Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Internment: Rethinking or Rewriting History?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Internment: Rethinking or Rewriting History?

Whatever you think of Rees, I hope you didn't miss his HPR "Counterpoint" show today. I listened to part of it. Malkin and Rees (who once called her a "know-nothing" in The Honolulu Weekly; I don't know if she's aware of that or not) had a strained but polite exchange. Malkin ended by saying civil liberties in wartime aren't sacrosanct, referring to the Declaration of Independence and saying "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" were put in that order according to importance. Rees replied that he was thinking more of the Bill of Rights, adding that the Constitution was the real backbone of the country.

Unfortunately, I don't think HPR has transcripts available of this program. Does anyone know for sure if HPR does or doesn't furnish transcripts of its programs?

Comment

I am sure there is no transcript. However, if you call David Chong at the studio (after 4 p.m.) he might be able to make a dupe for you
      That was Rees in response to an e-mail question I asked about a previous conversation he had with Jerry Coffee on air. It was right after Coffee made some remarks about dissent being a terrible thing during "wartime."

I don't think HPR has quite realized that it's a player in local news when it airs this kind of material. Maybe we should e-mail Mr. Titterton to ask him to put transcripts up (if possible).
      Last edited by Linkmeister; August 17, 2004, 07:54 PM. Reason: Clarification of form of question and HPR statement
      http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

I don't think HPR has quite realized that it's a player in local news when it airs this kind of material. Maybe we should e-mail Mr. Titterton to ask him to put transcripts up (if possible).
        Indeed, although HPR talk shows are unavailable in East Hawaii, except through digital cable. Readily available transcripts would spread the word about HPR, and maybe even buoy public support.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
          I don't think HPR has quite realized that it's a player in local news when it airs this kind of material.
          Local nothing. If they had a relatively level-headed panel that included Malkin, there are probably lots of people all over the country that would love to read what was said. In addition to scholars and historians, no doubt the blogosphere would parse every phrase she uttered.

Doesn't HPR archive and make available online some of its shows already? If so, I'm sure they'd be open to hearing requests to doing the same for this particular broadcast. As the Star-Bulletin has recognized, this issue is fodder for a debate that reaches much further than our shores.

Comment

Today's Ilind.net announces that Midweek is no longer carrying Michelle Malkin's column.

Comment

Fred Korematsu, who was convicted for refusing to comply with WWII internment orders, and whose conviction was eventually overturned in the 1980s, died yesterday at age 86.

Comment

Working...
              X