Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Amazing 9-11 Documentary - A Must See

Originally posted by scrivener
    The freeway argument's no good, because that's something we Americans do to ourselves and each other. Huge difference.
    That's exactly it. We do more to ourselves every single day than any terrorist organization has done to us. Stop a team of terrorists and you might save 3,000 lives. But make a smarter driver and you save 50,000 lives a year. But we all know that will never happen. Frustrating.

But this digresses from the main point: how can a building burn for hours and not collapse? And why did the WTC seem to fail so easily?

Fire resistance of a structure depends on what it's made out of and how it's designed. The architects who designed the WTC believed that a jet airliner could hit the building and it would survive. And they were right. The planes hit and the buildings continued to stand tall. The design featured multiple steel columns around the perimeter and within the core of the buildings which, despite the sudden loss of dozens of columns, successfully distributed the load to surviving columns.

However, the engineers didn't consider the effect of a post-crash fire which continued to weaken the structure. And with the core of the building severely damaged, critical firefighting systems were knocked out.

While steel might melt at about 1300 deg. C, it generally loses about half its strength at 600 deg. C. Something that could withstand a ton of load now becomes capable of carrying only 1000 pounds. And this doesn't take into account the fact that failure doesn't need to be catastrophic. Plastic deformation takes place as heat-induced ductility increases. It doesn't have to break. It only has to bend far enough to fail.

Floors above the fire started to sag and eventually disconnect from the steel columns. One floor falls onto the other, increasing the load by a factor of two. Then another floor fails. Once floors started to collapse, a chain reaction started. That's a tremendous amount of weight and a heck of a lot of inertia to resist.

Buildings are designed to tolerate a certain amount of static and dynamic load. In the WTC, floor failure increased static loads on the lower floors. And once a mass large enough started to move, even the intact floors couldn't resist the dynamic loads being applied. Internally, floors crashed downward, columns lost the cross-ties provided by the floor joists, and the structure quickly telescoped into itself.

Demoliton experts use these fundamentals to their advantage. Their goal is not to blowing a building to bits, but to induce sufficient structural failure and weakness to get it to start moving. Once it begins to collapse, gravity and inertia does the rest.

So the weak point was that the WTC was built almost entirely from steel columns and steel beams. No structural concrete surrounded any of the major vertical elements in an effort to save weight. It was vulnerable to any uncontrolled fire.

Masonry, on the other hand, can tolerate a great deal of heat and remain standing. Look at old WWII photos of cities that were firebombed and you'll notice a lot of fireplaces and chimneys still standing, as well as major parts of some churches or cathedrals.

There was a structure fire at the Ilikai back in the 1980's. By the time the fire was extinguished, nothing remained within except some ashes. But the basic structure remained sound.

As for the plane crashing into the Empire State Building: It was hit by a B-25, (not a B-52) weighing about 30,000 pounds and with a cruise speed of about 250 knots. It carried less than 700 gallons of avgas, max. It was in the process of landing and was probably going slower and had a lot less fuel aboard when it got into the fog and hit the building.

In the Empire State Building, masonry surrounds the basic steel frame. Concrete provides insulation from heat, as well as considerable compressive strength that isn't lost except when subjected to heat -- even at temperatures far in excess of what is normally encountered in a typical structure fire.

A Boeing 767 typically weighs 350,000 pounds and cruises in excess of 400 knots. It carries almost 24,000 gallons of jet-A fuel that also has 11 percent more energy density than avgas. The WTC was hit by something that was almost a dozen times heavier and probably going two times faster than what hit the Empire State Building. Double the speed, quadruple the energy. Multiply the weight by 12, throw in 35 times more fuel and it's a staggering amount of energy. Had a 767 intentionally hit the Empire State, you can bet the results would have been catastrophic, too.

And that's why the Empire State Building is still standing. The circumstances were not even close to that of the WTC.

Comment

OK then, there's the technical side. What about all the other coincidences? Like....all the mysterious pre 9-11 security evacuations, the fact that GW Bush's brother was in charge of security, and his last day was 9/10/01, all the "put options" purchased, the Osama Bin Laden staying in the US hospital days before and the staff being asked to leave, all the eye witness accounts of explosions way after impact, the hole in the pentagon that had no wing and engine imprint holes, the lawn that had NO skid damage, the complete lack of ANY airplane parts, or body parts....?

The list goes on. Your steel and temperature physics stats are impressive, but there is WAY more than just that in this film. And, sorry, with all that, the way the buildings fell SO perfectly like a demolition is just a little too questionable to me. This film more than illustrates many reasons to be suspicious.
      Last edited by tikiyaki; September 5, 2006, 04:21 AM.
      http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
      Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
      Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

No forget the 'simulated excercise' that the military was doing that day...the one about hijacked planes being flown into buildings....just coincidence, naturally.
        http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon
          No forget the 'simulated excercise' that the military was doing that day...the one about hijacked planes being flown into buildings....just coincidence, naturally.
          Right....and it goes on and on. Scary.

