Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: America

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
    It cannot say that the 'sea to shining sea' has created a protective cove, insulating it from many of the world's ills. There is a third world country right on its southern border.

Demographics will likely have more influence than politics or energy. A "post-industrial" population of Euro-Americans having fewer children later in life is being replaced by an emerging population of Hispanics (both inside and outside of our border) that have more children at an earlier age. This is a neutral observation, not a value judgement.

I predict that a hard-working, less-educated population will reverse the dichotomy of inner-city poverty and wealthy suburbs, so that people live closer to where they work and lead simpler and independent lives by doing their own gardening, home and car repairs, even medical care to an extent.

How will this impact international relations? A mainly catholic population will defend itself from Islamic aggression, but be less inclined to support global corporate domination with the military.

All in all, a rosy picture. Wishful thinking?

Comment

Originally posted by Bard
      I just don't like the "sheeple" connotation of the word. Like a consumer is what a person is in their entirety, rather than something they do.
      je'like that reference da head of KFC made:

this bowl o gunk was created for "heavy fast food users".
      it will get worse. But for decades the masses, the proletariat have been referred to as the consumers. and for the most part, we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Whitepoint3rchum
        when do you foresee the splintering of the good 'ol USA?
        I've seen it happening around me my entire life. I consider myself fortunate to have been born in 20th Century America, but we are already well into the "decline and fall" side of the hill.
        Originally posted by 1stwahine
        Wait. Let me look into my Lemurian Diamond Ball!
        I would trust that prognostication device as much as any other these days.
        Originally posted by Bard
        I'm not going to win this one am I?
        Not as long as you think these types of discussions are meant to be "won" or "lost." Just kick back, keep your hands inside the cart, and enjoy the ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
          Not as long as you think these types of discussions are meant to be "won" or "lost." Just kick back, keep your hands inside the cart, and enjoy the ride.
          Another of my phrases gone wrong... "Winning" to me, where I used it there, means people understand what I meant to say (even if I said it badly). I don't seem to be "winning" much on here so far I appreciate the patience you've all displayed though.

Comment

Working...
          X