Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 442 Regimental Combat Team and 100th Battalion

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    I do understand the Japanese of today are nowhere near what they were like prewar times. Here in Hawaii the Japanese culture of old is alive and well and I've heard people speak that if you really want to see what Japanese culture was like before WWII, come to Hilo where there are still a lot of Nisei who live those traditions.

I thought of a trip to Japan but I think I'd be in for a great disappointment. I dated a girl from Hiroshima and we still write to each other. She started her own translation company and is doing well there. Being from Hiroshima she still has the traditions of an earlier time by walking in my shadow, opening doors and pouring my drinks for me while I ate.

I told her, "You in America now, you don't have to do that here". To her it was dishonorable and she felt embarrassed. I felt embarrassed too but we both managed to work it out.

Japan? Maybe one day but not yet. For you tell my friend Robert Zix (Kamasami Kong) I said hi.

Yes. But it is growth. I think you not going to Japan because you scared of finding out truth. When you ready to face truth, and see yourself for real, you might want to try. Looking inside is scary, and I don't do it all for real too. Maybe even adults dont have real courage. Part of growing up is seeing adults are more human too. But I think if you have a strong sense of shame and honor, having Japanese people in Japan treat you as a gaikokujin would be too much trauma for you. This much I can understand as fellow Japanese. Some things you cannot do all at once.

But maybe because of 442nd RCT, I might have to owe thanks for less prejudice if I do become American one day.

Comment

Re: 442 Regimental Combat Team and 100th Battalion

Watanabesan, and the other shock is, we might be shocked too. Japanese might see what we lost in themselves the older ones too, of there fomer selfs. And see you as gaikokujin, the older ones think they too become gaikokujin after war. It will be sad for not just you, but for some people inside Japan too. It will be unique. Not like normal nihonjin/gaikokujin split. Watanabesan's japan I think will be again different. Maybe deep confusing feelings from older generation might release, seeing perfect English in you, but also seeing the japanese essence lost to us. We too in a different way become banana that Watanabe san, you more nihonjin than us. Other parts, you American, and we nihonjin. I think Watanabesan's trip might become very special and emotional for everyone.
      Maybe very spiritual. So it might be a mutual re-discovery for what it is to be nihonjin for not just you, but for Japanese in Japan.

I hope you make trip when you become ready.

Comment

Working...
      X