time. It gets kind of annoying. It seems like whoever is the majority is labeled racist no matter where you go. The expats living in Japan always go off on how racist Japanese people are.. and on and on. I know plenty of people who afraid to come and live in Korea because everything they hear and read says how racists the Korean people are.

I've also read tons of stuff about how haoles experience racism in Hawaii? Do they? I don't know.. but I know if and when I read message boards about Korea, Taiwan, mainland US, wherever in the world.. there are always people saying wherever they go and they aren't the majority there.. then everyone else is acting in racist ways all the time towards them.

As for me.. I'll always love being one of the minorities.. I see it differently. I don't want to be one of the crowds.. one of the many.. I don't want to be just another white face in a sea of white faces.

But I can relate to the original posters original comments. From time-to-time.. especially living here in Korea.. if I hear the question 'can you use chopsticks?' or 'have you ever tried Korean food before?' one more time.. I'm going to kick some serious Korean ass! Just kidding . But YES I DO eat korean food and use chopsticks EVERYDAY.. so if any Koreans are out there.. STOP ASKING ME THAT! (Even if they do, I understand its just out of friendliness and curiousity). But yeah, sometimes I do search out non-Korean people in Korea.. just because we have common references and a better understanding of each other that doesn't need to be expressed and communicated all the time - so can understand from that point-of-view.

Anyhow.. regardless. Hawaii sounds damn nice to me! Hawaiians, Filipinos, Japanese, Haoles, Portuguese, Puerto Ricans, and whoever and which ever mixed into the salad bowl.. its all good.. the more the vegetables.. the tastier the salad!

Comment

hold that tiger.

Block that metaphor!

Comment

So how are those Korean girls, Tiger?

Oh wait, let me... red chicklet | Dumb@ss.
          Last edited by sinjin; September 7, 2005, 05:08 AM.
          “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
          http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin
            So how are those Korean girls, Tiger?

Oh wait, let me... red chicklet | Dumb@ss.
            You're one baaaaaad boy, Sin.

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
              You're one baaaaaad boy, Sin.

Miulang
              You don't know the half of it. I'm probably safe though as Kimo casts a long shadow.
              “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."

Comment

Tiger Beer
                You sound like a good guy. Allow me to make one significant difference between your experience and mine. I am an AMERICAN, born and raised. On the mainland, in most places except Hawaii, I am treated as a foreigner by whites. In my own country. How f***ed up is that? You are an American. In Korea you ARE a foreigner. Additionally, whites are afforded VIP treatment in asia. I've seen it first hand. I own a business and travel throughout asia many times a year.

I have white employees. In various interactions with asians in Asia, they will give preferential treatment to my white employees over me and even they notice this.

Comment

Originally posted by kahalabrah
                  Tiger Beer
                  You sound like a good guy. Allow me to make one significant difference between your experience and mine. I am an AMERICAN, born and raised. On the mainland, in most places except Hawaii, I am treated as a foreigner by whites. In my own country. How f***ed up is that? You are an American. In Korea you ARE a foreigner. Additionally, whites are afforded VIP treatment in asia. I've seen it first hand. I own a business and travel throughout asia many times a year.

I have white employees. In various interactions with asians in Asia, they will give preferential treatment to my white employees over me and even they notice this.
                  Extremely significant point.

I hear what you are saying.

And here is to Hawaii! (hold beer glass up). But yeah, that is pretty fucked up.

Comment

Why do you suppose that is?

Comment

Tiger Beer

It really is ironic, Kahalabrah. I mean that sincerely. I guess that being an American is both a blessing and a curse. The poor African Americans in the Gulf states that were devastated by the hurricane probably feel exactly as you do when you're on the Mainland: disenfranchised. I'm glad you're in Hawai'i because now you know what it feels like to be in the "majority". I've always thought that the best way to end discrimination in the world is to let people from other cultures and countries mingle with each other and travel away from their normal point of reference. When you get thrown into an unfamiliar culture, it can be very jarring and alienating. But like Tiger, I love to travel. I love to meet people who are different than me. I like being different from everybody else. I can't change anyone's perception of me, but I can change my attitude about how others perceive me by respecting them and earning their respect. And as far as sexual discrimination...let's just have a biiiiig party and let nature take its course.

Miulang

Comment

I notice in Korea.. there are many Korean-Americans/Canadians/Austrials/etc. They are called 'gyopos'.. kind of means 'of the same embroyo as a Korean but grew up in a different culture'.

Anyhow.. with whites and gyopos.. for teaching english.. whites usually have the preference.. I don't know why. Particularly for all the run-of-the-mill 'face showing' jobs. But for the really good jobs, its anyone's game - gyopo or foreigner - whoever can actually DO the job.

But when it comes to managing the white guys.. then gyopos have a very strong advantage.. as they are perceived to understand both cultures or expected to (regardless if they actually do or not).

Anyhow, I see different people (based on race/culture) having different advantages/disadvantages, etc. Gyopos have more opportunities, but also more responsibilities (expectations). Whereas whites have limited opportunities here.. but we get a lot of interest/slight fascination/and yes sometimes outright racism as well (depending). But anyhow..

I couldn't say whats better.. I know plenty of whites who know Korean language fluently.. and frustrated at the ceilings here placed on them. But I know plenty of gyopos here who have no ceilings.. but get frustrated with the expectations placed on them here (to act korean and speak fluent korean since they look Korean), etc.

Within the business world.. I'm not really sure.. I think whites get a lot more respect in the business world though. But also heard some struggle with the fact they aren't actually Korean or Asian and reach that ceiling once again whereas a gyopo or asian person wouldn't once again (i mean if they are really taking Asia as the place to be). If they are just traveling around on business trips here and there.. and not really connected to anywhere but back home.. then probably easier being white (for face-showing for a company). But if really trying to being rooted into the culture and establishing a business here, then its 1000 times better to be of the same ethnicity here.

Anyhow..

Comment

I know some large multinational companies actually do make mandatory "etiquette" classes for their American executives who will be working in another culture. It's the old thing of "when in Rome, do as the Romans do" and Asian cultures in particular, I think, have some pretty quirky rituals that most Americans would go "huh???" at if they weren't forewarned. I think the same thing could be said for the Muslims, too.

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                          X