Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Impeach President George W. Bush

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
    I beg to differ. Shame on you, Keanu. Didn’t you read the first post of this thread? Re-read it. The same principle applies to Hawai‘i.
    I don't need to reread it. Resolutions are not binding, It requests an action. Whether or not the action is acted upon is up to the discretion of the Requestee. Congress will not impeach President Bush so all this hype is much to do about nothing.

The Senate Concurrent Resolution introduced by the HI State Legislature is dead. Clayton Hee, Senate Judiciary and Labor Chair, probably realized there are more substantive things for him to consider.

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
      This Resolution is dead. I wonder who asked Senator Ihara to introduce it?

Resolutions do nothing; It just requests an action.
      Keanu, Remember dee MWH Resolutions?

Bye everybody!!! I'm officially on VACATION!

Love and ALOHA!!!

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Resolutions are not binding, It requests an action. Whether or not the action is acted upon is up to the discretion of the Requestee.
        You are incorrect in this case. Apparently, my original post went right over your head, so let me re-iterate for you: when a resolution requesting presidential impeachment from a state house and a concurrent resolution from that same state’s senate pass, Congress is required to consider it. This is according to rules established by Thomas Jefferson that govern the U.S. House of Representatives.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
        USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

You are incorrect in this case. Apparently, my original post went right over your head, so let me re-iterate for you: when a resolution requesting presidential impeachment from a state house and a concurrent resolution from that same state’s senate pass, Congress is required to consider it. This is according to rules established by Thomas Jefferson that govern the U.S. House of Representatives.
          This in itself poses an interesting quandry for the Democrats, because when they assumed control of Congress in January, they stated categorically that all talk of impeachment was "not on the table." So if it does come up for consideration, it's highly doubtful that much will come of it.

If anything, it will be a symbolic gesture (just as Clinton's "impeachment" was symbolic).

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Your understanding of the interworkings of government is lacking. "Required to consider" still leaves the action up to the discretion of the House and they WILL NOT ACT upon a state resolution to begin impeachment proceedings againt President Bush, not in this stage of his Presidency. Each month President Bush is in office only strengthens the position of the Democratic Party; Politics will always prevail on the field of legislative government.

This Resolution, and others like it, do nothing but make the drafters feel good about themselves.

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
            Bye everybody!!! I'm officially on VACATION!
            Happy vacation Aunty.

Comment

This Resolution, and others like it, do nothing but make the drafters feel good about themselves.

I'm pretty certain that Keanu is dead on the money on this one, TuNnL.

For instance, "No weapons allowed on Virginia Tech campus"
              FutureNewsNetwork.com
              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

"Required to consider" still leaves the action up to the discretion of the House and they WILL NOT ACT upon a state resolution to begin impeachment proceedings againt President Bush, not in this stage of his Presidency.
                I see now that we are arguing about two different things, Keanu. I was not implying that the House would act to begin impeachment proceedings, but rather that House rules require the resolution to be immediate introduced, which would at the very least, refer the charges to committee. That alone, would be worth the effort, as it would demonstrate that the American people did not sit idly by while the president made a mockery of the democratic process. It would show they attempted to hold him accountable for his actions.

You can be sure whatever happens to such a resolution, it would receive more coverage than C-Span, which would also serve to re-assure the international community that the U.S. still retains some control over the “unchecked power” of its commander-in-chief.

Politics will always prevail on the field of legislative government.
                On this much, we agree.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

Which thought is scarier: having Bush limp along as a lame duck for the next 2 years, or getting rid of the whole bunch and having Nancy Pelosi (who by the Constitution is #3 in line for the Presidency) take over?

Miulang
                  Last edited by Miulang; April 21, 2007, 05:05 PM.
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

The whacked out fringe left has never been so close to so much power. They must be nearly giddy with anticipation.
                    FutureNewsNetwork.com
                    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

I really can't stand politics but I am forcing myself to pay more attention and even voted in the last election (this is a big thing for me) because as my husband says -'don't complain if you don't do anything about it'.

I personally say if we/they can impeach fine but at this point we are almost rid of him so whateva.. but I am begging please please don't let Jeb have a turn!
                      Looking for an old friend Nathan Bellinger, appreciate any help.

