The Iraq War - Chapter 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Iraq War - Chapter 5

My boy Austin joined the USMC three days after graduating from Kamehameha/Keaau. He told me he wanted to support our troops by becoming one of them.

Austin just called me the other day telling me after infantry training at Camp Pendleton he's off to Afghanistan in March 2008. Apparently the Marines are withdrawing from Iraq, letting the US Army do mop up. The Marines' focus will be on Afghanistan.

I'm relieved he'll be in Afghanistan instead of Iraq as that's where the focus should have been. Even Lt. Watada indicated he would've gone to Afghanistan. But we're in Iraq and we gotta finish the job whether we like it or not. Leaving now sends the message that we can't finish something we started, like Vietnam or our involvement in the Afghan war against the Soviet invasion back in the late 70's early 80's.

But while some are deserting, my boy is advancing to the front lines and I'm so proud of him for offering his service to his fellow comrades who are already out there. He and I know he will be putting his life on the line but Austin told me he wants to help those out there in a direct way.

Putting a magnetic ribbon on your car is one way, volunteering to serve in the USMC and shouldering a rifle on the front lines takes guts and for that he and all those serving overseas commands my highest respect.

The war on terrorism may be wrong (I personally don't think so) but we must support or troops. Our Vietnam veterans never got the respect and proper treatment they should have gotten like our WWII Vets did. We can't make that same mistake again.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Austin is worthy of respect, Craig. I hope he will do a job that will make your `ohana proud, and will return home safe and unharmed.

Comment

Thanks. I told Austin that he has our entire family's support as he needs to stay focused. He (and the thousands of other troops out there) don't need to be sidetracked with worries from loved ones back home.

I told Austin not to worry about whether he made the right decision to go or not. You don't want troops on the front line getting second thoughts and then make a critical mistake because they weren't thinking about the mission.

Our troops need to stay focused and we need to support them not put thoughts of regret into their minds. You hesitate...you're dead. I want him back alive.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
          Thanks. I told Austin that he has our entire family's support as he needs to stay focused. He (and the thousands of other troops out there) don't need to be sidetracked with worries from loved ones back home.

I told Austin not to worry about whether he made the right decision to go or not. You don't want troops on the front line getting second thoughts and then make a critical mistake because they weren't thinking about the mission.

Our troops need to stay focused and we need to support them not put thoughts of regret into their minds. You hesitate...you're dead. I want him back alive.
          I really admire your son, Craig. He's going into the service for all the RIGHT reasons. Afghanistan is where we should have concentrated our efforts in the Middle East in the first place, not diluting our ability to defeat OBL by sending forces to Iraq. Now that we've totally botched up Iraq, let's make sure we don't botch up Afghanistan, too. Kabul was once a very beautiful city. It'll take years before it can again become the garden that it once was.

But I have faith in the Marines. They are a proud group and have a tremendous legacy of valor to fall back on. I hope he comes back safely before the end of 2008 and your family stays strong for him while he's over there.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
            I wonder what those deserters are thinking now?
            Sadly, that they have a lot of company.

Comment

Tomorrow night, my chilidren, grandchildren and I celebrate Christmas with my son. He leaves for Iraq soon.

In The Advertiser this morning:
              Hawaii Stryker tour in Iraq might shorten
              http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...11240322/1001/

By William Cole

"HICKAM AIR FORCE BASE — The top U.S. military commander in the Pacific said it's possible Hawai'i's Stryker brigade won't have to be in Iraq for a full 15 months after he returned upbeat from a stop in the country.

He cautioned that his optimism for the Stryker brigade's time in Iraq shouldn't be taken as a guarantee."

Auntie Lynn

BTW: It's KauKau Wagon's Thanksgiving's Saturday. Festivities start at 1:00 p.m.
              Last edited by 1stwahine; November 24, 2007, 05:44 AM. Reason: forgot the p. :)
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Did I ever tell you how much I hate this WAR?

I haven't had much sleep. I can't eat. The nightmares have started. I wake-up screaming. It's just the beginning.

My son leaves for his third deployment on Friday.

Auntie Lynn
                Last edited by 1stwahine; December 4, 2007, 05:33 PM.

Comment

My son called me last night. He's in Kuwait. He told me "Mom, Text me, it's cheaper!" I text him an essay of how much I love him and miss him!

They'll be entering Iraq soon.

My son and Hawaii's Stryker Brigade!

Hooha!!!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

How come the "surge" seems to start working, the casualties drop off, stability takes shape in Iraq and................................

Where's Miulang?

What Miulang. No bad news? Nothing to say. I thought you cared about the troops.

How about some addaboys! How about some links to some of the successes that might be going on in Iraq?

Nope

Silence from Miulang when things are going well (as well as a war can go)

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea View Post
                      How come the "surge" seems to start working, the casualties drop off, stability takes shape in Iraq and................................

Where's Miulang?

What Miulang. No bad news? Nothing to say. I thought you cared about the troops.

How about some addaboys! How about some links to some of the successes that might be going on in Iraq?

Nope

Silence from Miulang when things are going well (as well as a war can go)
                      Gomen. Working hard on some other things. No time to be here right now.
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                        Gomen. Working hard on some other things. No time to be here right now.
                        Funny kine no? Seems like you only have time when theres some "bad" news to report.

Democrat Murtha, the guy who compared U.S. troops to Nazis earlier now says this: "I think the 'surge' is working," Mr. Murtha, a Democrat, said in a video conference from his Johnstown office, describing the president's decision to commit nearly 30,000 additional troops at the beginning of the year.

In April, Democrat Reid said "This war is lost". Now he says the surge is working.

What fools.

How about you Miulang. You posted 1000 posts on how badly everything was going in Iraq, then you went silent. Hows the liberation of Iraq going?

Comment

Isn't there any bad news coming out of Iraq anymore?

I thought Iraq meant the end of Bush and the Republicans?

Where are all the horrible news stories?

Where are all the negative polls?

Helloooooooo?

Miulang?

Anybody home?

This was your passion.

Your reason for living on Hawaii Threads.

Now, pau?

Comment

Kam - have you nothing better to do than spend time baiting people here?
                            Or are you a master-bai ... no, not gonna finish that thought.

Comment

We were all pau at the Waianae Homeless Shelter. There was only Justin, my son-in-law and me.

"Thank you Justin. Next year will be better and bigger!"

"I won't be here mom, I leave for Iraq in October!"

Yes. Again.

I looked at him and smiled. I couldn't find any words to say but he knew how I felt.

PROUD.

Our men and women continue to go into harms way to fight against terrorism. Today, I mourn the death of Pakistan opposition leader Benazir Bhutto who was assassinated in a suicide attack!!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

My boy Austin is back here for a 10-day leave then it's off around the world for intense training then Afghanistan later this year. While here I upgraded his cell phone to the new G-zone.

The nice gal at the counter told me this was one rugged phone and asked what my boy was going to do with it? I smiled at her and told her as proudly as I could say it, "my boy is a US Marine and he's gonna need the toughest phone he can carry where he's going"

Comment

Working...
                                X