Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Impeach President George W. Bush

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
    I see now that we are arguing about two different things, Keanu. I was not implying that the House would act to begin impeachment proceedings, but rather that House rules require the resolution to be immediate introduced,

My mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
      President Bush may have exacerbated emotions but he did not create them. Much of the Islamic world dislikes the United States because the U.S. supports the existence of Israel.
      If AIPAC didn't have such a stranglehold and contribute so much money (and therefore wield so much influence) on Congress, there most definitely would be more hope for detente. But Americans historically have always preferred "underdogs"...who invariably, once they become powerful, tend to bite us in the okole.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

President Bush may have exacerbated emotions but he did not create them. Much of the Islamic world dislikes the United States because the U.S. supports the existence of Israel.

Should America lend an ear to terrorists and terrorist enablers? Should America help facilitate the will of those who wish to create a worldwide caliphate and impose sharia law on the masses?

As an aside, I think the President created quite a mess in Iraq but he alone did not create the sentiments of the Islamic world.
        Muslims account for one-fifth of the world's population. What are the basic principles of their faith? What are the tensions between progressive and reactionary forms of contemporary Islam? And how is Sharia (Islamic) law interpreted in different local cultures and circumstances? These are all questions we need to ask ourselves if we are to understand Islam. I don't think you mean to include all of the Islamic world in your statement Keanu; "Should America lend an ear to terrorist", or perhaps you do I don't really know.

The issue of Israel can be taken from two perspectives, does the US support Israel or does the US condemn Palestine? One must realize that the indigenous (for lack of a better word) people living in the area that is now Israel have been there for over a thousand years. I understand both perspectives and can see both sides of the question. The loss of life is sad any way you look at it.

We had the sympathy of the world after 9-11. But the way Bush responded to this by sanctifying the invasion of Iraqi in his universal search for "terrorist" will damage us for years. We were lied to as a nation and personally I resent that (WMDs). I was proud to be an American but now I’m not so sure. Does anyone remember how we condemned Russia for the invasion of Afghanistan? What is the difference between Iraq and Afghanistan?

If and when we can reverse the generational hatred that Mr. Bush has perpetuated remains to be seen. BTW I am not Islamic just in case anyone is wondering why I would defend their perspective. When something is a threat to me my way of dealing with it is to “Google” and find out as much as I can about what is causing anxiety. Before 9-11 I knew little about Islam but after 9-11 I wanted to know what exactly the motivation for all of this hatred is. We need to separate what a fundamentalist Muslim is in the same way we need to separate what a fundamentalist Christian is.

Why is life so complicated ~ I just want to sit on the beach and chill...

"When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Comment

WMD's have been found in Iraq on at least 3 separate occasions, for a total of over 500 rounds of ammunition. I will cite that if asked. But a google search is all it took.

Now I will admit that they were old, likely inert, perhaps even no longer live, but to say the WMD's were not found in Iraq is a patent lie. In fact, it is the favorite lie that liberals like to spread in their never ending quest to rewrite the history books.
          FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
            WMD's have been found in Iraq on at least 3 separate occasions, for a total of over 500 rounds of ammunition. I will cite that if asked. But a google search is all it took.

Now I will admit that they were old, likely inert, perhaps even no longer live, but to say the WMD's were not found in Iraq is a patent lie. In fact, it is the favorite lie that liberals like to spread in their never ending quest to rewrite the history books.
            Oh come on now Tim what a blanketed statement that "liberals rewrite the history books". Seems to me that that has been the job of the male dominated conservative fraction of this society for many many years. I thought you said you were a “republicrat” or something like that you are sounding rather fundamentally one sided with a statement like that.

And do site your WMDs sources we must always consider the sources ~ so you just said they were not a threat to our nation for various reasons like they were old not functional etc. You think the premise is worth the loss of life from not only our brave young men/woman but the thousands upon thousands of Iraqi women and children... Don't know about you but the loss of innocent life is a horror in my world.

"When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Comment

Don't know about you but the loss of innocent life is a horror in my world.

