No announcement yet.

Driving cross-country...advice needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Driving cross-country...advice needed!

Hey LL! I've done this, and I recommend, with every fiber of my being, to hug north. I totally get wanting to do the Montana/Wyoming/Colorado, and I would skim the north of Nevada, aiming for Lake Tahoe, and then cross into CA, taking the I5 down to LA, stopping off in wine country for a little bit of ah, culture. This is one wikked hot summer and you do not want to be sweltering in the desert, trust me. However you got trumped from taking the southern routes, you need to get on your knees and thank Jesus for that.

trust me.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post

I'd really think twice about carrying gas containers. That's really not safe. Gasoline fumes are not just flammable, they are explosive. The sloshing of the gas is likely to cause the cans to vent. If they are strapped to the outside, that's fine. But inside - either the passenger or trunk - bad idea. Really bad idea. If you really get nervous in some areas, then don't let the gas tank get below 1/2 tank. Otherwise 1/4 tank should be fine. If you stick to the major highways you should be fine. The signs will warn you if there's a long stretch ahead with no stations.

...Since you're going through Denver, there should be some rocky mountain sites you should take in. Off hand, I'm not sure what. If you're going though the "Grand Junkyard" area (my friends name for her home town of Grand Junction), Colorado National Monument is well worth the drive. I got some nice photos there.
      I totally understand your point, and I'm looking through my TripTiks and they indicate which areas have no facilities whatsoever. Thankfully there's only one or two, I think. I'll be studying my TripTiks from now until next week.

Looks like our much of our Colorado/Utah route has been designated a Scenic Byway by AAA, so I'm excited to take in all the scenery.

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
      Hey LL! I've done this, and I recommend, with every fiber of my being, to hug north. I totally get wanting to do the Montana/Wyoming/Colorado, and I would skim the north of Nevada, aiming for Lake Tahoe, and then cross into CA, taking the I5 down to LA, stopping off in wine country for a little bit of ah, culture. This is one wikked hot summer and you do not want to be sweltering in the desert, trust me. However you got trumped from taking the southern routes, you need to get on your knees and thank Jesus for that.

trust me.
      Great to know! I still want to do the southern route eventually...but maybe we'll wait till after the summer's done!

One more week till I leave!
      Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
      We're not here to mess around
      Boston, you know we love you madly
      Hear the crowd roar to your sound
      Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
      You know we couldn't live without you
      Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Tomorrow is the day!

All my laundry is pau and I am finding myself in packing hell. Luckily I realized that I really don't need 10 pairs of jeans. I'm not having much luck with deciding on which SHOES to bring, however. I'm only taking up a medium sized suitcase and a backpack (my carry on) with me as I didn't want my things to be TOO heavy as the trunk and backseat space will be filled with her stuff. She shipped 90% of her belongings already, but we don't want the car to be too heavy, obviously.

I've been checking on weather.com and it looks like I'll have to pack for rainy/pleasant weather because we'll be getting a mix of both.

I'm so excited and happy and nervous at the same time!!!

Comment

If no one has told you yet: Pack half as many clothes and twice as much money. I'd also suggest not to try and do the whole vacation without a laundry stop. That will cut the number of clothes needed.

Comment

You gooo Liiiikoooo! I am green, girl! Enjoy!

Miz Mana'o wants one of these, a car to haul it, and to be on an interesting landmass big enough where such things are feasible, plus the solid three months' vacation time by which to enjoy it.

pax

Comment

Like Mana'o I'm green with envy! Have a wonderful adventure. It'll be a blast.
              I'm sorry I didn't see your packing post earlier as I humbly consider myself one of the world's great packing experts. I have done month-long stints in remote areas of the globe with varying climates from a single carry-on and a backpack/purse. Layers are the answer to the climate variations. Roll everything into compact cylinders and wear the heavy jeans, shoes and sweater or jacket on the plane. Don't forget the spaces inside shoes as a great place to stash undies.

Miz Mana'o wants one of these, a car to haul it, and to be on an interesting landmass big enough where such things are feasible, plus the solid three months' vacation time by which to enjoy it.
              That is the cutest thing I have ever seen! Australia maybe?

Comment

Miz Mana'o wants one of these
                The AF wants it to come with the pie as a standard feature.

Comment

Be sure to pack the camera! We want to see pictures!

Comment

Aloha from Denver (actually, Wheat Ridge), CO!

Just wanted to check in and say hi to all you wonderful people!

It's been a wild ride so far...

