Virginia Tech shootings!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Virginia Tech shootings!

I'm disturbed by the fact that Korean communities around our nation should experience fears of retribution for the VT shootings. I don't think it's so far fetched to feel this way, but I truly hope those fears are unfounded.
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

I heard about it when I was having a tough time at work. It really made me realize how insignificant my problems were. Prayers and condolences to the families involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
        P.S. The Kansas-based Baptist church known for staging protests at the funerals of our soldiers who were killed in the Middle East have announced that they will be showing up at the funerals of the Virginia Tech victims. Talk about sick...enough politicizing of this tragedy. Can't the survivors grieve in peace?
        Fred Phelps is going to picket the VT funerals???? Oh. My. God.

pax

Comment

VA Tech has a standing rule of not allowing firearms on campus.

Now that is funny. This is EXACTLY the kind of rule that gets students killed fast.

And it should be obvious to everybody that this rule is not reality. It's a fakey-to-ralph feel good horse manure rule written by the types of people who think wishful thinking is the best defense against crazed fanaticists.
          FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

I can't believe on CNN they are saying if it was harder to get guns off the shelf this tradgedy would have been prevented. I don't think so. If someone is really intent on doing harm they will find a way to get the tools the perp needs. Luckily he didnt go buying grenades and stuff like that, cause I heard it is easy to get that stuff on the east coast.

They are also saying we need a system to report psychos. I seem to know a lot of psychos. where can I report them?

I think gun laws are only for the innocent and the law abiding. They sure stop the criminal element from getting guns!

Comment

We have a system to report psychos. In fact, this particular psycho was reported numerous times under academic AND medical circumstances.

The problem in America is that we have created an insulated environment for these types of people using the notion of "rights". You can't violate a person's rights even if it is to report that he might kill people.
              FutureNewsNetwork.com
              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
                Did anyone read the plays Cho wrote? And hes an English major???
                No I didn't read what he wrote but I did notice that the RA that was killed in the first attack was also an English major as well. So far no one has said if those two knew one another.

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                We have a system to report psychos. In fact, this particular psycho was reported numerous times under academic AND medical circumstances.
                All things happened during the Fall of 2005. So far no futher reports about him during the Spring of 2006 and the Fall of 2006. Did he behave better during that time?

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                  Fred Phelps is going to picket the VT funerals???? Oh. My. God.
                  Maybe it'll finally be the last straw, and something will be done about that creep.
                  http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                  http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
                    Maybe it'll finally be the last straw, and something will be done about that creep.
                    quite recently there were several parts of a BBC special uploaded on youtube (something like "most hated family in America") and I watched several parts of it (but not the whole thing). I learned a lot, and tried to put myself in their shoes, their understanding of conviction, and emulating those prophets of old, whose jobs it was to blast Israel for her wicked ways. I could do it in spurts, but I not mentally stay there, ya know?

pax

Comment

• Re: Virginia Tech shootings!

The problem in America is that we have created an insulated environment for these types of people using the notion of "rights". You can't violate a person's rights even if it is to report that he might kill people.
                      Curiously, you are actually making the point of the anti-gun lobby. Washington lawmakers such as New York Rep. Carolyn McCarthy have been trying for years to pass legislation that would allow relevant information like Cho Seung-Hui’s psych evaluation to be added to the national database that gun shop owners use for background checks.

To date, they have been unsuccessful. In the case of the Virginia Tech shootings, such legislation could have prevented this tragedy by giving the gun stores ALL of the information they needed to make an informed decision on whether to sell him a piece.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                      USA TODAY, page 2A
                      11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
                        Did anyone read the plays Cho wrote? And hes an English major???
                        I was too busy laughing at his video. The guy had a low "dumb guy" voice. If I had closed my eyes, I would have thought it was Randy from My Name is Earl.

I know. I have a dark sense of humor.
                        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Maybe he was an English major because that was the only way that he could communicate?
                          http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                          http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

The problem in America is that we have created an insulated environment for these types of people using the notion of "rights".

i wonder how the founding fathers would react to the statement that "rights" are a merely a "notion."
                            superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post

Graf #2) You're shifting from one extreme to the other, while ignoring the wide range in-between. There are first-world countries where gun ownership just isn't that big a way of life, and the laws are generally tight. They still have incidents of people obtaining guns, snapping and committing mass murders - but far less often than in the U.S. Then there are other nations that have very strong restrictions on gun ownership, yet guns can be obtained and the crime rate is high. Can anyone cite a country where gun laws are very lax, yet the crime rate involving weapons is very low?
                              Switzerland has already been mentioned. I'm pretty sure Finland falls in this category as well. Gun control is only a partial, highly debateable facet of this tragedy--and quite frankly, I doubt, along with you, that either side's policy could have prevented this awful event.

Prayers to all the victims and their families.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                                I was too busy laughing at his video. The guy had a low "dumb guy" voice. If I had closed my eyes, I would have thought it was Randy from My Name is Earl.

I know. I have a dark sense of humor.
                                I saw some speculation on fark that the voice was possibly fake, an attempt at machismo, and his voice was speculated to be higher.

Giving psychos airtime, tsk tsk. And he chose NBC.

Comment

Working...
                                X