PETA... This is low

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PETA... This is low

As a vegetarian, I'm not very pleased with PETA. In my opinion, all they do is make spectacles of themselves by saying outrageous things and maintaining an unhealthy stereotype of rabid vegetarians that try to preach to everyone in a confrontational manner. I dislike people and organizations that I preceive as claiming to stand for something like vegetarianism, but they ruin it by making a bad feeling with the public through extremism.

Sometimes I think that PETA is being funded by various people and corporations that have vested interest in the meat industries, just so they can try to discredit vegetarians.

Vanguard, you are brilliant. With a capital B.

Many left leaning groups make bad feelings with the public through extremism. This speaks to my earlier comment about mainstream Democratic politics being kidnapped by their fringe. Sorry Leo, it is the root of the success of the idiot-in-chief. Moore is the prime example. If all press is good press, why did he make a movie about Bush? More likely his fringe antics contributed to W's success. Watching Moore on Leno wearing an Armani suit and bragging about his tax cuts the year after he bilked $7 out of 1/2 the wallets in America was truly a pop culture moment of cognitive dissonance on an epic scale.

Your next point is vividly demonstrated in Kona right now. Some of the most successful factions of the Politics of NO succeed in stifling growth in Kona which helps to limit supply, especially at the lowest price levels. Some of their funding comes vicariously through real estate speculators who know that limiting supply is the key to a healthy return on investment. The protesters operate in a vacuum of their own creation. The results of their protest are demonstrated by the increasing number of homeless, and the silver lining in every homeowners pocket.

Modern Liberalism is driven by strict adherence to cognitive dissonance.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp
      Think late 70's - not now. And, isn't that a petroluem based product using up valuable resources? Fur coat properly cared for will last through at least three generations - wonder if the goretex would? The fur coat doesn't need to be washed, just brushed! Wise use of resources should be considered. The fur coat is a recycled item which will last a very long time, my sister-in-law wears it now and I expect it will get passed along to one of her daughters.

First off PETA sucks. Secondly synthetic materials are a much better alternative because they're exactly that: synthetic. If you live in t3h Arctic or Antarctic at a research station, or Siberia, I could see justification in your wearing a fur coat, I would too. However fur is not a sustainable resource because many of the target species are under intense pressure and are in danger of going the way of the dodo. Petroleum? Who cares, we're going to run out of that crap relatively soon anyhow. How about Nuclear Power: inexhaustable and way more efficient than fossil fuels. Any panzy scared of another Three Mile Island should read up on history and advances in nuclear power.
      Reminds me of a funny sign I saw on campus today: "Nuclear Power Is Safer Than Sex"
      Liberal bashing is juvenile... I'm an independant, however in recent years I've been inclined to side more with the Democratic Party and liberals. My reasoning? Conservatives seek to maintain good old American values. You can't stunt a country's growth with that BS. You need to continue to advance, change is good, lest you crumble in your stagnent mire. That is why economies are starting to threaten overtaking the US economy. The US sits back, stays the same, and the world passes them by. I love the US and thats why we have to progress. We need to start lifting the bans on genetic research. It's the future. We need to improve ourselves as a species. Currently it is illegal to manufacture pharmaceuticles that enhace human beings without curing something. In other countries this is not the case. The US is losing ground as a scientific forerunner. Also, a chap told me the other day that the US is no longer the fattest country; Britain has supposedly laid claim to the throne. If this is true than we're not even good at being fat and lazy. How sad is that??? I'm kindof ranting now just because I need a topic to hold my interest and I'm trying to incite some discussion as there seems to be a lull on HT as of late... Thats the only reason for this-the PETA, petroleum, nuclear power paragraph though, that's the point of my response to this thread.
      Last edited by Whitepoint3rchum; July 11, 2006, 06:12 PM.
      "Hey fool, we gots yo leada!"
      "But I can't even read good."
      "Whatever that means, you ____ peasant."
      "That (stuff) is the MOST BALLER THING EVAAA!!!!"

Comment

Siding with the left would imply a resistance to GMO.

But promoting genetic research would indicate favoring GMO.

Would that be cognitive dissonance?

LOL

I'm for GMO - on humans, corn, taro, sheep, stem cells, or whatever.
        FutureNewsNetwork.com
        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

As far as cognitive dissonance... I don't think so b/c neither party seems to be willing to advance in the genetic arena, however the GOP (specifically conservs), at least to ME, and I could be misinterpreting them, strikes me as more resistant than the liberals. If this is not the case, then please explain.
          "Hey fool, we gots yo leada!"
          "But I can't even read good."
          "Whatever that means, you ____ peasant."
          "That (stuff) is the MOST BALLER THING EVAAA!!!!"

Comment

Working...
          X