Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Those Hawaiians, Those Mainlanders!

Originally posted by Wild Child
    Local folks could learn something from the service industry in New York. NYC seems to have Hawaii beat in terms of customer service, people are much nicer, more helpful-- much more "aloha". Makes me sad to realize how much Hawaii has lost when it comes to the aloha spirit... where did it go? Never thought I would think NYC has Hawaii beat in that arena.
    Are you currently living in NYC? Obviously you never shop at Duane Reade... Give me Longs any day...

Comment

Originally posted by Sindahrella808
      I just said that I am willing to rethink my position. I posted ysterday why it has negative meaning to me. It's just a word, im not going to keep beating a dead horse on it. Unitl I have given it some thought, I prefer not to hear it used, but if others don't mind, I am perfectly fine with thier opinions and perspectives. To each his own. I know many people who do not "appreciate" the term. It's not a major deal...lets move on...

I admire you for rethinking your position on the word "native". Everyday we learn something new. In the far north of my country the "INUIT" do not like to be called "ESKIMOS" It means "eaters of raw flesh", and for some reason that definition offends the "native" Inuit. Inuit, by the way, means simply "The People" I think that as long as we are willing to learn and rethink our positions on our preformed "set" ideas, then the different cultures will get along so much better.
      I was interested when someone mentioned that in a military X-Cultural in-service they were taught such things as the meaniing of raised eyebrows, and inflection. I find that very interesting, and would like that member to share what he/she learned about such things.
      In the Eastern Arctic of Canada, a wrinkled nose, and a frown means "No", wile the simple raising of the eyebrows means "yse"...or "agreement,"
      the wrinkling of the nose is usually followed by the word..."aca", which simply means "NO".
      It is this kind of exchange within cultures that facinate me.
      Oh, and before I forget, the Canadian Arctic is now divided along the tree line, and the Eastern Arctic is now called NUNUVUT, while the West is not yet officially named DENEDEH, but that is probably what it will be called eventually. The Dene, and the Indian Peoples of the Western Arctic, as opposed to the Inuit of the East, and hence they are called the Inuit of Nunuvut. The Far northern Inuit of the West, who really have no relation to the Dene,are calling themselves the INUVIALUIT.
      So you see, Hawai'i does not hold the exclusive rights to feeling that they must protect their culture. We are dealing with many of the same issues here in Canada..."MY OWN TRUE NATIVE LAND"..(PART OF OUR NATIONLA ANTHEM FOR THOSE WHO DO NOT RECOGNISE THAT PRHASE).(LOL)

Must go to work,

Enjoy talking story , and Mahalo for listening,

Aloha,

Claudia (Ke'o'opalani)...I think.

Comment

I think we are all saying basically the same thing, just different symantics and perspectives.

I am willing to re-think my position on the word "Native". Presentation is everything after all.....I did not mean to start a controversy on the word. It is just a word when I think about it.

In the end we are all the Human Race...maybe we should just start referring to each other as "hey human!" ..talk about an equal playing field
        I have a story for you from the early 1990s:

I was in my early-20's and had given birth to my eldest. I am sitting in my grandparents' parlor watch tv with my grandfather, and it was a talkshow with Public Enemy and Sistah Souljah (rappers of yesteryear). I found myself really becoming swept up in SS' talk about how the Africans of Africa are so bad off, and while I forget what that precise context was, I will never forget my grandfather's response:

"so what about them? They are still living. In your lifetime you will see the last of the fullblooded Hawaiians die out. There aren't many of us who are over half-Hawaiian. No cry for them. Think about us instead, because we aren't so lucky, our clock is running out."

My point is it is a different sort of baggage that a micro-people carry. When we get washed under the indifferent suggestion of being part of McWorld™, the pendulum swings into Jihad™.

And yet we aren't consistent with this. If we read a column in National Geographic about Tibetans, we are more likely to sympathize at that next sighting of a "Free Tibet" bumper sticker instead of shrugging that those buggahs should just accept that fact that they are Chinese.

...more later...