So you agree that Saddam Hussein was the devil?? You have confused me now.

www.humanevents.com/sarticle.php?id=10101

a google search gives lots of results, but I chose this one because it's coming from a former NYTimes writer. If you can't believe the liberal propaganda coming from the Times, what liberal propaganda do you believe?
              FutureNewsNetwork.com
              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

You knew what I meant Tim by the statement: You think the premise is worth the loss of life from not only our brave young men/woman but the thousands upon thousands of Iraqi women and children... Don't know about you but the loss of innocent life is a horror in my world.
                Don't play word games and pretend that you just don't get it by saying you are confused and don't take my statements out of contex..I know you're more intelligent than that.

Yes, there are many cruel leaders like Saddam in this world so do we invade ALL of the many countries that have leaders like Saddam. Or just the countries that Bush has a vendetta against?
                Last edited by greentara; April 22, 2007, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                  Don't know about you but the loss of innocent life is a horror in my world.

So you agree that Saddam Hussein was the devil?? You have confused me now.

www.humanevents.com/sarticle.php?id=10101

a google search gives lots of results, but I chose this one because it's coming from a former NYTimes writer. If you can't believe the liberal propaganda coming from the Times, what liberal propaganda do you believe?
                  FORMER ~ (key word)...NY Times writer the site you put forth is an extremely "conservative" point of view, The web site is Human Events leading the conservative movement since 1944 ~ oh that one is not too biased…however even conservative political minds say that WMD's as a threatening term was a bit over the top - most of what was found was out dated and no threat to our country.

Comment

Originally posted by greentara View Post

Yes, there are many cruel leaders like Saddam in this world so do we invade ALL of the many countries that have leaders like Saddam. Or just the countries that Bush has a vendetta against?
                    We reward those despots who we think can help further our imperialism (think Saddam before we decided he wasn't playing our game anymore or the last Shah of Iran) and try to overthrow those despots who stand in the way of our vested interests (think Hugo Chavez and his oil reserves).

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                      We reward those despots who we think can help further our imperialism (think Saddam before we decided he wasn't playing our game anymore or the last Shah of Iran) and try to overthrow those despots who stand in the way of our vested interests (think Hugo Chavez and his oil reserves).

Miulang
                      Exactly...I was going to bring up the oil issue ~ I wonder who would win in a duel between El Diablo and Chavez...

Comment

Getting back to the topic, the Los Angeles Times is reporting the reason the Vermont House of Representatives has been slow to pass a concurrent resolution (this is still needed to get the ball rolling in Congress). Apparently, the house speaker feels that impeachment would be an unnecessary distraction from the important goal of withdrawing our troops from Iraq.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                        USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by greentara View Post
                          Muslims account for one-fifth of the world's population. What are the basic principles of their faith? What are the tensions between progressive and reactionary forms of contemporary Islam? And how is Sharia (Islamic) law interpreted in different local cultures and circumstances? These are all questions we need to ask ourselves if we are to understand Islam. I don't think you mean to include all of the Islamic world in your statement Keanu; "Should America lend an ear to terrorist", or perhaps you do I don't really know.
                          Those questions would leave one to believe that Islam is misunderstood by westerners, and that may be true but that is only because radical Muslims have been at the forefront of the religion in the media.

I didn't mean to reference all of the Islamic world with my previous statement, just the rulers of certain Islamic countries, and those that share their views.
                          Last edited by Keanu; April 22, 2007, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Those questions would leave one to believe that Islam is misunderstood by westerners, and that may be true but that is only because radical Muslims have been at the forefront of the religion in the media.

I didn't mean to reference all of the Islamic world with my previous statement, just the rulers of certain Islamic countries, and those that share their views.
                            Absolutely Keanu it is difficult to even "want" to understand a group of people that have such radical movements in the forefront. Treatment of women is a major issue with me. The murder of VanGough was another source of anger. But back on topic ~ thought the discussion of the war was kind of on topic because that is the tipping point for the Impeachment, is it not??? If not, sorry to have strayed...

Comment

Originally posted by Sharks Cove Wahine View Post
                              I personally say if we/they can impeach fine but at this point we are almost rid of him so whateva..
                              Apparently, the Vermont House of Representatives agrees with you, Sharks Cove Wahine. They decided not to support their colleagues in the Vermont Senate, by voting down the impeachment resolution.

This effectively eliminates the requirement that the measure be introduced in Congress.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                              USA TODAY, page 2A
                              11 March 1993

Comment

Working...
                              X