Five Years after 9/11/01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Five Years after 9/11/01

Thank you, pz - you beat me to it. If you can look past her inflammatory words to see Susie's point, there is a valid one there about picking up and moving forward, which includes a degree of effort to prevent a repeat attack.

Long-term changes in the policies of this country will do more good to change how America is viewed by the rest of the world than short-term restrictions and surveillance. And neither of those options will ever put a complete halt to extremist factions dedicated to the downfall of the only remaining world superpower.

Comment

Ten years from now, there'll be a 9/11 Sale at Macy's, and twenty years from now, a Twin Towers inflatable jumper for kids' parties.

And 30 years from now, there will be THE BORG reading a terrible book, full of hatred, and commands to kill your fellow humans. If Susie is in France, that explains a lot. France is being overrun by THE BORG as we speak.

YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED. Or you'll be dead.
      FutureNewsNetwork.com
      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

I didn't mean to offend individuals. What I meant was that it's time to stop thinking 9/11! 9/11! as if it were some sort of battle cry.

Now I'll shut up.
        http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon
          I didn't mean to offend individuals. What I meant was that it's time to stop thinking 9/11! 9/11! as if it were some sort of battle cry.

Now I'll shut up.
          Good idea. It appears communication skills are not your strength in this lifetime.

Huh? You didn't mean to offend? Exactly what is it about "Get over it, shit happens..." you feel isn't offensive? Especially as it relates to this horrific, life changing event? Do you have any idea AT ALL why this discussion, this thread, is going on? Well, here's a hint: Because the ***anniversary*** of 9/11 is rapidly approaching. DUH! If you don't like this forum discussing this subject well...shit happens...get over it...move on...and out...to another forum. Shame on you.

Comment

Whew. When tutusue uses the angry red not-smiley smiley, you know you're in trouble.

Like I said, I, too, dislike the whole "9/11 as a battle cry" thing. But Susie should have started there rather than... well, with that ridiculous, callous, and wholly inappropriately flippant reply. We understand you're not touched as deeply as the rest of us, Susie. But that should be your cue to tread gently, not be especially rude.

But. Since she's said she's done, can we please cut back on the drum-beating and chest thumping and return to the remembering and reflecting? Commiserating and sharing? Please?

Or, perhaps, should I be resigned to the fact that any discussion of 9/11 will invariably descend into "us versus them," "God Bless America!" and other rhetorical claptrap? A pity, and another opportunity lost, if so.

Comment

Or, perhaps, should I be resigned to the fact that any discussion of 9/11 will invariably descend into "us versus them," "God Bless America!" and other rhetorical claptrap? A pity, and another opportunity lost, if so.

You use the term "us vs them" as if that is NOT the case. You better brush up on your knowledge of Islam PZ. For those who wistfully believe that Islam is the religion of peace, I got some bad news for ya. We are at war with an ideology, rooted in evil, that has grown over hundreds of years to a point where the dangers, and deaths, are real. Do not underestimate a Muslims desire to kill. It is Allah's greatest command.

Nothing will be solved until the Quran is edited, or Islam is exterminated.

Like cockroaches.

And if God Bless America is rhetorical claptrap, I suggest you start packing.
              FutureNewsNetwork.com
              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Get over it, shit happens, life has got to go on. The more you don't get over it, the more the world will be filled with hate and xenophobia, the more your own government will make you fearful and afraid, the more that even your most bacic civil rights will be eroded. Just look at what has has
                happened since that day!

Excuse me, rant over.
                Susie? I suggest you share your advice with the families and friends of the people listed on this site. You might take a look at some of their pictures on the site---try repeating your words to the faces in those pictures. You'll have to be content to rant at their photos. These people are all dead.

You think you got a bad reception with your little rant on this board? Why not leave a few comments HERE:

http://www.september11victims.com/se...ctims_list.htm

I was in NY on 9/11. Over 350 police and firefighters were killed because of the attack. I have cousins who are in the FDNY and NYPD. Perhaps you'd like to share your views with them, too.

Comment

You think because I don't live in the US that I'm not as touched by what happened, and is continuing to happen?! It wasn't just America that got touched by this...then or now.