Comment

The most scary part for most people is to really think about the implications.
            http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
            http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki
              The list goes on. Your steel and temperature physics stats are impressive, but there is WAY more than just that in this film. And, sorry, with all that, the way the buildings fell SO perfectly like a demolition is just a little too questionable to me. This film more than illustrates many reasons to be suspicious.
              Buildings are built to be as perfectly plumb as possible. The aircraft struck the buildings fairly high up. Had they been hit lower, and off to one side, the chances of a toppling collapse would have been much greater.

But in this case, the process of collapse -- the failures of floors and subsequent simultaneous failures of columns -- didn't impart sufficient lateral moment. The upper floors hit the lower portion of the building like an incredibly huge pile driver. Therefore the WTC towers fell perfectly straight down.

Looks like I'll have to see that film to get the rest of the story, tho.

Regarding evidence of conspiracies: There's a phenomenon known as the Texas sharpshooter syndrome. Have someone shoot wildly at a barn, then draw a bullseye around the tightest cluster of bullets. It can then be claimed that this is where the shooter was aiming. Sometimes we see patterns when there really is no pattern. Odd coincidences can sometimes be just that -- coincidences. Unless proven otherwise.

I've wondered what would have happened if Japan hadn't attacked Pearl Harbor. America would have delayed its entry into the European war. Germany might have overwhelmed England. The Allies would have lost a crucial staging point on the eastern side of the Atlantic. Germany might have had time to advance its nuclear physics knowledge and improve the V2 rocket... So maybe America itself allowed or covertly encouraged Japan to make the first move?

Lots of speculation. As Carl Sagan once said about the possible existence of extraterrestrials: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992
                Buildings are built to be as perfectly plumb as possible. The aircraft struck the buildings fairly high up. Had they been hit lower, and off to one side, the chances of a toppling collapse would have been much greater.

But in this case, the process of collapse -- the failures of floors and subsequent simultaneous failures of columns -- didn't impart sufficient lateral moment. The upper floors hit the lower portion of the building like an incredibly huge pile driver. Therefore the WTC towers fell perfectly straight down.

Looks like I'll have to see that film to get the rest of the story, tho.

Regarding evidence of conspiracies: There's a phenomenon known as the Texas sharpshooter syndrome. Have someone shoot wildly at a barn, then draw a bullseye around the tightest cluster of bullets. It can then be claimed that this is where the shooter was aiming. Sometimes we see patterns when there really is no pattern. Odd coincidences can sometimes be just that -- coincidences. Unless proven otherwise.

I've wondered what would have happened if Japan hadn't attacked Pearl Harbor. America would have delayed its entry into the European war. Germany might have overwhelmed England. The Allies would have lost a crucial staging point on the eastern side of the Atlantic. Germany might have had time to advance its nuclear physics knowledge and improve the V2 rocket... So maybe America itself allowed or covertly encouraged Japan to make the first move?

Lots of speculation. As Carl Sagan once said about the possible existence of extraterrestrials: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Well, you might want to look at the film. They DO address the planes hitting the tower, and that the second plane hit the tower near the SIDE and not directly in the middle. ALSO, the HUGE fireball on impact gave the film makers speculation that most of the fuel exploded OUTSIDE the building on the initial impact, meaning that a majority of it burned off before the plane really got too far inside the building.

I understand the piledriver concept, but all the eyewitness accounts of explosions in the BASE of the buildings , by news reporters AS IT WAS HAPPENING and witnesses who were interviewed, dictate that there were other things exploding around the time the planes hit.

Also, the fall of Tower 7 is mysterious at best, and the film covers this too.

You really ought to watch the film...it's all on youtube.com....just type in "Loose Change" and you'll find it in several parts. Believe me I'm not a big conpiracy theorist normally, and I STILL have trouble believing that our president, as evil as he is, could do such a thing, but there are many things on there that add to this theory, especially the CIA docs from the 60's that show this kind of plan for Cuba as well.

Wacth the film, and get back to me :-)
                Last edited by tikiyaki; September 6, 2006, 03:39 AM.

Comment

Essential reading from author Sam Harris in this LA Times opinion piece today. A self-professed liberal, Harris contends that the liberal left in America and Western Europe is dangerously out of touch with reality regarding Muslim extremists and the danger they present to civilization.
                  What he says about the conspiracy theorists:
                  Given the degree to which religious ideas are still sheltered from criticism in every society, it is actually possible for a person to have the economic and intellectual resources to build a nuclear bomb — and to believe that he will get 72 virgins in paradise. And yet, despite abundant evidence to the contrary, liberals continue to imagine that Muslim terrorism springs from economic despair, lack of education and American militarism.

At its most extreme, liberal denial has found expression in a growing subculture of conspiracy theorists who believe that the atrocities of 9/11 were orchestrated by our own government. A nationwide poll conducted by the Scripps Survey Research Center at Ohio University found that more than a third of Americans suspect that the federal government "assisted in the 9/11 terrorist attacks or took no action to stop them so the United States could go to war in the Middle East;" 16% believe that the twin towers collapsed not because fully-fueled passenger jets smashed into them but because agents of the Bush administration had secretly rigged them to explode.