Comment

Apparently, there are liberal Democrats and there are "Blue Dog" Democrats. Nancy Pelosi has been characterized as a "Blue Dog" candidate, and has many liberals fuming. Apparently, even though she is from San Francisco, she is more politically pragmatic and tends to side with the Blue Dogs more than with her uber liberal brethren, in part because one of her missions is to secure a Democratic majority in Congress for many years to come.

Miulang

Comment

Why should we concern ourselves with what the "Islamic world" thinks of the Bush administration?
                          simply put, we should care because of 9/11. most americans, taking the lead of 43, did not care what the islamic world thinks of us. and look what happened.

its 2007, not 1807 or 1907, and having the kind of policies where "if you are not with us, you are against us" or where other nations are relegated to being part of an "axis of evil" does not work in the current arena of world politics the way it might in school playground politics. no nation can succeed long in a vaccuum where it surrounds itself only with friends and listens only to the opinions of friends...as long as those opinions are the same.

thankfully, the current administration might be (totally belatedly) realizing why concerning ourselves with what others think matters. despite cheney's criticizing pelosi for going to syria, republicans also went to syria (cheney's problem with pelosi going to syria was that...it was pelosi going to syria). bill bradley, with bush's blessing, is going to north korea.
                          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Why should we concern ourselves with what the "Islamic world" thinks of the Bush administration?
                            We should care what the entire world thinks of us Keanu, particularly the Islamic Nations. Unfortunately the Bush administration is what is representing us to the world at this point. Unless we make it clear that we don’t agree with his aggressive “I don‘t care politics”, we will be considered the “invader”. (And according to statistics most of the country is not happy with the way things are going in this administration.) When we stop attacking sovereign nations that have done nothing to us ~ close our borders and become an isolated entity that has nothing to do with the rest of the world then perhaps we can disregard what the world thinks of us. So you don’t want to know what affect we are having on a huge part of the world and how they feel about our country? We are all connected Keanu and unless and until we realize that there will be war…
                            "When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
                              simply put, we should care because of 9/11. most americans, taking the lead of 43, did not care what the islamic world thinks of us. and look what happened.
                              9/11 would have happened even if Al Gore was President. Osama Bin Laden issued his Fatwa against America in 1998, while President Clinton was still in office.

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
                              thankfully, the current administration might be (totally belatedly) realizing why concerning ourselves with what others think matters. despite cheney's criticizing pelosi for going to syria, republicans also went to syria (cheney's problem with pelosi going to syria was that...it was pelosi going to syria). bill bradley, with bush's blessing, is going to north korea.
                              What motivated Pelosi's visit to Damascus? Many believe her visit was an attempt to embarrass President Bush and undercut current U.S. policy, I would concur. If her visit to Syria against the President's wishes wasn't enough, she told Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, that she came to relay a message from Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Omert that Israel was ready to engage in peace talks. Only problem was, Olmert made no such comment. Pelosi's trip to Syria was irresponsible to say the least. She may be the Speaker of the House but she is not the President.

Comment

Originally posted by greentara View Post
                                We should care what the entire world thinks of us Keanu, particularly the Islamic Nations. Unfortunately the Bush administration is what is representing us to the world at this point. Unless we make it clear that we don’t agree with his aggressive “I don‘t care politics”, we will be considered the “invader”. (And according to statistics most of the country is not happy with the way things are going in this administration.) When we stop attacking sovereign nations that have done nothing to us ~ close our borders and become an isolated entity that has nothing to do with the rest of the world then perhaps we can disregard what the world thinks of us. So you don’t want to know what affect we are having on a huge part of the world and how they feel about our country? We are all connected Keanu and unless and until we realize that there will be war…
                                President Bush may have exacerbated emotions but he did not create them. Much of the Islamic world dislikes the United States because the U.S. supports the existence of Israel.

Should America lend an ear to terrorists and terrorist enablers? Should America help facilitate the will of those who wish to create a worldwide caliphate and impose sharia law on the masses?

As an aside, I think the President created quite a mess in Iraq but he alone did not create the sentiments of the Islamic world.
                                Last edited by Keanu; April 22, 2007, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X