I get abused and screamed at by my neighbors...'Go back to Bush, Bit*h!".
                  I get spit on by people.
                  My kids get abuse at school.
                  I'm afraid that I'll be one of the first taken to the old concentration camp down the road...the one that was used during WW2.
                  I'm afraid.

And, most of all, I watch how the people that are in the US are dealing with this, and I'm sad and worried.

Comment

You think because I don't live in the US that I'm not as touched by what happened, and is continuing to happen?[...]
                    I think the way you choose to communicate "how touched by what happened" you are is grossly inappropriate; callous, as others have said.

Comment

I get abused and screamed at by my neighbors...'Go back to Bush, Bit*h!".
                      I get spit on by people.
                      My kids get abuse at school.
                      Sooz, honey? "Shit happens. Get over it."

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN
                        Sooz, honey? "Shit happens. Get over it."
                        I know. I do.

Comment

I know. I do.
                          You've personally "gotten over" something as devastating as losing loved ones in the WTC disaster?

Would it be so easy to "get over it" if these were your loved ones?

http://www.september11victims.com/se...nfo.asp?ID=173

No, I didn't know them personally. But I don't know how anyone could look at that picture and read the accompanying comments without feeling terrible sorrow.

No one with even a shred of a heart could look at it and say "Get over it. Shit happens."

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN
                            You've personally "gotten over" something as devastating as losing loved ones in the WTC disaster?

Would it be so easy to "get over it" if these were your loved ones?

http://www.september11victims.com/se...nfo.asp?ID=173

No, I didn't know them personally. But I don't know how anyone could look at that picture and read the accompanying comments without feeling terrible sorrow.

No one with even a shred of a heart could look at it and say "Get over it. Shit happens."
                            I was responding to your post number 55. I thought that you meant for me to get over the shit that I get where I live.

Comment

For those who wistfully believe that Islam is the religion of peace, I got some bad news for ya.
                              I could go on and on and on from personal experience (my sister-in-laws and their husbands are Muslim now) as to why the 21st-century Muslim is anything but peaceful toward non-Muslims (heck, Muslims killing other Muslims is the thing to do it seems these days). But, that's not what this thread is about. Maybe another time, another thread.

Anyway...

On Sept. 11, 2001, I was at the Fresno Airport at 5:15 am for a 6:30 flight to Phoenix, and then on to Washington DC (Reagan) for a conference. Unlike many terminals, the Fresno airport, at the time, didn't have a single television in the waiting area. I remember when the 5:45 am flight to Phoenix took off, I wished I was on it because I hate waiting. So, finally it was my turn to get on the plane. We all boarded, backed up, and were No. 1 for take off...but we weren't moving. The pilot kinda jokingly said "we're waiting for the OK to take off - it seems someone's flying planes into buildings or something" some people chuckled and I was like huh wtf? Then the guy behind me me turned on his cell phone and then started the "you're kidding me omg" stuff that usually comes when you're in shock. So, I turned mine on and I called my mom, who was like GET OFF THAT PLANE RIGHT THIS SECOND YOUNG LADY. I DONT CARE WHAT FLIGHT ATTENDANT YOU HAVE TO BEAT UP TO GET TO THE DOOR. YOU ARE NOT GOING TO DC. Then she went on to tell me about how there were planes crasing into buildings and started talking about car bombs and I was like ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. We eventually weren't allowed to take off and taxi'd back to the terminal and we deplaned. The America West lady at the counter assured me we'd be flying again within hours (I was like, yeah right), so she rebooked my flight for later that day. Course, three hours later, they cancelled all flights and I was SOOOO happy I wasn't on that earlier flight to Phoenix because I would have been stuck there. My parents were both at work and couldn't really come pick me up (they live about an hour from Fresno), but thankfully my Auntie Joyce lived down the street from the airport, so she came and picked me up around noon and I waited in her livingroom, which was where I first saw what was going on. I tried calling a friend of mine in Brooklyn, whose father works in the WTC, but I couldn't get through. I found out two days later that his dad wasn't in the building - he was late for work - but he was one of thousands who made the long walk from Manhattan to Brooklyn and eventually caught a ride when he was a mile away from home in Canarsie.

This was a nice little thread about memories. I hope it'll return to its previous momentum and tone.

-K

Comment

Thank you Kelly for sharing your story with us. Hopefully, others will join in too and get this thread back on track.

Love & Aloha

Auntie Lynn
                                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                                X