Such an astonishing eruption of masochistic unreason could well mark the decline of liberalism, if not the decline of Western civilization. There are books, films and conferences organized around this phantasmagoria, and they offer an unusually clear view of the debilitating dogma that lurks at the heart of liberalism: Western power is utterly malevolent, while the powerless people of the Earth can be counted on to embrace reason and tolerance, if only given sufficient economic opportunities.

I don't know how many more engineers and architects need to blow themselves up, fly planes into buildings or saw the heads off of journalists before this fantasy will dissipate. The truth is that there is every reason to believe that a terrifying number of the world's Muslims now view all political and moral questions in terms of their affiliation with Islam.

Comment

For the LA Times to print an editorial like that is truly a watershed moment in modern media.

He nails it dead on. I been trying to say the same thing for nearly 5 years.
                    FutureNewsNetwork.com
                    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Just for the record --- if it isn't already obvious, I'm pretty far to the left; farther to the left than the majority of my friends, including the Alpha Female, who is also an unabashed and unashamed Liberal, bless her bleeding heart. I also have little-to-no trust to place in the Bush administration, its policies, actions and behaviors.

But (with apologies to my friend tikiyaki) I do not buy into these conspiracy theories, especially when many of those who espouse them, after being presented with an overwhelming amound of evidence to contradict them, respond with arguments that said evidence is "a little too convenient, don't you think?" Now, how do you have an intelligent debate with that?

Frankly, if I don't think the administration is smart enough to have kept us out of war, I certainly can't give them credit for the intelligence it would take to have done that much advance planning, preparation and covering-up.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                        For the LA Times to print an editorial like that is truly a watershed moment in modern media.

He nails it dead on. I been trying to say the same thing for nearly 5 years.
                        I’ve ignored your first few attempts to push this point, because you claim to have read the Koran cover to cover. However, as I see you never quote anything to back you up besides personal opinions of agnostic professors bent on stamping out organized religion (i.e Sam Harris), I have to discredit your baseless villification of Muslims.

Since you are so proud and fond of pulling “4:1 ratios” out of your @ss, let me give you a much more believable ratio: 1000:1. That is how many civilized, hard-working, “just like you and me” Muslims there are to the so-called Islamic fundamentalists who believe in using terrorism against their enemies.

IMHO, your views timkona, are simply based on racism and prejudice. But if you want to add some credibility to your arguments, you should start by sharing some of the research that you have sold on these boards, but so far not delivered.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                        USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp
                          Essential reading from author Sam Harris in this LA Times opinion piece today. A self-professed liberal, Harris contends that the liberal left in America and Western Europe is dangerously out of touch with reality regarding Muslim extremists and the danger they present to civilization.
                          What he says about the conspiracy theorists:
                          As this is an opinion from one American, the LA Times was allowing the writer to express his thoughts. It is by no means an endorsement by the LA Times and should not be construed as such. It is merely the LA Times allowing the writer to exercise his freedom of speech.

Miulang

P.S. Liberals have been known to change their minds, too.
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                            As this is an opinion from one American, the LA Times was allowing the writer to express his thoughts. It is by no means an endorsement by the LA Times and should not be construed as such. It is merely the LA Times allowing the writer to exercise his freedom of speech.
                            And what part of that wasn't clear from my post? I clearly described it as an 'opinion piece' and did not imply it was endorsed by the LA Times.

Originally posted by Miulang
                            P.S. Liberals have been known to change their minds, too.
                            Are you promising us something to look forward to regarding yourself?

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp
                              And what part of that wasn't clear from my post? I clearly described it as an 'opinion piece' and did not imply it was endorsed by the LA Times.

Are you promising us something to look forward to regarding yourself?
                              Maybe when hell freezes over and we see a woman (NOT Hilary or Condoleeeeeezza) in the White House, yeah! BTW: I am only a liberal in certain things. I am more of a fiscal conservative (live within your means and balance the budget, especially when it comes to governmental spending)

Miulang
                              Last edited by Miulang; September 18, 2006, 04:45 PM.
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
                                Sinceyou are so proud and fond of pulling “4:1 ratios” out of your @ss, let me give you a much more believable ratio: 1000:1. That is how many civilized, hard-working, “just like you and me” Muslims there are to the so-called Islamic fundamentalists who believe in using terrorism against their enemies.
                                1000 to 1? Don't have to name 999. Just name one. Name him or her. Where is the Muslim that will openly condemn the barbaric extremism WITHOUT A BUT THE JEWS, THE US, THE WEST>.......................?

Rushdie? Fatwa.
                                Van Gogh? Dead
                                Nun in Somalia? Dead
                                3000 innocent American men, women and children? Dead
                                Bali tourists? Dead
                                Pope? Called upon to be murdered.
                                I could go on but I don't need to.

Try again.

How can 1000 to 1 be so absolutely silent? They must be so un-muslim that they are too scared to openly oppose anyone who shames what you are claiming they really think it is to be Muslim.

No way. The active extremists are terrorists and the silent majority is partially to blame.
                                Last edited by kamuelakea; September 18, 2006, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X