X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections

Originally posted by U'ilani View Post
    So much for the possibility of a fiscal conservative running for president.
    not like the current president is a fiscal conservative himself, "republican" stamp or not.
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

The United States Electoral College voted in a supposed fiscal conservative (see his gubernatorial record) to the office of President seven years ago, where he remains to this day. Barry Goldwater he ain't.

You'd have to vote for a neo-liberal or a libertarian candidate if you want true fiscal conservatism.
      "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Hey, Hawaii! I'm surprised you guys aren't commenting on this thread. Is it politics fatigue, not liking any of the candidates, or disappointment over June Jones's resignation that's got you guys so quiet? I'm also surprised that Miulang is so quiet.

I'm interested in hearing your views on the candidates.

I'm a Republican but I'm putting my bets on Obama. Bill Clinton is seemingly tearing apart his wife's lead simply with his attitude. I think he needs to step away from the spotlight so Hillary can make a fool of herself in her own words and gestures. Slowly the issues are moving away from the Iraq war to garnering the black vote.

I was amused on MLK day when Hillary spoke that, "We are all here..." because of MLK. Ummm I really believe Obama is here because of MLK. Ms. Clinton in all of her Bama Husband's glory got there because of him and he ain't black. Sorry Hillary...but you ain't no Martin Luther King.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
          I'm a Republican but I'm putting my bets on Obama. Bill Clinton is seemingly tearing apart his wife's lead simply with his attitude. I think he needs to step away from the spotlight so Hillary can make a fool of herself in her own words and gestures. Slowly the issues are moving away from the Iraq war to garnering the black vote.

I was amused on MLK day when Hillary spoke that, "We are all here..." because of MLK. Ummm I really believe Obama is here because of MLK. Ms. Clinton in all of her Bama Husband's glory got there because of him and he ain't black. Sorry Hillary...but you ain't no Martin Luther King.
          craig, when she said "we are all here..," it was pretty obvious she was making reference that MLK was an advocate for civl rights, which not only includes black rights, but women's rights and other minority groups' rights.

*raises eyebrow*

i'll point out here that mr. obama aint no martin luther king, either (some black leaders don't even consider him "black enough," for that matter).

in fact, it should be obvious that to hold any of the 2008 presidential candidates to that standard (of being MLK or MLK-like) is rather ludicrous. as far as i know, neither obama, edwards, or clinton ever made any statements to indicate that they should be held in the same echelon as MLK but were making statements as MLK admirers who intend to continue his legacy.

for those of you who think that bill is being too attack-doggy on obama, consider this: the republicans aint gonna play nice with whoever the dem nominee is. whatever bill's doing now will be a cakewalk compared to what the repubs would do to obama if he got the nomination, and if what bubba's saying is rattling obama at this point, then maybe obama isn't as transcendant a leader as he believes.
          Last edited by cynsaligia; January 23, 2008, 03:33 PM. Reason: antecedent
          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Well as a Republican I don't have much hope for that party winning by any margin.

I do believe our next president will be a Democrat. But I also believe Hillary was shooting for the black vote when she made her statements.

Comment

Well as a Republican I don't have much hope for that party winning by any margin.

I do believe our next president will be a Democrat.
              I totally agree with you, Craig. I'll also say, though, that if I knew what the last 7 years would have given us I would have gladly voted for Gore. Well, not "gladly," but maybe "resignedly".
              * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
              - Anna Quindlen

Comment

I totally agree with you, Craig. I'll also say, though, that if I knew what the last 7 years would have given us I would have gladly voted for Gore. Well, not "gladly," but maybe "resignedly".

Well I'm not sure how Gore would have handled 9-11...maybe taking away the internet possibly?

As I view the Republican camp, Huckabee sounds like the likely contender but up against even Edwards, I don't think he has a chance.

As for the first black president vs the first woman president...I think if the United States of America wants to have a first, I think we're ready for a first black president before the first woman president. I think the one major block for Obama is his age. Hillary is older hence supposedly more mature and I think that will carry her with the senior votes.

Now if Obama were a woman! Hmmm I think Hillary would win.

If I had my druthers I'd love to see Edwards battle Guiliani vs Edwards. Name recognition (Guiliani) vs Good Looks (Edwards). I love the underdogs.

Comment

As for the first black president vs the first woman president...I think if the United States of America wants to have a first, I think we're ready for a first black president before the first woman president. I think the one major block for Obama is his age. Hillary is older hence supposedly more mature and I think that will carry her with the senior votes.

Now if Obama were a woman! Hmmm I think Hillary would win.

If I had my druthers I'd love to see Edwards battle Guiliani vs Edwards. Name recognition (Guiliani) vs Good Looks (Edwards). I love the underdogs.
                  I think there is no way Obama will win the Democratic nomination, so the question is which of any of the Republicans could defeat Hillary. I think McCain is the only one that would have a chance because he gets the Independent vote, plus the conservatives who hate McCain would still vote for him because of their greater hatred for Hillary.
                  * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
                  - Anna Quindlen

Comment

But I also believe Hillary was shooting for the black vote when she made her statements.

no ish??!! golly, how manipulative and cunning of her!

and how foolish of obama & edwards not to have been doing the same during their speeches that day. what were they thinking? it was martin luther king day, for goodness' sakes!

Comment

The South Carolina Dem primary is today. Polls show Obama leading, trailed by HRC with special guest John Edwards bringing up the rear. It will be interesting to see if the polls are more accurate than they were in New Hampshire. Pundits explained the disconnect there by speculating that dems polled prior to the vote, who said they would support Obama, actually pulled the lever for HRC. This was due, some claimed, to latent racism/bigotry amongst the party members polled. I'm hoping for an Obama victory to even things up because I want to see a floor fight at the convention and we'll only get that if the delegate count is close and/or delegates are up for barter. Let the fun begin!
                      CNN coverage
                      AP story on Obama at Fox News
                      I should clarify that I want to see a floor fight at the convention because I'm tired of the coronation-like tone they have taken on. We need a choice.
                      Last edited by glossyp; January 26, 2008, 06:28 AM. Reason: Add info

Comment

Then there's the NY Times, whose endorsement of HRC is about as grudging as you can get. I like to see what NYers have to say, because the nation may still see her through the lense of First Lady, but NYers have her for a senator, thus they get a perspective on her leadership that we don't.

I respect all three of the current Dem candidates and will vote for any one of them over the majority of repubs in the running (and I considered myself a "McCainiac" 10ish years ago, but not now).

pax

Comment

I cannot believe that anyone in America would vote for Bill Clinton's wife.
                          http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                          http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Democrats are stuck on suicidal political tendencies. Edwards polled higher among conservatives than Clinton or Obama last year. Yet Dems would sooner choose a "feel-good" candidate, rather than a candidate who would likely snag some Republican votes on the way to the White House.

In the event of a HRC or BO candidacy, I predict another Republican administration, and a slug of bewildered Dems wringing their hands with no clue as to their political mistakes.
                            FutureNewsNetwork.com
                            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

I don't see McCain's burkah and one-way airplane jokes as being in any way professional.
                              http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                              http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                                Edwards polled higher among conservatives than Clinton or Obama last year. Yet Dems would sooner choose a "feel-good" candidate, rather than a candidate who would likely snag some Republican votes on the way to the White House.
                                There is no way, no how that Republicans would vote for John Edwards. I can actually see some of them voting for HRC because they'd rather have her preside over an economy in a recession than a Republican.
                                - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Working...
                                X