NYC was great. I got to see everything I wanted to see in the day I had to see the city. I could have done without taking the wrong subway (Express instead of Local) and ending up in Harlem, though.

The drive to Pittsburgh was beautiful, but massive thunderstorms greeted us on our drive into the South Side. Luckily, everything cleared up by the time the sun went down (almost 9pm on the summer solstice) and dinner and drinks with the girls were a blast.

I got my first taste of tollways as we went through Ohio and Indiana. The rest areas/travel plazas were cleaner than I thought they were gonna be. Still, we had to make use of our "Bathroom Kit".

Chicago was COLD. My friend's apartment in Lincoln Park got invaded not only by myself and my driving buddy, but also one of my girls from UH. She lives in the suburbs and we didn't want her taking the train by herself at night. Got drunk in Wrigleyville -- and you can imagine the craziness there on a Friday night after the Cubs won that night's Cross Town game.

The following morning was just plain MISERABLE. Thunderstorms were hell getting out of Illinois. We had a brief respite from the weather in Iowa, but even that state took forever to finish. The farm reports on the radio did give me a haha, but I'm never going to Iowa ever again.

Omaha was buzzing with College World Series fans. Got my fill of the steaks and even met random people from Hawaii at one of the bars over there.

The drive through Western Nebraska into Eastern Colorado wasn't too bad. In fact, we got great mileage and arrived earlier than expected. Now we're at the Holiday Inn Express right off the I-70 enjoying the great wireless connection. It'll be a chill kind of night for us. Dinner with some friends and then calling it an early night. We have a 6AM wake up call for the long haul to Vegas.

Send us good weather and save driving conditions vibes, please. I was worried that she and I would have killed each other by now, but I'm lucky to have such a good friend in her and I don't think I could have picked a better traveling buddy.

Till the next time...ALOHA from the Mile High City!

-LL

Comment

COOOOL!

It's HT's version of the Oprah and Gayle road trip! Stay safe, LL.

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                        The drive through Western Nebraska into Eastern Colorado wasn't too bad.
                        Unfortunately when they put the interstate through Nebraska they put it in the bottom of the Platte Valley, so you don't get to see any scenery at all. If you want to see nice scenery in Nebraska you have to get WAY off the interstate. (Generally a problem with the whole interstate system, but in particular I-80 through Nebraska is an eyesore that gives the state an undeservedly bad reputation.)

Comment

We had a brief respite from the weather in Iowa, but even that state took forever to finish. The farm reports on the radio did give me a haha, but I'm never going to Iowa ever again.
                          Frankly, if I didn't still have family there (my daughter), I might be in the same camp. There's really very little to draw one to that state (or much of that region overall.)
                          Originally posted by beaker View Post
                          Unfortunately when they put the interstate through Nebraska they put it in the bottom of the Platte Valley, so you don't get to see any scenery at all. If you want to see nice scenery in Nebraska you have to get WAY off the interstate.
                          Beaker's right; they chose a long, straight, flat, visually boring path for much of I-80 through the Midwest. Remember, the original concept for the Interstate Highway System was the quickest way to move the military around the country, so the fewer bumps and turns, the better. The best thing about driving west through the heartland is the eventual rise of the beautiful Rocky Mountains on the horizon ahead of you.

Comment

Till the next time...ALOHA from the Mile High City!
                            Too cool! Thanks for checking in! Are you logging your travels as you go, anywhere, by chance? Posting photos, if even from your cell phone? In any case, sounds like a great trip. Good vibes indeed coming your way!

Comment

Nice to hear that you are making good time and enjoying the adventure.

In defense of the middle of America, the land has a beauty all its own which is lost on many who prefer the drama of mountains or the lure of the ocean. There is a quiet grandeur in the rolling plains which go on farther than the eye can see and the flat lands which produce so much of the food that feeds the world. It is a subtle beauty which shifts with the seasons. The harsh winters give way to verdant springs which lead to golden summers and the bountiful harvests of autumn.

Comment

I went in a huge..oval I guess from Md, to Ga, La, Ok, Il, Oh, and back. Indiana is THE most boring state to drive through (I apologize to anyone who lives there)...avoid it if you can. And the Ok toll road we took has places where it's 60 or more miles between gas stations/rest stops. Be careful if you end up on it. I've never had to go so bad as I did there and there are no trees, few bushes and lots of barbed wire fences!
                                The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland was awesome! It's not on your way, but if you are ever out that way, check it out.
                                Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility. - Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                                X