The "Real" Middle Eastern War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The "Real" Middle Eastern War

Miulang, as I've requested before, please do not use HawaiiThreads as your personal blog. I ask that you post no more than three consecutive messages to a thread, and again, limit the amount of material you quote from other sources to one or two paragraphs at most. Ideally, you should be contributing the majority of the content to the messages you post. And if no one is inspired to respond, then perhaps it's time to give the topic a rest.

If you'd like a blog to which you can post all the links, periodic updates, and excerpts that you'd like, I can set you up with one.

Comment

I love that we can scold people with such aloha for each other and without any spankings. Only in Hawai‘i!

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
      USA TODAY, page 2A
      11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
        I love that we can scold people with such aloha for each other and without any spankings. Only in Hawai‘i!
        Yeah, right. Only in Hawaii. Because nobody else in the world can possibly be courteous! ONLY IN HAWAII, DAMMIT!!!!

It's funny that you posted this a few seconds or a minute after I posted in another thread about how people in Hawaii always use "Only in Hawaii" as a tagline for various anecdotes. Funneee!
        Last edited by MadAzza; August 20, 2006, 02:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL

Yeah, in other boards such persistent infringement of the rules ends up with DA BAN.

Lots of Aloha, indeed.
          You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Hopefully, many lessons will be learned by the Israeli government and the military with regard to the last conflict in Lebanon. Here's the Jerusalem Post's scorecard of who did what, and when. The Israeli military, like our own DoD, has to rethink how to fight a war. No longer will there be conventional wars...the wars of the future will be guerilla ones where the enemy will be elusive.

And, in a situation frighteningly like the US occupation in Iraq, the IDF reservists were the ones who took the greatest number of casualties and suffered more because they were ill equipped and not trained to engage in the kind of conflict that occurred on the ground in Lebanon. In the meantime, the "war" continues between Israel and the Palestinians, and more people on both sides are getting kidnapped, injured or killed. What may be worse for Israel, Hamas and Fatah, who used to hate each other, have now officially agreed to start talks about a unified government, which makes Israel's presence in the occupied territory even more dicey.

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

There are some fascinating parallels between what's happening politically here in the US and what's happening in Israel post-Lebanon 2.

The Knesset is empaneling a 5-man commission to examine the war in all its aspects. At this point, Udi Adam, one of the generals who led the northern strike force has resigned. Prime Minister Ehud Olmert and Defense Minister Amir Peretz are on the ropes, as is Gen. Dan Halutz, the officer responsible for coordinating the war efforts. Halutz, in addition, was being investigated for selling off his stock portfolio on the same day that the war started with Lebanon. The IDF and the reserves are all up in arms over how the war was conducted, and Israel's figurehead President Moshe Katsav (who is a Bill Clinton lookalike) is being investigated for being a "little too friendly" with at least 7 women who have stepped forward to file complaints.

Yep, sounds like a fresh wind is coming to Israel, just like here in the US.
              In the meantime, the economy of Palestine is in the toilet, people are suffering there because their infrastructure was totally destoyed, and Israel continues to attack Gaza.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
              X