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
          If we read a column in National Geographic about Tibetans, we are more likely to sympathize at that next sighting of a "Free Tibet" bumper sticker instead of shrugging that those buggahs should just accept that fact that they are Chinese.
          Which they aren't. But that topic will drift us too far off topic.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
            Which they aren't. But that topic will drift us too far off topic.
            And that's my point.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
              "so what about them? They are still living. In your lifetime you will see the last of the fullblooded Hawaiians die out. There aren't many of us who are over half-Hawaiian. No cry for them. Think about us instead, because we aren't so lucky, our clock is running out."
              If the KSBE study that was just released is borne out by actual census results in 2050, the kanaka maoli will NOT be extinct. There might not be very many full blooded kanaka maoli left, but the report says the number of people in Hawai'i with some kanaka maoli blood will double, and the number of kanaka maoli on the Mainland will triple! That's an incredible rebirth of a culture and heritage that immediately after Statehood in 1959 was declared DOA.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                If the KSBE study that was just released is borne out by actual census results in 2050, the kanaka maoli will NOT be extinct. There might not be very many full blooded kanaka maoli left, but the report says the number of people in Hawai'i with some kanaka maoli blood will double, and the number of kanaka maoli on the Mainland will triple! That's an incredible rebirth of a culture and heritage that immediately after Statehood in 1959 was declared DOA.

Miulang
                I read that article and apparently view the data much more skeptically than you do. What it says to me is, we are diluting and spreading thin, and I don't share the same conclusion that "an incredible rebirth of culture and heritage" will result from the fact that there are many more 1/16th Hawaiians out there even though the 16/16ths will die out in our lifetime.

pax

Comment

What that study says to me is that the Federal Gov't will finally get it's wish and be able to end the DHHL Program...being that there will most likely not be enough Native Hawaiians of 50% Blood quantum to support it.

Funny how they can make bad news sound like a positve...We can only wish that they do away with the Blood Quantum requirements and open DHHL to all Native Hawaiian's along with Federal Recognition.....

Ever wonder why out of all the Polynesian Races, Hawaiians are the only ones going extinct when it comes to being PURE....And just to set the record straight...CAPTAIN COOK DID NOT DISCOVER HAWAII.... HAWAIIANS DID.
                  Every morning I get up and look through the Forbes list of Richest People in America. If I'm not on it, I go to work.

Comment

....And just to set the record straight...CAPTAIN COOK DID NOT DISCOVER HAWAII.... HAWAIIANS DID.
                    uh, yea. everyone here, got that by now... Go to Hawaii.com to preach this.

Comment

Are you a natural jerk, or do you work at it really hard??????

(No need to answer by the way...I'm sure it is obvious to everyone here)
                      Last edited by Sindahrella808; September 28, 2005, 09:43 PM.
                      Every morning I get up and look through the Forbes list of Richest People in America. If I'm not on it, I go to work.

Comment

I am sayin yer preachin to the choir

(while shouting)

Comment

and your point is???...Why do you care? not everyone reading this thread may actually be part of the choir...YET

Comment

I am! I belong to the Church Choir! Bro Kimo is not a jerk. He is a very good man. You're new here don't be calling people names. Not nice.

Auntie Lynn
                            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Ever wonder why out of all the Polynesian Races, Hawaiians are the only ones going extinct when it comes to being PURE.
                              And whose "fault" is that?

Is someone forcing all those Hawaiians and part-Hawaiians to breed with other part-Hawaiians and non-Hawaiians?

If full-blooded Hawaiians don't have a big hangup about keeping it "pure," why should anyone else? "Hawaiian" is supposedly more about culture than about race, anyway. Or so it was under the kingdom ... which, granted, was only a small fraction of "Hawaiian" history ... oh, but I digress.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                                And whose "fault" is that?

Is someone forcing all those Hawaiians and part-Hawaiians to breed with other part-Hawaiians and non-Hawaiians?

If full-blooded Hawaiians don't have a big hangup about keeping it "pure," why should anyone else? "Hawaiian" is supposedly more about culture than about race, anyway. Or so it was under the kingdom ... which, granted, was only a small fraction of "Hawaiian" history ... oh, but I digress.

BREED???? .OK I won't even touch that one it is so ignorant..who's fault? Lets see...Westerners arrive....Pure Hawaiians begin dying by the HUNDREDS of thousands...from 1778 to 1878 number of Pure Hawaiians falls from about 400,000 to about 40,000 due to disease introduced by foreigners...there is your fault sweetheart....

Comment

Working...
                                X